Microsoft's E3 Keynote

Watching steven spielberg right now try to pretend he's a gamer, talking about homes without "game councils"

lol

The live stream from ign ended for me right when Felicia Days was done with Twitter and the MGS part was about to start, since ign thought the EA conference was important enough to end the MS rebroadcast stream :(

And the xbox.com version is soooo tiny, guess ill have to wait till tomorrow :(

I wouldn't. I think 120gb would seem enough. Unless people want all of their games digitally owned only. Like the other guy said, I think it's better ot take your disc to a friend's house and play it. But maybe you can just yank your hard drive out and bring it over there. *shrugs*

Even if you purchase all your games through it, you don't need to have them all downloaded at one time. Once you've purchased it, you can download/redownload them at will. If you don't think you're going to play something for awhile, just delete it off your hard drive. When you want to play it again, download it back to the HDD.

I wouldn't. I think 120gb would seem enough. Unless people want all of their games digitally owned only. Like the other guy said, I think it's better ot take your disc to a friend's house and play it. But maybe you can just yank your hard drive out and bring it over there. *shrugs*

seriously? this argument? hasn't steam shown that there is a large amount of people who are interested in digital distribution and don't need discs?

personally i'd much rather have the disc, but i also own a few originals off of live, so apparently i got over it

I know it was said like 8 times by the PR guy that Forza 3's graphics will be the best in the genre but I don't believe that for a second.

I still think GT5's graphics are just unreal. The definition of photo realistic while what I've seen so far from Forza 3 just looks rubbery with a ton of blur. I'm no fan boy, as I still play Forza 2 daily while I only occasionally bust out GT5P with my G25.

I'm expecting a lot from Forza 3 but so far the graphics look arcade/prostreet.

Why do you need to fill up a hard drive with stuff? A 120GB hard drive will hold at least 10 full games. Are you really going to play that many back to back?

There are also demos, DLC, etc. Its not just games. And I wouldnt want to have to redownload a game, when I want to play it just because MS is screwing people over on storage.

There are also demos, DLC, etc. Its not just games. And I wouldnt want to have to redownload a game, when I want to play it just because MS is screwing people over on storage.

Ten games is a bit of an understatement. I have 7 games installed right now on my 60 gig model and probably 10ish demos and 8 xbl full games and still have room to install another game with room to spare.

seriously? this argument? hasn't steam shown that there is a large amount of people who are interested in digital distribution and don't need discs?

personally i'd much rather have the disc, but i also own a few originals off of live, so apparently i got over it

Having a console is different. If you want to go to a friends and instantly play, you cant. You have to wait till it downloads.. which might take HOURS. By then i would be drunk and sobbing.

Ten games is a bit of an understatement. I have 7 games installed right now on my 60 gig model and probably 10ish demos and 8 xbl full games and still have room to install another game with room to spare.

Depends. Games run from 5GB-7GB (one disc) which means that's 50GB (10 games on the low end) and 9 games on the highend. Also on demos and the like.

For instance, my 6 Xbox installed games and Xbox live games come out to be 43 GB. Then you have my demos alone which are 16 GB and my videos which are 4GB. All of that obviously couldn't fit on a 60GB hard drive.

Seriously impressive keynote. Some very exciting things on the horizon. I am still not sure about the motion sensing thing, but I will hold off judgment until I actually get a chance to try it. Really stoked about the upcoming games though.

I hate discs and want absolutely everything on a hard drive, i would hate to delete stuff off only to have to wait to download 1-10 gig again everytime i fancy a quick blast on something, MS need to release a 500gig hd already, but then again the thought of their hard drive pricing.....

I know it was said like 8 times by the PR guy that Forza 3's graphics will be the best in the genre but I don't believe that for a second.

I still think GT5's graphics are just unreal. The definition of photo realistic while what I've seen so far from Forza 3 just looks rubbery with a ton of blur. I'm no fan boy, as I still play Forza 2 daily while I only occasionally bust out GT5P with my G25.

Considering that GT5 is still non-existent and undated, I think I'm going to take Forza 3. Hopefully Sony will fix that problem with GT5 at their press conference today, but I have some doubts.

I was bitterly disappointed at the lack of Zune HD in the MS press conference.

I hate discs and want absolutely everything on a hard drive, i would hate to delete stuff off only to have to wait to download 1-10 gig again everytime i fancy a quick blast on something, MS need to release a 500gig hd already, but then again the thought of their hard drive pricing.....

And with ISP's making noises about bandwidth caps. Fuck, I would have gone over Time Warner's two gig bandwidth cap just getting Burnout Paradise in a state to go online when I took it out of the fucking wrapper.

