Mining network question

Mikeysitch

n00b
Hey guys

recent purchased an ant miner d3. I work at a very large plant and was gonna hook it up in the power room to run as a little secret side hustle! But my question is when I plug my Ethernet cable into their network to run the rig will it come up on their system? so basically would I get busted? 😂

Hey guys

recent purchased an ant miner d3. I work at a very large plant and was gonna hook it up in the power room to run as a little secret side hustle! But my question is when I plug my Ethernet cable into their network to run the rig will it come up on their system? so basically would I get busted? 😂

Yes, you will get busted. Is it worth your job?

Yes, you will get busted. Is it worth your job?
Of course not. It’s a massive multi million pound company who have their own electrical plant so I hardly think one d3 unit would register on their out goings. I was just looking for of a technical answer about how the network connect would show up

The IT Dept will see traffic coming from some unknown ip address and unknown device on their network. You will get busted eventually lol.

I've heard about people doing this and getting away with it for years. Miners (GPU, ASIC, whatever) generally use very little bandwidth though so why put it on their network and make it easier to get caught? I imagine if it's inside a room though that it'll heat up the room a ton, may overheat, and the next time someone does maintenance in there they'll notice it, google whatever it says on the sticker, and list your d3 on ebay. I doubt anything will happen to you beyond getting fired when you get caught installing / checking on it, but if you're considering just putting a throwaway device in a corner somewhere where no one will notice the heat and noise I guess it could work? Who knows, people have tried crazier stuff in the past (and eventually were caught and lost all their equipment but don't seem to have been arrested).

If you do try putting it on their network, depending on how their IT runs things it might be blocked for not having a pre-approved MAC address and if it does get an IP address assigned, it might still get flagged at some point and tracked down.

Please make sure to check back after you get fired.
Yes, please let us know the results! lol

I work in IT in a company of 25000 people. We literally scan for this stuff. It flags on our network monitoring and proxy systems as well as our vulnerability scans and NAC monitors. You’ll get busted and terminated. Or should if your companies IT is even remotely capable. This is basic Infosec and Network security — and is very likely to set to monitor and alert at any successful corporation with digital assets they want to protect.

Employees are terminated when they are caught doing stuff like this at my place of business.

Back