Misconfigured Firebase instances leaked 19 million plaintext passwords

Good find, thank you for sharing.
Love the reaction to finding out about it... you can't make this shit up. :meh:

lulz.png

Yeah, but what is it really? Those descriptions are so vague and jargon filled to be meaningless.
It is Googles cross platform SDK.

Firebase provides detailed documentation and cross-platform app development SDKs, to help you build and ship apps for iOS, Android, the web, Flutter, Unity, and C++.
It also serves as the platform that hosts the backend and database hosting services.
https://firebase.google.com/docs/web/setup

Yeah, but what is it really? Those descriptions are so vague and jargon filled to be meaningless.

It's basically a cloud database. It's nice for hobbiests because you can use it for free and you don't need a server or anything really.

I used it for a few things on my website. Sharing builds for Smite, a chat bot, and a thing that let's you watch youtube videos together. I never stored any plain text passwords with it, or any passwords at all, because I'm not a dumbass.

A collection of services and tooling for app development.

Database, authentication, functions as a service, message queues, storage, CDN, etc. It leans into the serverless mentality.

It's basically a cloud database. It's nice for hobbiests because you can use it for free and you don't need a server or anything really.

I used it for a few things on my website. Sharing builds for Smite, a chat bot, and a thing that let's you watch youtube videos together. I never stored any plain text passwords with it, or any passwords at all, because I'm not a dumbass.

I don't know why anyone even would - it literally has an authentication service that handles this for you? Wild.

A collection of services and tooling for app development.

Database, authentication, functions as a service, message queues, storage, CDN, etc. It leans into the serverless mentality.

I don't know why anyone even would - it literally has an authentication service that handles this for you? Wild.
Because if you google How to create a user database in Firebase, every tutorial I have seen so far has you do just that.

The typical, developers deploying apps and infra they do not understand the basics about when it comes to security. So they just deploy and "it works great I am done!" and on they go about their day.

Back