• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Minimum Wattage PSU for Quad core

rickyz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
494
What's the min. requirement wattage for a PSU to be able to hand a Quad Core CPU?
 
You can't just pick a PSU just based on a single component like that. You must pick a PSU based on sum total of your parts. In addition, which quad-core CPU are you talking about? The Phenom or Intel Core 2 Quad ones?

So tell us the rest of your parts and then we'll recommend a PSU.
 
The TX650 you have chosen is perfectly suitable. It does have very long cables though, keep that in mind since you have such a small case.
 
The Corsair 650TX you chose is more than enough. Though the Corsair 520W PSU is also a good choice.
 
Thanks for your responses. I was thinking I should go modular because of the clutter but I guess we'll see what happens. I learn something new everyday from reading your posts. Keep it up!
 
The min power PSU I would go for with that build is around 400 watts.

I've a very similar system, sans vid card, that pulls 175 watts folding.
Add 70 watts for the vid card, 245 watts
Multi it by 1.6 for PSU overhead, 392 watts.
So a good quality 400 watt PSU is ideal.
But I'd get a bigger PSU if you plan to upgrade the Vid card.

Luck ............. :D
 
Thanks for your responses. I was thinking I should go modular because of the clutter but I guess we'll see what happens. I learn something new everyday from reading your posts. Keep it up!

You could always go with the Corsair HX520, which is modular. It is more than capable of handling your PC's power needs.
Multi it by 1.6 for PSU overhead, 392 watts.

There is no "PSU overhead". You're probably thinking of PSU efficiency, which affects power draw from the wall and not the PSU itself. Therefore, for a system that requires 245W of power, the actual load on the PSU would only be 245W, but the draw from the wall would be 245W divided by the PSU's efficiency, which would be about 306W assuming ~80% efficiency.

Basically, a quality 300W PSU would be enough to power the system you're using as an example.
 
There is no "PSU overhead". You're probably thinking of PSU efficiency, which affects power draw from the wall and not the PSU itself. Therefore, for a system that requires 245W of power, the actual load on the PSU would only be 245W, but the draw from the wall would be 245W divided by the PSU's efficiency, which would be about 306W assuming ~80% efficiency.

Basically, a quality 300W PSU would be enough to power the system you're using as an example.

Ok.
Call it PSU headroom.
Its the over spec needed to run at the PSU at around 50% load
So a 300 watt PSU could power the system but it would be running at around 80% load.
A 400 watt PSU would be much closer to 50% load where PSU's are at their most efficient.

Luck .............. :D
Luck ............... :D
 
On my folding @ Home systems .

Q6600 @ 3.4Ghz
ATI Rage 8MB XL
Abit IP35-E Motherboard
NO Hard Drive
No CD Rom

At 100% load it pulled 187 watts ...
 
Back
Top