mITX board suggestions.

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
We started talking about boards and cases in my other thread here.

I have also cahnged from mATX to mITX becasue of options, like the M2 wifi/BT. And, why not!? After researching it, the mITX form is wonderful for one Video card and two to three hard drives. All I will ever need. I just wanted to open it up to others for MB specific comments. I'm going to get one of these boards, unless there is valid objections. Please let me know your thoughts:

Amazon review %ages

MSI Performance Gaming AMD Ryzen 1st and 2nd Gen AM4 M.2 USB 3 DDR4 HDMI Display Port Mini-ITX Motherboard (B450I Gaming Plus AC) (Supports AIO)

5 stars = 65%
4 stars = 17%
3 stars = 6%
2 stars = 3%
1 stars = 9%

ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Motherboard (Mini ITX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450 (AIO support, but ships with BT 4.2 module, not BT 5.0, and not that big of a deal for now.)

5 stars = 71%
4 stars = 15%
3 stars = 4%
2 stars = 4%
1 stars = 6%

GIGABYTE B450 I AORUS PRO WiFi (AMD Ryzen AM4/M.2 Thermal Guard with Onboard WiFi/HDMI/DP/USB 3.1 Gen 2/Mini ITX/Motherboard) (NO AIO support)

5 stars = 66%
4 stars = 10%
3 stars = 5%
2 stars = 7%
1 stars = 12%

If no one has any more comments, I think I'm going to go with ASUS and live with BT 4.2 for now. They all have their DOAs and other problems, but it looks like the ASUS has less of all of it. The BT 4.2 on the ASUS board is a bummer, but I'm mainly wanting the board to perform with all of its options and to be stable, no missing RAM issues, overheating VRMs, LED controls/lights not working, DOAs, and you all know the drill. I'm Gigabyte shy since I had two bad x58 motherbaordsback in tehday, both would report 6 RAM DIMMs in 6 slots, but could only use 4 of those. The problems manifested over time. I actually bought a second board and then the RAM was identified, and then after a couple of years, nope! Same problem. So I'm a little gun shy about Gigabyte. At least two reviewers on Amazon said the above Gig board would not post RAM inslot two,only one! Been there done that!

So, what do you all think?

No asrock b450 fatality? Any reason why not? I’ve got the b350 version and it’s solid.

I have the Asus Strix and a couple of the Asrock Fatality's. I can't comment on the Asrocks much as they have just been plug and play simple setups.

My main system has the Strix and I like it because it has the ROG bios, not the look but all the of settings you get on a higher end board. So if you want to OC and tweak
it may be a good option for you.

I'm very interested in this. Got a few parts already available(from upgrades to other systems I built) and want to create a Mini ITX system. Currently got an Nvidia 1060 6GB card, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance RAM, and I can grab a M.2 SSD from one of my other systems.

I know its $100 more but does anyone have any hand on with the
ASUS X570-I ROG Strix AMD AM4 Mini-ITX Motherboard?

I had the strix an it was finicky with the memory but i think thats a chance you could have with any mobo. What CPU are you gonna toss in it? My vote is just go all out! https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Impact/
YEah I wish. This is a budget build. I'm going to use the AMD 2700x and Silicon power Ram 32GB x216GB. Crosses fingers!
Silicon Power: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PV7ML3R/ref=ox_sc_act_title_16?smid=A25SITGFW0OQJA&psc=1
81XZbzEeyrL._SL1500_.jpg

But I just noticed this set went from 129 to 154,and now is priced with Corsair Vengeance, at 157.00, which I will now probably switch to. Silicon Power just priced itself out of the competition.
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W-Vengeance-PC4-25600-Desktop/dp/B07GSKGSM6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=68BOV7X2XA2V&keywords=corsair+32gb+ddr4&qid=1581569086&s=electronics&sprefix=Corsair+32GB,electronics,213&sr=1-4
71ylQfVaclL._SL1500_.jpg

DO you know if theRAM LED lights are controllable through the MB or MB software? I'd HATE to find out that they are perma on in vomit mode.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok makes sense. i would make sure you get some ram that has been confirmed to work. im sure the corsair has been confirmed. only input i have to offer is i used the strix an once i got the memory issue sorted it was perfect.