I agree, while I do like Forza the 3rd looks like a tweaked PGR4 engine. Not even close to the models in GT imo.

I agree, while I do like Forza the 3rd looks like a tweaked PGR4 engine.
Umm... they look nothing like each other, not to mention the fact that PGR4 ran at 30fps, or the fact that Forza 3 has significantly more detailed models and much better lighting.

I really love the utter bullshit people come up with when it comes to GT vs Forza. On both sides of the fence.

Oh, and just as a very brief comparison...

Forza 3
2wqg83t.jpg

PGR4
17sh89.jpg

GT5:p
300wu9d.jpg

I tried to find a random Ferrari for PGR4 but couldn't see any decent shots. ;)

Last edited:
Wow, tons of game trailers and info. MS Press Conference was Excellent.

The Netflix update will be great! I use this feature almost daily and probably my favorite announcement. I have been wanting to add movies to the queue since day one.

Natal looks extremely hard to pull off, but if MS does it as well as shown in the demo videos it will be an amazing home run. Definitely looked fun.

Shadows Complex looked pretty awesome. A nice kick back to the old Metroid/Castlevania 2d type games. Definitely a purchase for me.

SC:Conviction game-play looked fun as hell. Much better than the last one. The delay seems to have actually paid off.

Developers are getting scary good at there non game-play trailers, as the CoD Modern Warfare 2 trailer felt like a movie. Game-play looks fun, but like all the other CoD games.

Forza 3 is much welcomed. Trailers looked pretty sweet. where the f is GT5 already. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Halo ODS seems bland. I'm sure will will sell though. Halo Reach sounds interesting....

I was hoping for Crackdown 2. Seemed like there was so much more they could add to the game. Glad it came out of nowhere. I had kind of lose hope for a sequel. I would love another Kameo game. :p

Finally some more Alan Wake info. I was getting worried. Between this and Mass Effect 2 I am pretty excited! :)

I could continue to ramble on about MS' press conference, but I will stop here and just say I was impressed. I can't help but wonder what surprises Sony and Nintendo have now.

Umm... they look nothing like each other, not to mention the fact that PGR4 ran at 30fps, or the fact that Forza 3 has significantly more detailed models and much better lighting.

I really love the utter bullshit people come up with when it comes to GT vs Forza. On both sides of the fence.

I said tweaked, okay maybe better than tweaked but for that dumbass to get up there on stage and repeat 10 times that it's unmatched in graphic's is just stupid.

And as far as coming up with bullshit I played Forza 2 alot but I've played GT alot more but I still like them both but I do think the GT car models are superior. You can call it bullshit if you want but thats my opinion.

Natal seems like a really cool idea, but I just have to wonder how "real" any of that was or ever will be. They even preface the whole thing that it's just a concept.
If it's real - it's revolutionary. Call me a skeptic, though. It just seems like too many things going on at once to be feasible. Either that or you'll have to spend 30 minutes calibrating it before doing anything, and everyone will have to be essentially perfectly still the whole time while playing.
It seems like a little too much for this generation. I bet we either get a neutered Natal or it ends up as a core component of the Xbox 3.

I said tweaked, okay maybe better than tweaked but for that dumbass to get up there on stage and repeat 10 times that it's unmatched in graphic's is just stupid.

And as far as coming up with bullshit I played Forza 2 alot but I've played GT alot more but I still like them both but I do think the GT car models are superior. You can call it bullshit if you want but thats my opinion.
Umm... of course GT's car models are superior to Forza 2's car models. Forza 2 looks like garbage... always has. But then we're not talking about Forza 2 are we. We're talking about Forza 3. For what it's worth, I still think GT has the edge in graphics... but that doesn't stop what you said being complete and utter crap.

"Not even close to the models in GT", "tweaked PGR4 engine", don't make me laugh.

(oh, and mendoza... your post history basically invalidates your opinion by default - even if I'm inclined to agree. Please take your fanboyism elsewhere.)

Natal seems like a really cool idea, but I just have to wonder how "real" any of that was or ever will be. They even preface the whole thing that it's just a concept.
If it's real - it's revolutionary. Call me a skeptic, though. It just seems like too many things going on at once to be feasible. Either that or you'll have to spend 30 minutes calibrating it before doing anything, and everyone will have to be essentially perfectly still the whole time while playing.
It seems like a little too much for this generation. I bet we either get a neutered Natal or it ends up as a core component of the Xbox 3.

Ya, this was my thoughts too. I guess we will see how much will become reality and how much was just wishful thinking.

