• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Migrating from one drive to another

jnick

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 25, 2004
Messages
2,888
Hey all,

For my GFs birthday, I built her her first machine. At the time, I had used my old 74GB raptor, thinking it should be fine...boy was I wrong. She is running out of space, FAST.

I have a WD 640GB black that I'd like to replace it with. However, I do not want her to lose anything and am looking to create an image from the raptor, then shoot it down to the 640GB drive, with all 640GB being accessible in one partition.

What would be the easiest/safest way to accomplish this? Something like Acronis? Or something else?

Thanks!
 
My Acronis 11 didn't work when I tried copying my SSD to another with Windows 7
You must have done something wrong.

I've done that many times.

AAR jnick, you really want to clone the drive and expand the clone to use all the avaliable space on the new drive.

WD's free version of Acronis does work well but it just lacks many options.

Acronis also has free trials with all the options working.
 
If you don't want her to lose anything you should consider backups.

For your simple clone, even free tools (like driveimagexml) should work fine.
 
Back
Top