I'm going to see about creating my first AMD build. Possibly a Ryzen 2600 or 2700 and this is the case I'm going to be using:
Thermaltake Core V1 SPCC Mini ITX Cube Gaming Computer Case Chassis

Going to give myself ~$400-$500 for the budget and I've already got a few components already. Going to be checking the FS/FT Forum and hopefully I can find some good deals.

The Gigabyte DOES support AIOs....

I just built a system using the Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming and a 3700x and I'm not in love with the board. Compared to my old Gigabyte Z270 Gaming ITX board it's incredibly annoying to use; the BIOS, some of the layout decisions (SATA ports to the left of the RAM slots?), and software packages are just frustrating. So far it seems stable and I've had no memory issues. I may return it and either pick up the Gigabyte board or return it all and pick up a Gigabyte Z390 board and 9700k as the 3700x is proving to be no faster at gaming than the old 7700k that it replaced.

The Gigabyte DOES support AIOs....

I just built a system using the Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming and a 3700x and I'm not in love with the board. Compared to my old Gigabyte Z270 Gaming ITX board it's incredibly annoying to use; the BIOS, some of the layout decisions (SATA ports to the left of the RAM slots?), and software packages are just frustrating. So far it seems stable and I've had no memory issues. I may return it and either pick up the Gigabyte board or return it all and pick up a Gigabyte Z390 board and 9700k as the 3700x is proving to be no faster at gaming than the old 7700k that it replaced.
No kidding. It won't be as long as you have enough power to run the reqs of the game. It doesn't matter if you run a Cray, as long as you don't run out of GPU and CPU. If you mean you want more FPS, then I'd look into a better video card. However, that's a different topic than the one in this thread.

Well, I'm glad you posted about the ASUS board itself. I was already leaning towards the Gig board. I'll probably get the Auros B450 Pro Wifi ITX board. I just have PTSD about using another Gig board when I along with many others had RAM problems with their x58 MBs back in teh day. Never did get it sowrted, even after RMAing the first board and buying a second one. Guess I'll cross my fingers, build it, turn it on, and hope I see booth banks of ram posting and accessible. :(

Last edited:
Ok makes sense. i would make sure you get some ram that has been confirmed to work. im sure the corsair has been confirmed. only input i have to offer is i used the strix an once i got the memory issue sorted it was perfect.
The QVL leaves out a lot of RAM options on both of the boards I listed. Silicon Power isn't even listed. I'm pretty sure the Corsair is because it is so main stream, but I'll check both boards QVL list again. I'm leaning towards the Gig board right now, but the ASUS will being stock sooner. The gig board is also 20 dollars cheaper and has BT 5instead of 4.2 on teh ASUS board. For some reason, ASUS stuck a second M2 drive slot in their board, so they had to charge more for it. Using the second M2 slot forces the PCIe 16 card slot to run at x8, so I have no idea what they were thinking, since this is billed as a "gaming" board,and no gamer is going to use a modern card at x8. lol

e.g., The Corsair RAM I listed isn't even on the GIG QVL or the ASUS QVL. lol
ASUS QVL for the ROG Strix Gaming ITX
GIGABYTE B450 Arus Wifi ITX QVL download page (Pinnacle)

What issues did you have with the RAM and ASUS board?

Last edited:
No kidding. It won't be as long as you have enough power to run the reqs of the game. It doesn't matter if you run a Cray, as long as you don't run out of GPU and CPU. If you mean you want more FPS, then I'd look into a better video card. However, that's a different topic than the one in this thread.

Well, I'm glad you posted about the ASUS board itself. I was already leaning towards the Gig board. I'll probably get the Auros B450 Pro Wifi ITX board. I just have PTSD about using another Gig board when I along with many others had RAM problems with their x58 MBs back in teh day. Never did get it sowrted, even after RMAing the first board and buying a second one. Guess I'll cross my fingers, build it, turn it on, and hope I see booth banks of ram posting and accessible. :(

A more powerful GPU than a 2080ti? I felt the same about Asus after some issues with P97 boards back in the day.

Last edited:
A more powerful GPU than a 2080ti? I felt the same about Asus after some issues with P97 boards back in the day.
If the game doesn't demand anymore CPU than you have, then you won't get any benefit from it. Anyway, I read about RAM problems on both boards, so I'll guess I'll just go for it. Can't understand all there is to know about internals like that. Plug and Pray.

Back