That's all I have to say.

It needs to cost LESS.

Originally posted by lopoetve
Needs to be cheaper.

That's all I have to say.

It needs to cost LESS.
Maybe you need to be richer.

:)

And yes, even I agree they should have made a 2GB one, and have had it cheaper.

yeah I have to agree with that or make a second one that is 2Gig and $129...I would get one of those in a heart beat

Originally posted by gigglebyte
yeah I have to agree with that or make a second one that is 2Gig and $129...I would get one of those in a heart beat

Bingo. You're directly fighting the low end Zen at that price range, and it has MUCH more space.

Yeah I was expecting a 2Gig around $199.

hehe Exactly what my friend and I were thinking. There is way too little of a price difference between it and the 15GB iPod.

hmm

From listening I thought it was flash based? if it is, it's a decent price compared to other flash based players. (Iriver's 1Gb is $500)
Or are they using a mini drive and aiming at the flash based market?

If not.. oh well. neat colors though, I know my GF would want one.

Look at the EDU prices.

$30 difference between the iPod mini, and the iPod.

Originally posted by Shorty
The iPod mini is ugly...

I kind of like it's "cute", I like minimalism. Think of what your GF would do if you got her one though...:D hehehe
But I'm not sure how it's going to eat away at flash based players sales, it's just $50 less then a 15gig so I would think people would just pay $50 more for a better iPod; it should have been atleast $199 IMO.

Exactly. Not sure whose bonehead idea it was to retail at $249 for a 4gb flash iPod.

A bad price point for a new market.

I am not sure....one of the big things people like to do with the ipods is run and even though they have skip protectetion I see way too many issues with joggers and ipods...since this is flash based there won't be the skip issue and would be perfect for runners of the world....price could be a little lower though

Originally posted by AntShaw
Exactly. Not sure whose bonehead idea it was to retail at $249 for a 4gb flash iPod.
It's a hard disc, I wasn't sure so I checked the specs.

Screw this it really pisses me off to see the price at $250:mad: But I guess it was worth the wait so I can just get a 15gb ipod at $300 instead of the 10gb at $300:cool:

wow the tables have turned.

now creative has the more expensive player but its smaller. weighs less, and actually looks good :p. its not that bad though, $50 more gets you 14hr removable battery, same audio chip in the Zen, voice recording and fm tuning via remote (which they bundle with it every now and then).

MuVo2 > mini ipod

I am not sure....one of the big things people like to do with the ipods is run and even though they have skip protectetion I see way too many issues with joggers and ipods...since this is flash based there won't be the skip issue and would be perfect for runners of the world....price could be a little lower though

It's still a HD. Same problem exists :(

3 Things of note:

1. They upped the storage of the low end iPod to 15Gb.
2. I'd lose it in an instant.
3. I want a red one damnit! :p

All these things are reason not to get a minipod. Its just a more "girly" iPod.

Everyone has also forgotten this: When has Apple ever made anything "affordable" if you look around at the general mac user they have a little more money for toys then the normal man. Or they are shooting for a status symbol. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but the few people that I know that bought ipods just wanted to buy one just so they could say they have one. Now it just sits in the corner collecting dust.... where am i going with this? I don't know, all I know is i'm going to have to shell out $250 for a pink paper weight... i mean ipod mini for the fiance.

I am out sick right now so I can't pull all my docs on the new pods...and a bummer about the micro drive...I was really hoping for solid state this time around

Well part of the problem with Apple and their pricing, is they/you and to many others may look at it as more of a status thing. And my apple is shinier, brighter, and lighter than yours.

Which is why the new 7% market share is truly pathetic.

The new iPods are too expensive. The new in-ear earbuds( are they rebadged sony?) are sweet, tho. I'm getting them soon because my stock earbuds broke a while back.

The cost of the player is fair given that the case is made of anodized aluminum. Still, 15gb dell DJ would be my choice at this price. I am a bang for the buck guy, not an form over function guy so the mini ipod doesnt appeal to me.

the smaller the HD, the less an impact physical movement has on it. If they are microdrives, it would be a perfect pairing with joggers... :)

I was just think why did they drop the 10 gig? Apple could have offered that for $249. I wonder how much of a profit Apple intends to make on the mini or whether it's mainly for people who go to buy one and then see that the 15 gig is only $50 more and think "what a deal!"
Either that or the price is padded so that they could drop it to $199 or even $149 around the fall when kids of all ages go back to school.

