Migrating Old SCSI Bootable Drive

mda

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello All,

I'm looking to migrate off an old company server, that is no longer being used on a day to day basis, but the data is referenced from once every so often.

Specs are the ff:

P4 S478
MSI 865P Neo2 Platinum
Adaptec Controller
Seagate SCSI Drive (40GB)
Mandrake 10

There is an application that runs from this HDD and I no longer have the installers.

Am looking to do a straight clone from SCSI to a SATA drive sitting behind an IDE controller.

Clonezilla doesn't seem to detect the SCSI drive. Is what I want to do feasible?

Any options?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Zedicus

Gawd
boot gparted and straight clone it. you WILL need to mess with the FSTAB files and probably grub or lilo ( i use to use mandrake years ago, i do not remember what boot interface it uses)

note: i would actually use the sata device native. you will be making the same changes anyway so no reason to put a sata drive in IDE mode.

it all comes down to what the install can be convinced it supports. (might have to use IDE mode just for chipset compatibility)

mda

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks.

Will try these. I have actually never tried to clone using GParted or DD. Will need to look up some of the info needed to edit the GRUB/LILO or whatever it uses.

The only other time I have tried messing around with the FSTAB and hard drive IDs, I needed to reformat the HDD :D

Last edited:

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
I remember doing this back in the day when I was migrating from a SCSI Seagate 36GB Cheetah to a SATA 250GB WD RE, but I was using Windows XP at the time.
I haven't used a SCSI controller since, so I don't know what apps today can see the drives on a SCSI controller.

Maybe try these to see if they can see the SCSI controller,
http://www.tecmint.com/linux-disk-cloning-tools/

mda

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks for this.
I actually AM trying to clone from an SCSI Seagate 36GB Cheetah drive. I'm surprised the drive has lasted this long. We don't have many drives under 80GB left.

Luke M

Limp Gawd
A couple years ago I transferred some 40MB (that's mega, not giga) Syquest removable hard disks. Drive was made in 1986 or something. No problem! Boot linux, run ddrescue, wait 5 minutes, done.

Olga-SAN

Limp Gawd
virtualize your setup

get something like disk2vhd or starwinds v2v converter and build a vhd(x) out of your disk

create vm with scsi disk bootable and you're golden