• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

mini-itx server/media streamer

b14z3

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
601
So I think I've decided to go away from a full-up secondary gaming build that was in this post New secondary gaming/media build and just build a small low power server that will suit my needs without sucking 160+ watts idle like my i7 rig does. I will not be using this computer for gaming, but I might throw my current 5770 in it next time I upgrade GPUs.

My wife and I currently stream Hulu via PlayOn (using PS3 and my main rig) and I would like to also like the capability to stream 1080 video from this new PC to my receiver in the living room.

Looking for USB3 support and small form factor so I think I'd like to design the build around this motherboard:
$104.99 GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

Matching CPU would either be:
$99 Intel Core i3-540 Processor Boxed
or
$139.99 Intel Core i5 650 3.2GHz Processor Boxed

Still have the same RAM listed as it seems to be a good price unless there's a combo with something else I haven't seen
$69.99 G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT

Case is an issue. I've got 2x3.5" 2TB drives that need to be put into a computer (this one I'm building I would think) but most mini-itx cases only seem to support 1x3.5" at most if at all. However, I do have room in my office (room adjacent to living room) where I could put this computer - so it's not really a space issue. However to control it via remote I guess I'd need some RF support... So for now I was just looking at the
$59.95 Antec 300
but there's probably something better/cheaper...

Power supply is the other issue. Perhaps I could find a case that has a low wattage supply designed around HTPC type builds and just upgrade it later when I add a discrete graphics card (likely year+ from now). Of course the smallest quality PSU that I know about is ~430W which is probably twice the size needed...



any help is appreciated and let me know if I'm completely off my rocker here...
 
Well if this is going to be a server and you go with an HTPC case you'll be very limited storage wise, unless you can/want to make the modifications needed to add the extra storage. Also heat might be an issue in those little cramped cases. The 300 is a hell of a great case with lots of room for storage and great air flow.
 
Of course the smallest quality PSU that I know about is ~430W which is probably twice the size needed...

And the problem being?

Anyway, go for the i3 540. Better choice for the money than the i5 650. PSU wise, the Antec Neo Eco 400C 400W PSU is a good choice at $50.
 
And the problem being?

Anyway, go for the i3 540. Better choice for the money than the i5 650. PSU wise, the Antec Neo Eco 400C 400W PSU is a good choice at $50.

A PSU running at 20% rated power output is eating up efficiency... if I build a system that idles <100W and spend extra money for a higher efficiency model than I'm kinda wasting money, no?

I was actually debating on the new fanless Seasonic :p
 
A PSU running at 20% rated power output is eating up efficiency... if I build a system that idles <100W and spend extra money for a higher efficiency model than I'm kinda wasting money, no?

I was actually debating on the new fanless Seasonic :p

Well it depends on the PSU itself. For some, the difference in efficiency between 20% and 60% are non-existent. In others, more pronounced. And yes spending extra cash for a super highly efficient PSU can be a bad buy if the efficiency differences are extremely small or it takes long period of time for you to recoup the extra costs via by decreased electrical bill.
 
are there any other reputable motherboards out there designed with low-power in mind, onboard graphics, etc for a beefier size wise HTPC and server?
 
you can get the Asus 880g AMD mobo & a 45w dual core for roughly the same cost, Except have a good HTPC base in the board from the get go given the HD 4250 onboard & a nice cool running low wattage CPU.

Also if you dont already ahve the antec 300 then dont get it for this build. Get a Lian Li PC-q07. its about the same price & then when/if you decide to replace it you can sell the q07 for more considering that people can buy the antec 300 new for about the cost of shipping it used. For the PSU if you want an ITX & its not out of budget get the Silverstone sfx. It has short cables which make for a pleasant install in an ITX (that or you can get the pp05 short cable kit for the silverstone strider series of PSU's).
 
you can get the Asus 880g AMD mobo & a 45w dual core for roughly the same cost, Except have a good HTPC base in the board from the get go given the HD 4250 onboard & a nice cool running low wattage CPU.

Are you referring to this motherboard?
$125 ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

and I guess this is the only 45W dual core from AMD:
$72 AMD Athlon II X2 240e Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Dual-Core Desktop Processor AD240EHDGQBOX


Also if you dont already ahve the antec 300 then dont get it for this build. Get a Lian Li PC-q07. its about the same price & then when/if you decide to replace it you can sell the q07 for more considering that people can buy the antec 300 new for about the cost of shipping it used.

I don't have the 300, but I also don't think I would ever resell whatever case I do buy. It'd end up sitting in a closet collecting dust or passed on to a friend once I was done with it more than likely :p

Though that is a nice compact looking case...
 
I suppose also that Lian-li case only has 1 3.5" bay, so I would have to mod the 2.5" bay or put it in the 5.25" bay and sacrifice having a dvd drive (which probably isn't a necessity)
 
Also I meant to ask...

Is there really any advantage when going with onboard video to getting an i3/i5 versus the AMD flavor (not sure what that is tbh)? It was my understanding that the i3/i5's have some sort of graphics acceleration bus built into the CPU?
 
Also I meant to ask...

Is there really any advantage when going with onboard video to getting an i3/i5 versus the AMD flavor (not sure what that is tbh)? It was my understanding that the i3/i5's have some sort of graphics acceleration bus built into the CPU?

The Core i3 CPUs have an onboard GPU that's capable of offloading the decoding of HD content, assuming that you setup the software correctly, as well as providing 7.1 LPCM or bitstreamed audio via HDMI. The AMD motherboard that bastage recommended also has a onboard GPU capable of offloading the decoding of HD content but can only provide 2.1 audio via HDMI.

Might want to take a look at the Lian LI PC-Q11 cases:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=PC-Q11+&x=0&y=0

Can fit two 3.5" drives.
 
hmm yeah I think I saw that case earlier this week... significant price jump for some reason
 
The q11 is an awesome & very versatile case.. Its what I have my sights set on atm.. The only reason I didn't recommend it is because of the price (the q07 is about the same price as the Antec 300).. & If your going to step up that far then given the purpose of the system get the q08 since you can stack up 6 3.5" hdd's in it..

Another reason I recomended the AMD system is the Motherboard Featureset.. Since expansion is always going to be limited in an ITX having everything (like wireless) onboard may prove to be a good thing later.

Also if your budget allows it the 45w AMD quad cores would be phenominal for this type of system. And a 45w quadcore in an ITX with intel would end up costing several hundread dollars more & You would have to have a descrete video card & thus cancelling the benefits of having the lower wattage in the 1st place.

Either way though you will end up with a good system.. With ITX, Just stick to what people ahve done & used before unless your very patient with RMA's. what fits in each nook & cranny is the biggest issue with them, so if your trying to come outa left field with anything just be prepared for it not to work out quite right (and if your a modder this gets a little easier)
 
Back
Top