• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mini ITX Steam/Emulator Box

Amazing work. Really inspires me to get back to work on my console replacement box! That case is just...yes.

Also, definitely love that Noctua Cooler (as long as the board you're using supports a backplate, as my FM2 board does not.)
 
I wonder if the Xbox receiver would pick up better if you made a small window for it, and placed it behind it. Maybe in the lower part of the front panel cut a small rectangle and slap a piece of smoked plexi over it. If that would even be possible, I know you have a lot crammed in there. Which it would kind of suck to have to pull it apart and cut on it more.
It is an awesome little rig though. I'd love to have it setting next to my tv in my living room. It really came out killer man.
 
Last edited:
I wonder if the Xbox receiver would pick up better if you made a small window for it, and placed it behind it. Maybe in the lower part of the front panel cut a small rectangle and slap a piece of smoked plexi over it. If that would even be possible, I know you have a lot crammed in there. Which it would kind of suck to have to pull it apart and cut on it more.
It is an awesome little rig though. I'd love to have it setting next to my tv in my living room. It really came out killer man.
I thought about doing that exact thing, thinking 4mm of aluminum is a lot for an RF signal to penetrate. It's still a possibility, but I am currently running it with an unmodified USB receiver for normal operating range.

And thank you :)
 
I thought it was a speaker at first, standing there on the desk :D

Very tiny, very neat-looking case. Definitely would sell well if you ever decided to mass-produce them ;)

Using low-profile PCIe cards is a bit of a trade-off, but considering the size goals of the projects it's not such a bad deal at all.
 
It really is a shame that there are no better options for the VGA card.

We have small form factor options for pretty much every other component: ITX boards, low profile RAM, SFX or PicoPSU, mSATA drives, etc... But there are only a handful of low profile GPU's available. Most of those are either crap, overpriced, or hard to find. The 7750 is really the only decent option.

I'm hoping we'll see some improvement when the next generation of GPU's come out, but I'm not holding my breath.
 
I thought about doing that exact thing, thinking 4mm of aluminum is a lot for an RF signal to penetrate. It's still a possibility, but I am currently running it with an unmodified USB receiver for normal operating range.

And thank you :)

Why not solder alittle wire from the antenna on the X360 receiver to the aluminum? Use the case as your antenna.
 
I thought it was a speaker at first, standing there on the desk :D

Very tiny, very neat-looking case. Definitely would sell well if you ever decided to mass-produce them ;)

Using low-profile PCIe cards is a bit of a trade-off, but considering the size goals of the projects it's not such a bad deal at all.

It really is a shame that there are no better options for the VGA card.

We have small form factor options for pretty much every other component: ITX boards, low profile RAM, SFX or PicoPSU, mSATA drives, etc... But there are only a handful of low profile GPU's available. Most of those are either crap, overpriced, or hard to find. The 7750 is really the only decent option.

I'm hoping we'll see some improvement when the next generation of GPU's come out, but I'm not holding my breath.
You know, while the 7750 most definitely can't compete with higher end GPUs, it does hold its own. Given the compact nature of the case, you're unlikely to find it driving 3 displays or anything crazy. So to run games at 1920 x 1080 on a single display with much of the eye candy turned up, you're looking at a totally enjoyable/playable gaming experience with a card such as the 7750. Ideal? No. Sufficient for most applications? You bet :)
Why not solder alittle wire from the antenna on the X360 receiver to the aluminum? Use the case as your antenna.
No a bad idea. But in all likelihood would cause unreliable signal. What little I know about antennas is that they are finely tuned and dimensioned for a particular RF. In other words, longer does not equal better signal. And I'd also venture a guess there would be a lot of noise induced into the antenna through the case body. But I'm not opposed to trying it if I can figure out where to solder the connection to on the RF module.
 
Modified wifi adapter works well after finding better drivers

I'm curious what chip that nano wifi adapter uses and where you got the better drivers. I see a lot using RT5370 and have a couple myself, so that remark stuck out...
 
Not a bad idea. But in all likelihood would cause unreliable signal. What little I know about antennas is that they are finely tuned and dimensioned for a particular RF. In other words, longer does not equal better signal. And I'd also venture a guess there would be a lot of noise induced into the antenna through the case body. But I'm not opposed to trying it if I can figure out where to solder the connection to on the RF module.

2ro0sbk.jpg


I realize it won't be tuned for your signal, but I doubt it'll work any worse and could potentially work better. Very little risk too. At worst, you'll have to yank the wire off.
 
2ro0sbk.jpg


I realize it won't be tuned for your signal, but I doubt it'll work any worse and could potentially work better. Very little risk too. At worst, you'll have to yank the wire off.
I'll have to give that a try then. Couldn't hurt.
I'm curious what chip that nano wifi adapter uses and where you got the better drivers. I see a lot using RT5370 and have a couple myself, so that remark stuck out...
I don't recall the chip #, I'll have to remove the heat shrink tubing to remind myself. As far as the drivers, I forewent the Rosewill drivers and went directly to Realtek's website.
Looks awesome so far. Would love to do a HTPC and Emulator PC.
Thanks. It's done, I'd say. We've been playing it here and there as time warrants. It's fun to have 4 people playing at a time. Even 3 people playing Trine 2. Quite fun.
 
nice work!! is there any company out there that makes a metal case this small?
 
nice work!! is there any company out there that makes a metal case this small?
Thanks, I'm sure there is someone out there making something similar. I know Lone Industries on this forum did a short run of something similar, only a sheet metal construction. They turned out great.
 
Thanks, I'm sure there is someone out there making something similar. I know Lone Industries on this forum did a short run of something similar, only a sheet metal construction. They turned out great.

yup i did see them. im considering purchasing one
 
I hear ya man. Priorities change. Shame though. Your stuff always came out top shelf.
 
Hate to see you selling this. Wish I had the extra cash laying around to buy it. It's really an awesome little machine.
 
Back
Top