MAN!!! is that me or the minipod looks uber UGLY??! ..
duh.. but the accessorie "iPod mini Arm Band" do looks cool...
the earplug looks like a rebadged Sony...

Notes:

I believe the mini iPod is marketed at the female audience between 16-30 years of age. The smallness, cuteness and choice of colors is my main basis of this. I mean lets face it, most of your iPod users out there are tech and music savy men right?

I also think that by next Christmas you will see it at a lower price point.

I really would have liked to see a 2GB model. It would of sold well IMO.

I JUST bought my sister a fucking 10 gig iPod for her birthday last week, and they introduce a 15 gig model for the same price this week? That...pisses me off so very very much. People should be legally required to tell you this shit when you're buying stuff, it's just a common fucking courtesy. God.

hate to tell you this but we have no idea what is ever coming out more than a day or so ahead of time (depending on who you know) but what you can do is if you purchased from the online Apple Store call them up and see if you can get a credit since you just purchased it and the new ones came out

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Isn't it suppose to be Febuary 16? I thought thats what Jobs said.

that's when the new 15 gig's + mini's hit stores??

SOB, thats over a month's wait!

Originally posted by Shorty
2GB for $150 would have been nice...

The iPod mini is ugly...

No.. a 2 GB iPod Should be 100 Out the Door.. no questions ask. Spending that much freaking money on something so small is dumb. All they need is a 2 GB portable hard drive that cost 1 third the price of Flash memory. I would buy someone with flash memory for that much and so little so it will never skip

considering 2gb of flash or microdrive memory costs way more than 100, i dont see how anyone really expected that to happen.

got to factor in battery, processing chips (what, 3 or 4 of em right?), alum case, royalties (for the OS), and then the apple profit margin.

not much room.

In comparison, look at iRiver's hi-capacity Flash based players.

the iRiver iFP-395t (512Mb) is $299.99
the iFP-599t (1gb flash) is $449.99 (prices from iRiver store. YMMV)

Even the Rio Nitrus (1.5gb HDD based) is $199.99 Is it worth $50 for 500 Megs more? That's personal preference (as well as being worth $100 more for a 15gb regular iPod)

Apple's targeting the flash market, according to Emperor Jobs. So if someone's poking around J & R looking at the iRiver's, the minipod will be sitting right there saying "Hey, I have 2Gbs, and cost half as much as that 1gb mofo!"

I don't think Apple wants to cut into their regular iPod sales by lowering the price TOO much ($199.99 would be ideal. $100 is way too low) The iPod is their #1 selling product.
They want someone looking at iPods to say "Hey, the mini iPod is cool and all, but for $50 more I can get 15Gb's" (which is what we are all saying)
Of course if Apple lowers the price to $199.99 it will make it more attractive to people. But lowering it to $100 will substantially cut sales of the regular iPod (although the mini would sell like hotcakes no doubt)

*They want someone looking at iPods to say "Hey, the mini iPod is cool and all, but for $50 more I can get 15Gb's" (which is what we are all saying)*

Sorry, don't want to spend the time to figure how to quote one line.

What you said is corporate idiocy. This iPod Mini cost them hundreds of thousands to design and begin to produce (and that's a bare minimum).

To create a product just to make consumers think that your original product is a deal is ridiculous. Apple created the Mini to undercut their original iPod and to attract a different market (women in particular IMO, look at the colors) who might not be as tech-savvy as the posters on this board.

But I do agree on one thing; breaking the 200 dollar barrier was a mistake. IMO, if it was at all possible (since none of us actually know the costs of manufacturing the Mini, we don't know) they should have REALLY busted the balls of the MP3 flash market and made a 2GB player in the 150-200 dollar range.

Now THAT would sell like hotcakes. But none of us really know if making a 2GB player is more cost-effective than making a 4GB player like Apple has. For all we know, the 2GB player would have only been 10 dollars cheaper for Apple to produce. In fact, there's a good chance that's likely.

As a side note, I'd like to add that I think Apple is banking on microdrives dropping in price.

Better to get a jump on the market with a design and try to off-set the costs of manufacture from a public launch with the hope that lower-cost materials will come available than to be too late to the game entirely.

We'll all see how this plays out in about 6-9 months.

Back