Mining GPU usage % for AMD & Nvidia cards

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
I am using Verthash one click miner (opinions?) with 3 cards. AMD HD7870 GHz ed, HD7950, and NVIDIA RTX2080.
My question is under task Manager the AMD cards show 0-1% GPU usage while the NVIDIA card shows a constant 94-99%, yet when I play a video on the AMD systems the media player will jump to 99% GPU usage while the miner software will still show 1%. The video file is an unwatchable mess. Yet on the NVIDIA GPU the media player uses only a 2% GPU and the miner GPU usage stays the same and the video plays without effort.
Just for note one of the AMD systems uses an identical Ryzen 1700 and ram so it isn't a CPU limiting issue.
So just curious why the weirdness in task manager?

Oh and all 3 miners are hitting their roughly proper hash rates, so it isn't as if the AMD cards aren't working. They are going full out.

Yeah, what kirbyjr says. Go by what GPU-Z or HWiNFO64 shows as Task Manager doesn't display GPU load properly.

Okay thanks GPU-Z report correctly. I knew it was using that % but found it bizarre that the AMD cards would report incorrectly under task manager.

On a related note anyone know of the possibility of giving apps GPU priority like task manager offers for CPU priority. Only info I can find is designating apps for multiple GPU system.

What are you mining with a 7950 and 7870? I have those cards and couldn't mine shit with nicehash or any other miner I tried

Probably nothing that will pay enough to offset their power usage.
Actually yes I remember getting the 7950 to mine something but it was negative returns yeah

In the winter maybe, gets you to turn down the baseboard heaters a little. But during the warmer months it doesn't make sense much

Actually yes I remember getting the 7950 to mine something but it was negative returns yeah

In the winter maybe, gets you to turn down the baseboard heaters a little. But during the warmer months it doesn't make sense much

I have a couple 1060s and a Vega 56 that I’ll fire up nicehash on during the colder months to use as a space heater as well. I also have a 3080 but given what the GPU market is today and no end in sight to sky high prices and low availability, I’m not willing to risk that one. It’ll probably need to last me for the next 3 years.

What are you mining with a 7950 and 7870? I have those cards and couldn't mine shit with nicehash or any other miner I tried
Verthash one click miner on default Dodge-coin.
Ya I am doing it to off-set heating bills. It is paying for its power used but not by much.

Also named and described all GPU's in original post. Not a big thread. Maybe try not replying unless you can touch on less then a dozen posts, ya?

Last edited:
It's not the AMD cards fault, it Windows. I don't do mining, only do Distributed Computing, and I see the same thing, that's why we use GPU-Z or HWiNFO64.
Eh, it's more how nVidia or AMD *report* their usage to Windows.

You can get the true AMD numbers in Windows Task Manager easily enough - on the 'Performance' tab, choose your GPU section. You'll get four graph windows - pick one of them and click the drop-down to choose what it is displaying. Try each of the 'compute' options. For instance, at the moment I'm running F@H and everything is tracked under 'Compute 1'.

Eh, it's more how nVidia or AMD *report* their usage to Windows.

You can get the true AMD numbers in Windows Task Manager easily enough - on the 'Performance' tab, choose your GPU section. You'll get four graph windows - pick one of them and click the drop-down to choose what it is displaying. Try each of the 'compute' options. For instance, at the moment I'm running F@H and everything is tracked under 'Compute 1'.
That's the ticket. I had to switch to compute 1 and now it shows that graph correctly. GPU utilization still shows %0 though.

Hey, since you seem a smart group, I have a new related query. My HD 7870 GHz Ed. seems to be ramping clocks suddenly. To the point of a crash.
Fine at the default low clock if I don't mine.
Ramps fast even with good/same cooling.
Temp steadily increases speed until it hits a speed and crashes.
Hints?

Back