Migrating Old SCSI Bootable Drive

mda

2[H]4U
Hello All,

I'm looking to migrate off an old company server, that is no longer being used on a day to day basis, but the data is referenced from once every so often.

Specs are the ff:

P4 S478
MSI 865P Neo2 Platinum
Adaptec Controller
Seagate SCSI Drive (40GB)
Mandrake 10

There is an application that runs from this HDD and I no longer have the installers.

Am looking to do a straight clone from SCSI to a SATA drive sitting behind an IDE controller.

Clonezilla doesn't seem to detect the SCSI drive. Is what I want to do feasible?

Any options?

Thanks!

Last edited:
boot gparted and straight clone it. you WILL need to mess with the FSTAB files and probably grub or lilo ( i use to use mandrake years ago, i do not remember what boot interface it uses)

note: i would actually use the sata device native. you will be making the same changes anyway so no reason to put a sata drive in IDE mode.

it all comes down to what the install can be convinced it supports. (might have to use IDE mode just for chipset compatibility)

Thanks.

Will try these. I have actually never tried to clone using GParted or DD. Will need to look up some of the info needed to edit the GRUB/LILO or whatever it uses.

The only other time I have tried messing around with the FSTAB and hard drive IDs, I needed to reformat the HDD :D

Last edited:
I remember doing this back in the day when I was migrating from a SCSI Seagate 36GB Cheetah to a SATA 250GB WD RE, but I was using Windows XP at the time.
I haven't used a SCSI controller since, so I don't know what apps today can see the drives on a SCSI controller.

Maybe try these to see if they can see the SCSI controller,
http://www.tecmint.com/linux-disk-cloning-tools/

Thanks for this.
I actually AM trying to clone from an SCSI Seagate 36GB Cheetah drive. I'm surprised the drive has lasted this long. We don't have many drives under 80GB left.

A couple years ago I transferred some 40MB (that's mega, not giga) Syquest removable hard disks. Drive was made in 1986 or something. No problem! Boot linux, run ddrescue, wait 5 minutes, done.

virtualize your setup

get something like disk2vhd or starwinds v2v converter and build a vhd(x) out of your disk

create vm with scsi disk bootable and you're golden

Back