MIT Develops Autonomous Robotic Earthworm

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you have a lake full of robotic fish, their number could be up soon. :D MIT researchers have developed a robotic worm capable of autonomous movement, goes over almost any terrain and is virtually indestructible. The prototype robot will aid researchers in developing more sophisticated bots for a variety of uses.

damn, I thought I read that as "goes through almost any terrain" and I thought we had something super useful.

389684_10150780383307245_1316733572.jpg

Naughty tentacles!

Ditch the wires, add some randomness to the movement, cover with something slimy, scare girls to death.

Your next (or first) prostate exam: "Relax while I insert my worm up your anus"....:eek::D

My first thought was this could be the forunner to an autonomous condom that was programable with several skills. My second thought went back to when I was growning up and we had a Oster hot dog cooker that basically used 2 electrodes to zap the weanie. :eek:

Ditch the wires, add some randomness to the movement, cover with something slimy, scare girls to death.

There, there...we all knew that it would be MIT that would finally replace men with something that's durable enough to last longer than a few minutes.

I'm tired of seeing supposedly amazing robots that have to be tethered to a bunch of wires to power and control it. They hit it with a hammer like it is indestructible, but if it had to contain its own power source and controls it surely wouldn't be. I've seen far too many robots that they completely ignore the fact that it has a huge nest of wires connected to it just to make it work.

Looks more like a slug to me. Slow as fuck, too. Interesting, though.

I thought of this when I saw this thread over on reddit.

If these things can burrow through the dirt, I think it'd open up a huge business running pipe or cable.

I'm tired of seeing supposedly amazing robots that have to be tethered to a bunch of wires to power and control it. They hit it with a hammer like it is indestructible, but if it had to contain its own power source and controls it surely wouldn't be. I've seen far too many robots that they completely ignore the fact that it has a huge nest of wires connected to it just to make it work.

I think we have wireless technology down pat. Instead of wasting batteries on remaining wireless, wired may be best for continuing researches for things like joint movements, precision and so forth. I think once we have all that down pat we can focus on the other side of robotics - artificial intelligence and complete autonomy from direct human control.

Back