Micrososoft Edge Chromium

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by AltTabbins, Apr 9, 2019.

1. AltTabbins

AltTabbins [H]ard as it Gets

Anyone else using the early versions of this? I have been playing around with it this morning and I am very impressed. Its really fast and I get pretty much all of the conveniences of Chrome. I've slowly been removing Google from my life and I know that Microsoft doesn't exactly have a good history with telemetry, they aren't an Ad company masquerading as a tech company.

tordogs likes this.
  2. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

MS is incorporating open source projects to its products, my gut feeling is that they infiltrate the code and then create a copyright/licensing/patent lock to destroy the projects in true MS style. Luckily there's still firefox/weazel.

PliotronX and Zuul like this.
  3. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

When it launches I'll update my USB drives with Windows 10 on em'.

4. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

Seems to be a good solution to people who want a Chrome based browser but maintain the Windows UX.

But like ALL Chromium based browsers, the bookmark handling is inferior to FF IMO. I just like a simple drop down button next to home. Seems impossible on Chrome.

PliotronX and AltTabbins like this.
  5. AltTabbins

There’s some small annoyances other than this that are nagging me a little. Like having a hard time switching the default search engine to something other than bing.

6. B00nie

Heh, so MS has 'improved' chromium by adding spyware and limiting user options.

PliotronX and Zuul like this.
  7. AltTabbins

They gutted all of Googles at least.

8. B00nie

Chromium is an open source project, different from Chrome.

9. AltTabbins

Pretty shitty if this is considered open source. And the biggest reason why I will always choose Firefox over Chromium.

nxRW7na.jpg

10. B00nie

So MS 'improved' it by removing ad block and few other userful features.

PliotronX likes this.
  11. AltTabbins

Along with features that are baked with telemetry and data mining functionality. Google Now, Link Doctor, Suggest, Google Cloud Storage, and Form Fill all are things google still includes in Chromium that they sell as features, but are still just methods of data harvesting.

12. B00nie

Microsoft removes them but adds its own counterparts, which is why Edge is larger than Chromium after all the stripping.

13. ChadD

ChadD 2[H]4U

How is that bad. So all their data collection tools are 100% open source. That is a good thing. Worried about what google is collecting... take a look at the code. It clear what they collect and what they don't as its open source.

So now MS has removed everything like geo location (which we know 100% if your running chromium and turn it off its really off cause the code for that function is right there in the open) Ditto things like speech input and all the other collection tools. Replacing them with all the same BS only closed source.... so perhaps when you say no thanks Edge will listen. Perhaps MS will only collect what they say they are collecting.... then again if they collect anything more who would know. lol

But at the end of the day this is what makes open source great. If MS wants to take googles open source code and re spin it... they are welcome to.

14. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

When are they planning on full-on replacing the bundled Win10 version of Edge with the Chromium version? The betas seem pretty far along already, but this is MS we're talking about.