• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Microsoft's Security Essentials Is Live & Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Microsoft's Security Essentials is now available and totally free. You can’t beat free virus, spyware and malicious software protection. If you try it out, let us know what you think. I’m downloading it now.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.
 
sweet. hopefully it doesn't have a huge footprint while running.
 
Well, right now with my laptop (T8100 proc, 4GB RAM) idle, the server is using about 56 megs of memory and the UI piece is using 4 megs, and neither have any CPU usage at all.

When I pop into my Downloads dir, which has 73 items, the service jumps to 75% usage and 73 megs for about 5 seconds then goes straight back down. No UI lag either.
 
Well, right now with my laptop (T8100 proc, 4GB RAM) idle, the server is using about 56 megs of memory and the UI piece is using 4 megs, and neither have any CPU usage at all.

When I pop into my Downloads dir, which has 73 items, the service jumps to 75% usage and 73 megs for about 5 seconds then goes straight back down. No UI lag either.

Err what do you mean by server? And is this legal to use in a small business environment or is it for personal use only?
 
This is probably the best anti-virus program out even though it lagged a little behind
avira but imo it proved to be better overall. It doesn't give false positives like many other
anti-virus programs like avira, avg, ect. and it's updated daily to provide even better protection.
After using MSE since it entered beta I wouldn't touch anything else as it's saved me from
getting virus' on several occassions.
 
Pretty Good so far....

I've been playing with it for about 2 weeks on a few test machines. Working great, with little resources, and no nagging issues so far.
 
I've been digging around, trying to read up on this over the last hour or so since seeing Steve Thurrott mention it in the Win7 guide. Guess I'll give it a shot and see how things go over my current flavor combo of Avast Free + Malwarebytes Free + Spybot.
 
Will this install on Win 7 RC?

Says something about needing to run on genuine windows . . .
 
Will this install on Win 7 RC?

Says something about needing to run on genuine windows . . .

As long as your copy's activated, generally speaking it's considered Genuine. You can find out by going to the bottom of the Computer Properties screen in the Windows Activation section and it'll tell ya if it's activated/genuine.
 
Will this install on Win 7 RC?

Says something about needing to run on genuine windows . . .

I have had no issues running MSE on Win 7. Havent installed this version yet, but i i would say it has to do something with the Genuine Advantage verification on your install. i would check that first.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/

They have a tool that will check and validate the OS, if this passes and you still cant install sounds like there is a bug.
 
Will this install on Win 7 RC?

Says something about needing to run on genuine windows . . .

Why would the RC not be genuine?


Anyway, for those who just installed it via the new link, can you post a screenshot of the "About" screen?

I have been running MSE for months now and I want to see what the new version is (or if it changed at all).

The built in updater says I'm running the newest version.
 
Nevermind, I see the notice on the home page for MSE to upgrade if you where using the Beta.
 
I've also been using this for a couple months now throughout the beta and am loving it. It's got a small footprint, updates itself nice and quietly and only nags when absolutely necessary. Definitely an improvement over 1Care.
 
To answer your question about use in a small business environment, it's pretty well spelled out in the License Agreement at http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/eula.aspx:


Hope that helps!

Ya I just read that myself, as much as I would like to cut AV out the yearly budget for my company, between the legal issues and not being centrally managed I will pass. It would be nice is they made is available for businesses using 25 or less computers and allowed you to push updates through WSUS...

Oh well I will still play around with it at home...
 
I installed. It's free, so why not? I'm currently running no anti-virus, so this should be an improvement :D
 
I've used it for a while now and really like it as well. I can finally tell people to uninstall that Norton/McAfee home version garbage.
 
For those interested in the differences from the most up to date Beta version:

Untitled-101.jpg
 
Nevermind, I see the notice on the home page for MSE to upgrade if you where using the Beta.

What version is it that downloads form their site now, I'm running the beta and when i try to run the upgrade MSE now it tells me im running the latest already

Im on version: 1.0.1500.0
 
What version is it that downloads form their site now, I'm running the beta and when i try to run the upgrade MSE now it tells me im running the latest already

Im on version: 1.0.1500.0

Latest version I'm using is 1.0.2140.0
 
This is fantastic. I'm using an McAfee Enterprise 8.7 that I get free for working at a university, but it's always seemed a little lacking or maybe a bit too basic. I've tried a bunch of free ones before and I've used Comodo I think the longest, but I find even it's lower defence settings to be too obtrusive. I'll be happy to try this later today!
 
I had a couple of times when I was cleaning up family members infected machines remotely, that when I packaged up the infected files in an encrypted zip file, I wasn't even able to extract them at all on my workstation.

I found it very entertaining that I was opening up issues with Symantec and McAfee about undetected malware while running beta AV software, where i couldn't even unpack the remnants of what I had removed from machines they protected without disabling my AV completely to poke at it.
 
I'm currently using the free McAfee Security Suite (AV, Firewall, etc) available to Comcast customers. I would never pay for McAfee, but this was free and is non-intrusive, and doesn't seem to take over my computer like McAfee software of old, so I don't mind it. I'm curious if this Microsoft Security Essentials would be a better choice or pretty much a lateral move. Any help is appreciated.
 
The 2140 build was a weird "leaked"... or what some people were calling a leaked build. I'd suggest uninstalling it and getting the release version. It is in fact older than previous 1500 beta build.
 
Installed it on windows 7 Pro on my Acer Aspire One (see sig).
Installation was SILLY fast, less than 2 minutes, close to 1.
Quick scans take around 1.5 minutes.
Uses 3megs of ram and 2 percent cpu WHILE SCANNING.

So far so good, now to see what the reviews say about detection.

Also, just to nitpick... the logo is LAME. Looks like a schoolhouse. Also, it's too bad that they did not integrate the scanning progress bar into the WIndows7 taskbar icon.
 
This is probably the best anti-virus program out even though it lagged a little behind
avira but imo it proved to be better overall. It doesn't give false positives like many other
anti-virus programs like avira, avg, ect. and it's updated daily to provide even better protection.
After using MSE since it entered beta I wouldn't touch anything else as it's saved me from
getting virus' on several occassions.

It is for that reason that I always pay for ESET NOD32.

Does MS's product offer the same level of performance for free?
 
I just installed it on the system in my sig... I'll see how I loke it.. and if all goes well, I'll stick it on the other systems I have as well.
 
not sure if it saves any time...

vipre (great reviews on newegg) = lets you get vundo and koobface viruses/malware

windows defender= hardly seems to do shit anymore, replace it with MSE

avg=free hit or miss, can slow down pcs... and sometimes allows vundo in

anyone know if this MSE protects against vundo/koobface? Thats a major problem in the tech world.
 
Back
Top