• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Minimalist student suggestion.

Ckamc

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
131
Hi,

So I'm moving to Japan next year so I won't be able to bring my rig with me. I'm stuck between what I want to do and need some suggestions.

I want to have a lightweight portable device or build a Micro ATX system. I'm not sure as of yet if my school will keep me with text books or if I will have a digital option.

I figured I can have my hard drives shipped and just have a little NAS to throw them into. I'm not a heavy gamer like I used to and in fact will be buying a 4K TV for as my display since I like to use the system as a HTPC.

I will probably get a Sony Z3 Compact as my phone and I'm not to sure if their are any Ultrabooks to look into that will last 2-4 years easy. My apartment will be around 400~500 sq feet at the largest so anyway I can save in space will be great.

Look forward to your suggestions.
 
You need to check Japan prices vs USA. I would suspect RAM, possibly CPUs, would be worth shipping too.
I saw an A88 motherboard and 7850 combo used for $140 in classifieds,
These might be worth shipping.
Generally, how good a video card you need starts defining build budget.
Check out if there is an amazon Japan?
 
about 1-2k is what I like to have into the machine

I really don't use windows much as I used to. Got my current distro is Pinguy.

I was thinking maybe the new chromebook that has the k1 in it and then buying a large SSD and run a linux distro that can support the hardware. Thats for super cheap idea.

Samsungs ultrabook looks nice but again I never been a laptop user before.

I can build a custom rig for a reasonable price, I was checking prices and they seem to be comparable to the states for hardware.
 
Buy a machine in Japan! You don't want to deal with service and support while overseas. I suspect a local shop and a warranty is your best option.
 
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I ended up using my computer much less in general.

Anyway, if you are going to keep this computer mostly stationary then buy a desktop. I take all my electronics as carry on luggage when I travel.

If you want something to carry around then buy a netbook or other ultra portable laptop. Weight is really important for something you will be carrying around all day.

You should probably buy both. You can double your ultra portable as a dictionary or something. Make sure you get an SSD for it.

If you are going to live there for awhile don't be afraid to spend a little bit of extra money on hardware stuff you need. Even something like an extra $1000 or so doesn't end up being a very large cost compared to 1. The money you are already going to spend there and 2. the benefit it will bring.
Don't waste money on stuff you don't need but don't try to save if what you have isn't going to suit your needs.
 
Last edited:
I don't know if others will agree but I think the Alienware Alpha is a really good fit for what you want. It's super small, sits under you TV like a console, and is completely upgradeable.

Only downside is they don't start shipping until Nov. 21st. Can't say for sure if it would make it to you in time.
 
I don't know if others will agree but I think the Alienware Alpha is a really good fit for what you want. It's super small, sits under you TV like a console, and is completely upgradeable.

Only downside is they don't start shipping until Nov. 21st. Can't say for sure if it would make it to you in time.

There are plenty of small form factor PCs out there.
Alternatively, he could buy the parts here and buy the case over there and assemble.
 
There are plenty of small form factor PCs out there.
Alternatively, he could buy the parts here and buy the case over there and assemble.

Obviously, it's just already done. Plus, I don't really think there's that many like it. It will look good under a TV too. It's all set up for Steams Big Picture. It's just something I was throwing out there.

10305617_10152204295826973_8341116360055931420_n.jpg
 
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I did a little look at some of the Linux forums and haven't found much in terms of support for getting distro's to function on Nvidia's K1 processor so I guess I will shelf the idea of a crazy chrome book on Linux for a while.

I just hope I can find a good Micro ATX case to build off of. Not quite sure how far SilverStone reaches in terms of overseas and I noticed the Lian Li case I liked is being discontinued....

The rest of the components I want are easy to find and here is what I'm likely to build as seen below. Please bear in mind I haven't updated some of the components on my wish list in a while so they can be considered ... 'dated'

SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E Black Aluminum front panel, steel body MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
ASUS GRYPHON Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX
Intel Core i5-4570S Haswell Quad-Core 2.9GHz LGA 1150 65W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54570S
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive
Noctua NH-U12S 120x120x25 ( NF-F12 PWM) SSO2-Bearing ( Self-stabilising oil-presure bearing ) CPU Cooler
 
you use linux and don't really game. what's the point of a big computer then? especially when you're going to fricking JAPAN. get a razer blade laptop if you want high performance. get a yoga or macbook air if you don't
 
I'd also like to upvote the MacBook Air option. I own the cheapest one (with 8GB of ram) and it is fantastic. Works for light gaming (Dragon Age 2, WoW, Diablo 3) and (more importantly) has awesome battery life while being tiny tiny tiny.
 
Back
Top