Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Impressive graphics, I really need to play the first one. What engine are they using?

Impressive graphics, I really need to play the first one. What engine are they using?

They are designating it as Frostbite 3 (same with all the other next wave of games such as BF4). BF3 uses Frostbite 2.

Mirror's Edge 1 used UE3.

more PhysX exclusives?

I don't think it will. The reason Mirror's Edge uses PhysX in a large part is because UE3 uses PhysX. You'll also note that other prominent games with PhysX such as Batman and BL2 are also UE3.

Apparently this is a reboot. Like WTF?! What is there to reboot, the first one only came out 4 years ago!

Apparently this is a reboot. Like WTF?! What is there to reboot, the first one only came out 4 years ago!

I'm 15% sure the first one had a story:

You live in a world where dictators have mandated everything be clean.
You are a runner, they run from stuff and traffic paper because paper has been deemed dirty.
Police murdered mother because she was using (dirty) cardboard.
Bad shit happens to your sister, perhaps because she cant run or cant clean stuff well.
Some guy does bad stuff and trains people in running to hunt down other people who run.
Police attack people for running.
You decide running is no match for armored cars and snipe people.
Running in elevator shafts and hiding on a boat.
Semi good shit kind of happens.
End.

:D

Looks pretty good, I enjoyed the first one other than the fact that the keyboard binding was lousy.

After rewatching the trailer, I think the author of that article just misused the word reboot when they should have said prequel. Because you get to see Faith getting her tats, so presumably this is about her first missions as a runner.

didn't the first game do terrible when it came out? Soooo why are they making a second?

The first game didn't do terribly when it was released, they just had unreasonable sales expectations. I think it sold several million copies. I think also, that the former head of EA was a big fan, so maybe that has something to do with it not being dropped.

didn't the first game do terrible when it came out? Soooo why are they making a second?

Maybe on the eve of E3, EA was visited by the three ghosts of E3s past, present, and future, and they remembered the true spirit of videogaming.

What. It's totally plausible. :|

The game did not do well but it did not do very poorly either.

DICE was always interested in making a sequel and pitched the idea before. But at the time it was likely decided that BF3 and Frostbite 2 were higher priorities, which makes sense.

Mirror's Edge and Deadspace were both new IPs designed to possibly spawn franchises. Deadspace 2 had considerably more success than Deadspace 1 (which wasn't really that successful either) with some minor reworking on the concept and I assume improved promotion. I suspect you will see the same approach with Mirror's Edge 2. You already see in Mirror's Edge 2 trailer a more action and combat focus compared to the trailer for Mirror's Edge 2.

I'm the only one that think the tatoo in the face of Faith is not really suitable for a game for the mass?

I like the reflection part of it. to be able to see faith jump up like that on mirrors

Definitely.

I'm really excited about this, I don't normally buy games on launch day but I'm seriously considering it.

I know I will get it on release. Been wanting a sequel to Mirror's Edge for forever.

Mirror's Edge was deemed a risk for EA when they built it. It was a test run and a pretty new concept at the time. It wasn't a blockbuster, but it definitely piqued EA's interested. It also stuck as a passion project for DICE (which was trying to avoid becoming a one trick pony like Infinity Ward).

I'm glad they are taking another crack at it, and am pretty excited to see what pans out here. From my understanding, there is an action element, in terms of hand to hand combat, while gunplay is being dramatically reduced or removed since it was received very poorly in the first game.

If you play through the first game, you'll see them referencing Faith "having a fall" and getting injured. This game is taking place before that incident.

Wonder if her shoes are based off of anything you can actually buy. They look comfortable.

I'm glad they are taking another crack at it, and am pretty excited to see what pans out here. From my understanding, there is an action element, in terms of hand to hand combat, while gunplay is being dramatically reduced or removed since it was received very poorly in the first game.

Yea I am too. I really enjoyed the first game so I'm looking forward to this one.

I'm the only one that think the tatoo in the face of Faith is not really suitable for a game for the mass?

I don't get your objection at all. Why would she not have it? She had it in the first one didn't she?

Face tat. considering what plenty of other games that's for the masses have (killing being the most prominent), is probably of least concern as an 'issue'. It's not like tats are morally ambiguous or social taboo in most cultures.

I'll probably grab Mirror's Edge 1 sometime.

I know I will get it on release. Been wanting a sequel to Mirror's Edge for forever.

Thing is, it's really not a sequel, it's more of a prequel/remake.

Still, about the only thing I am looking forward to more than this is a remake of the Mass Effect trilogy that EA vehemently denies is incoming.

I don't get your objection at all. Why would she not have it? She had it in the first one didn't she?

Faith did have the arm/shoulder and face tats in Mirror's Edge '08

I think they got rid of the sorta blue-ish color filter from the old teaser?

Glad they kept Faith's ability to FOREARM SLAM THE FUCK OUTA DOORS... and now she apparently has Goku-esque leg strength / kicking prowess.

Game looks rad.

I literally don't understand the problem here.

Still, about the only thing I am looking forward to more than this is a remake of the Mass Effect trilogy that EA vehemently denies is incoming.

Mass Effect Andromeda is incoming. If they've denied a remake (which I don't care about) then it would make sense. I loved Mass Effect 1-3 but I have no desire to replay them again. Mass Effect 1 I would replay if it had the controls of 2 or 3, but there are so many fucking awesome games coming out within the next year and a half that I would save a Mass Effect reboot for last were it to happen (which isn't).

Mass Effect Andromeda is incoming. If they've denied a remake (which I don't care about) then it would make sense. I loved Mass Effect 1-3 but I have no desire to replay them again. Mass Effect 1 I would replay if it had the controls of 2 or 3, but there are so many fucking awesome games coming out within the next year and a half that I would save a Mass Effect reboot for last were it to happen (which isn't).

I agree. The Mass Effect games have aged fairly well anyways. Not worth the effort and resources. Move on and move forward.

No, you aren't the only one. Here's one more:
gxnmokmamnjzu1fkxlpt.jpg

I agree. The Mass Effect games have aged fairly well anyways. Not worth the effort and resources. Move on and move forward.

At least not now. ME1 looks dated, 2 still can look good and 3 is certainly good enough.

There are those of us out there that still do care, myself included. I would definitely be willing to go back with enhanced graphics (that are starting to look fairly rough around the edges) and some plot inconsistencies fixed, and/or some new content, or all of the above. Andromeda is an excuse and cop-out IMO to steer away from the train wreck that is 3. I'm not getting my hopes up for it at all.

At least not now. ME1 looks dated, 2 still can look good and 3 is certainly good enough.

I guess I'm in a minority around here. :(

Back on topic, then.

I never really got far in the first game wasn't a fan of the blinding white lack of textured walls an enviroments this looks better in a damsel in distress type of way. It's still first person though =)

Back