Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition $69

Status
Not open for further replies.
NFR means "Not For Resale". That merchant isn't supposed to be selling those ;). If you want a legal copy of XP, look elsewhere.

It appears to be an OEM copy (which per the licensing must be sold with, and preinstalled on a computer). No worse than going to NewEgg and buying an OEM copy of Windows. . .

I like how the regular price is listed as $299.99. Who in their right mind would pay $300 is beyond me. $70 is a pretty good deal for those who want Win XP x64. I tried to install it on my AMD 64-bit CPU, but had some problems w/ some apps, so I got rid of it. Hopefully Wi Vista will run much better, whenever it's released. And yes, I know it will cost a pretty penny.

Oooska said:
It appears to be an OEM copy (which per the licensing must be sold with, and preinstalled on a computer). No worse than going to NewEgg and buying an OEM copy of Windows. . .
Depending on the version of the licensing this OS fell under, what you said is not 100% true. The newer licensing (aka the 1-packs) can be sold without pre-installing them, not sure about the hardware requirement now if any. Even the older versions of the licensing allowed the OEM versions to be sold without pre-installing them, they had to be sold with a piece of hardware (non-peripheral I believe).

NFR LITERALLY means *NOT FOR RESALE*. Not to be traded, sold, or bartered with. It is supposed to be installed on OEM computers by manufacturers, or handed out by Microsoft at trade shows. They are not supposed to be sold under any circumstances.

Surplus Computers said:
This is a fully functional original Microsoft CD with installation key code and CD. On the CD it states you must legally own a copy of their license to use this CD. This software installs, fully activatable & registerable like the Commercial Versions you find in the retail stores. This item is shipped in an environmentally friendly packaging without the box.

This version DOES NOT come in a retail box. It comes with a CD & Authentic Keycode for activation and registration.
I'm pretty sure this is just a standard OEM disc.

Apallohadas said:
<sarcasm>That was an incredibly informative post!</sarcasm>

It was supposed to be several posts up. It was supposed to go right after

However I went to check on my kid while posting and it got out of order.

So thanks for your completly Informative retort to my post. I just felt like I was on DFI-Street for a min...

If you know so much (obviously gleaned from your extensive knowledge from DFI-Street) you could have enlightened the unwashed (or lightly fermented) masses by explaining the difference.

I felt like I was on Sesame Street for a minute...

Apallohadas said:
If you know so much (obviously gleaned from your extensive knowledge from DFI-Street) you could have enlightened the unwashed (or lightly fermented) masses by explaining the difference.

hey does it really matter how he chooses to describe things?

back on topic... that sites favicon is quite strange :p

Maybe because he didn't describe anything? Reading is fundamental.

And speaking of which, check out the resellerratings page linked above. It's truly scarey that they have such a LOW rating and they're still in business.

Apallohadas said:
And speaking of which, check out the resellerratings page linked above. It's truly scarey that they have such a LOW rating and they're still in business.

I've ordered from them before without incident. Perhaps I should have left them feedback.

Apallohadas said:

I didn't know I was here to cater to your personal search for knowledge. If you want to find out the difference its not my responsibility to tell you. I was making a comment in direct reference to another. Like thousands of other people here do every day. Stop being an ass and making something out of nothing.

Hmm... One still-unopened license straight from Microsoft, $12, another brand-new license from my friend's college just for the hell of it, free, do I really need #3 for $70?

Pass for me, but a great price if you don't mind gambling. :p

I got burned by a local shop that was selling "OEM" versions of Office w/ Mainboard and HDD. Turns out the actual media was 'replacement' media, which even though they priced it about the same as what the OEM stuff went for, cost much less....

Spazilton said:
I didn't know I was here to cater to your personal search for knowledge. If you want to find out the difference its not my responsibility to tell you. I was making a comment in direct reference to another. Like thousands of other people here do every day. Stop being an ass and making something out of nothing.
If you didn't have that chip up your ass (supposed to be on your shoulder btw), you'd have just said the difference.

Thousands of people do that each day here :D

Now relax and stop being a twit :p

I just got it at work today, so here's a picture just for your reference... this is what they'd give you...

DSC00002.jpg

They put the product key on the back with a yellow sticker. I haven't installed it yet, but I'll let you guys know if there's any catch to this or not by the evening.

Notice the bolded Not for resale on the bottom of the cd? :p

These are not legal copies, might as well go download a copy from somewhere. Buyer beware.

That's weird: the free copy I got at the 2005 AMD Tech Tour has "not for resale" on the case, but the CD itself does not have the bold statement (but it does say "for distribution with a new PC only." The sticker with the product key has "OEM software" on it.

Oh well, can't beat free. :)

numbers said:
Notice the bolded Not for resale on the bottom of the cd? :p

These are not legal copies, might as well go download a copy from somewhere. Buyer beware.

So let's say it doesn't pass validation and he calls the piracy hotline # that pops up. What will MS do? Does he get a legit key from them since he was duped or maybe even new media with a legit key for turning in the pirates?

The ones I buy from college for $10 a piece also say not for resale on them.. I don't see a difference. :confused:

Oh4Sh0 said:
Mine are free from college. Got to love MSDN Software Alliance. :D
Yea, I have that too for any form of microsoft software since I'm in engineering.. I didn't know about that program until last year.. lol. Oh well, 10 bux is nothing anyway when you are spending $700 on books alone. :(

That looks exactly like my msdnaa disc (ie their probably not legit, legit oem ones come in that blue box with a commercial quality looking holodisc.)

monkeynetman said:
I just got it at work today, so here's a picture just for your reference... this is what they'd give you...

DSC00002.jpg

They put the product key on the back with a yellow sticker. I haven't installed it yet, but I'll let you guys know if there's any catch to this or not by the evening.
That looks EXACTLY like the academic versions we got at college for $5 for two. They work just like any normal version, it's just that they're academic...

I was able to activate it and get all the critical updates with genuine advantage with this! :)

I give it the "monkeynetman approved" sticker. :D

itworks.jpg

^ Nice, congrats! Now get rid of the default MS blue background. :p

When I bought the AMD Tech Tour bundle last year, it also came with a NFR Windows XP Pro x64 CD and license key. Upon further research, we (in another thread, not here in HF) found out that one can legally sell the CD as long as it comes bundled with a computer or at least an "integral hardware component" of a computer. Many on the thread figured even a screw or bracket that one needs to build a PC would technically satisfy that clause. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back