Still impressive none the less. The concepts were fun to watch.

Fine they look better than tweaked, you win, I retract my statement.

I don't really want to get in an GT/Forza arguement honestly.

now ive calmed down from the initial omfg natal is fucking ace, im now thinking.........meh, anyone else the same? Dont get me wrong, im chuffed Nintendo is gonna be panicking for generations to come (hopefully) but this motion shit is gonna get old for me and many others, humans are lazy, were gonna love it at first, then its gonna be another dust collector.

i just had a laugh with my uncle re project natel, he has a false leg, will it show on his avatar if hes not wearing it!!?? or if he kicks the football and it comes flying off, what will happen? maybe the motion sensor will rrod lmao!

now ive calmed down from the initial omfg natal is fucking ace, im now thinking.........meh, anyone else the same?
As with all things of this sort, it's going to depend on the games that utilise it.

They could in theory use it for some pseudo touchscreen stuff... which would be kinda cool.

Yeah I agree and this was taken from Kotaku hands-on behind closed doors:

Molyneux had me wrap up the demo by approaching Milo again. He asked me to call Milo over by saying my own name and acting happy. Milo walked up to me and complimented me on my blue shirt (my shirt was indeed blue). Then he stood there, waiting for me to say things. There was a little awkwardness here. The Milo demo was partially being manipulated by a developer who was sitting nearby, and I couldn't tell if he was merely calibrating the game or how much he was pulling its strings. I said nice things to Milo and the virtual boy smiled. I said I was standing next to Peter Molyneux and he sort of sighed. The most charming moment was that blue-shirt moment. It felt like this virtual person made a connection with me."

Yeah the interface would be super cool in a game like dead space... or a game like minority report! We can act super serious like tom cruise and thats what gets you points in the game.

Milo: (Constipated face detected) oh my god your turd is green!! ewwwwww!
Player: Hnnnngh Yes Milo, im interacting with you hnnnnngh (splash!) whilst im on the toilet!
Milo: (Shrugs, then looks at players penis then sighs)
Party member: aw man your having a shit!
party member 2 aka MJ (avatar moonwalks onto the screen) Hey can i play with Milo again!? i love kids.
player: sure, Milo where you running away to? MJ is here.
(Milo shimmys off screen with his bum to the wall! )

Last edited:
GT5:p looks better

Are you sure that's not because the cars red and super shiny? I'd prefer all in game footage from each of the games for comparison. Especially since GT5:p looks like its had some AA treatment with blurring of background. Also GT5:p seems to have the worst looking roads.

Are you sure that's not because the cars red and super shiny? I'd prefer all in game footage from each of the games for comparison. Especially since GT5:p looks like its had some AA treatment with blurring of background. Also GT5:p seems to have the worst looking roads.
To be fair, the shots I picked were all PR shots taken from each game's photomode most likely.

This wasn't part of their keynote, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread for it. According to Joystiq "Crackdown 2 features 4-player co-op, 16-player online." Awesome!

This wasn't part of their keynote, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread for it. According to Joystiq "Crackdown 2 features 4-player co-op, 16-player online." Awesome!
I'd love to know what the story is with single player on this game.

I was surprised no Mass Effect 2 was shown in MS presentation. Probably my most anticipated game. Damn 2010 release dates.

Crackdown 2 was a nice surprise though.

Can we get some comparison shots of what car damage looks like between the games? Oh wait...

A racing game without a realistic damage model is ridiculous in 2009/2010. It heavily changes both the aesthetics and the way the game is played and takes a lot of processing power and additional work. GT5 should look 100x better than forza if there is no car damage. As it is I see it marginally better to say the least...but even now I'll wait to see it in action and not doctored screenshots.

Can we get some comparison shots of what car damage looks like between the games? Oh wait...

A racing game without a realistic damage model is ridiculous in 2009/2010. It heavily changes both the aesthetics and the way the game is played and takes a lot of processing power and additional work. GT5 should look 100x better than forza if there is no car damage. As it is I see it marginally better to say the least...but even now I'll wait to see it in action and not doctored screenshots.

GT5 should be better than Forza 3 in every possible way. Why? Because it's been in production for a bazillion years(not comparable to 3d realms, of course). Forza 2 was released in May of 2007. So if we assume they started around that time it's been about 2 years since they worked on Forza 3. If GT5's car damage can't match Forza 3's car damage, they fail. If GT5's graphics aren't significantly better, they fail. At least in my eyes they do. But maybe when GT5 releases, it will be beyond the scope of Forza 3. Maybe that's why it's taking so goddamn long.

Back