spacegravity4me
n00b
- Joined
- Jan 12, 2008
- Messages
- 14
My point from earlier, before the thread was closed, was that neither linux or windows is able to see my 100GB hard drive as 97.3 GB after a full format. Instead it shows my total hard drive space is 93.2 GB. What changed to make me lose 4 GB of, what is in my situation, very valuable storage space? To clarify. One time I formated my hd by using windows partitioning software BEFORE I installed Vista, the software that asks you which drive you'd like to install Vista to; the software that shows up during the Vista installation, and it showed 97GB. Later, after having used Vista's "internal" (i.e. post vista install. While using vista.) partitioning software I deleted some partitions and then something changed. Vista now read that I only had 93GB. I was confused as to what to do. With my acer recovery disks not working for an unknown reason, I was left with two options. 1. restart the pc and let the vista upgrade disc boot and reinstall windows, thus allowing it to be reformatted in the process, and hopefully undoing whatever it was I did. OR 2. restart my pc with the ubuntu 7.10 cd in the tray, boot to the live cd, choose to install to my pc, and then choose the option that uses my entire drive, sans partitions, when installing, thus reformatting my computer and undoing whatever it was i did. I chose option 1, but upon reaching the install screen windows still read that the HD was 93GB. I deleted the info on the drive, as I was given the option, and installed vista again only to find the problem not solved. I then chose option 2. Option two had worked previously(thus I've swithed through operating systems repeatedly in attempts to fully format my hd) however now it is not working either. Thus, even with my HD formatted, all partitions deleted, etc. My computer only reads my HD as 93GB instead of 97GB. Yes, I know what is normal as far as how much space is usually seen on HD's despite what is advertised on the box, and I am telling you that normal for mine is 97GB, not 93GB! I am not being rude, I am simply very short on time. Very. Has anyone ever had this problem before? Perhaps, upon installation, neither OS fully formated my HD and undid my mistake? Is there another way to completely format my pc? I need help. Sorry about the caps and all. Whatever, when in rome I suppose. The forums I usually use don't fuss about such things, so I appologize. Classic noobness. lol Any help is greatly appreciated and please don't lock this thread either. I hope I've made everything as clear as possible this time, I was in a great hurry earlier and freaked out slightly. Thank you and I look forward to any responses you may have.


