mini-Project: Ghetto Boximus Maximus v1.0

Emission

Supreme [H]ardness
I brought this over from my thread at BlazingPC, so it's only slightly edited, but I didn't want to rewrite the whole thing :p. The real deal is when v2.0 makes it's arrival, I believe that'll be the best way of showcasing the idea. My all time focus on this concept is the modularity behind it, as seen with the USB Ports. I had a spare ports header lying around, so I just screwed it on and bam, instant front connections. You should be able to tell where I'm going with this :).

Well, I bet your wondering why the hell this is Ghetto Boximus Maximus v1.0, well, the pictures speak for themselves. Oh, and it's a mini-project because it only took me like an hour. Onto the mini-log!

mini-log v1.0

Introduction

Well, it was driving me absolutely nuts that I couldn't find any spare materials around the house to build a case with, and I was running around frantically being bored at the same time. I had been scanning every nook and cranny for suitable materials, until I came across something interesting...

*Walks around the house and goes into a room, spots an object of interest.*
"Hmm, this little crate looks interesting, would make an interesting PC!"
*Observes crate for several minutes.*
"I got what I was looking for!"
*Looks at the crate for another minute.*
"I think I'll call you......Ghetto Boximus Maximus!"

And so, Ghetto Boximus Maximus v1.0 was born.

Materials
Well, I found this crate, and had a couple ideas, but there we're a couple things that needed to be taken care of. I had a 4-drive HDD cage left over from an old case I once had many eons ago, so that problem was instantly solved. I knew I wasn't going to need an Optical/5.25" cage because I have an external dvd-rw that I use for basically everything (hint #1: Optical Cage is coming up in v2.0).

I used 6 motherboard standoffs, 3 stacks each, and mounted them to the bottom of the crate (hint #2:Mobo tray coming in v2.0). I had to get the motherboard up higher to clear the plugs and there weren't many other options than take a bunch out with the dremel. I could've done it, but I have better plans for that anyway so I took the other route.

On the side of components, I had an unknown Intel motherboard with a gateway branded bios, a S478 P4 2.26 GHz Northy, 1GB of ram 2x512, an old no-name PSU that I dug up from the massive piles of parts I have, and an 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 IDE drive I had laying around (it's actually the only drive among my Seagates that I didn't kill accidentally :LOL: ). Thanks to Monkey for an awesome CPU/Mobo/RAM combo! :go: .

Pictures

These outline the plans that we're put into use, and how it was all laid out (Clickable Thumbnails).

Parts I used:

HDD Cage mounted:

I/O Ports hole cleared. Apparently it was easier to get those pieces out with my knife >_>:

Motherboard mounted + HDD in!:

PSU Mounted:

IT LIVES!:

Even the startup method is ghetto! :cool: :

USB PORTS! MUAHAHAHAHAH!:

Interesting eh? What you can do with a dremel and some plastic :whacky043: :grin: :shoot:

Upgrade Checklist for v2.0:
Optical Cage
ATX Motherboard Tray
PSU Mount-plate
Control Panel, with all the switches and buttons and such on it.

v2.0 is going to be a little more in-depth, and will be a full project in itself this time :).

Tell me what you guys think! :grin:

Back