Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10, and don't look back. Actually, you shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore. There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while, and I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year. So, why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years? It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.

Why?
Support for Windows 7 will continue for another 4 years plus.
State your reasons that Windows 7 is no longer viable.

As you define your attitude as a logical approach, state explicitly why its not a good idea for me to stay with Windows 7.

So it works for you it must work for everybody?
You like it so must everybody?
WRONG.

Not at all. But 10 is probably working fine for most people. I think idea that 10 crashes all of the time, is unstable or that 7 is just so much more productive on the desktop is ludicrous.

Linux works pretty dam good. I put it on several business machines for residents and they probably didn't know it was linux instead of windows.

For the basics sure. People like this probably don't need a PC these days anyway.

I'm not surprised with the negative reception towards Windows 10 here, even I'm not a fan of it. The Start menu sucks compared to previous versions of Windows and I find it a lot harder to nagivate, why they didn't add an option to pin frequently used programs at the left hand side of the menu is beyond me, not to mention I can't find the Control Panel unless you use the search feature which is a bigger waste of time.

Still using Windows 7... When they fully nail down issues.. i'll swap.

It will never happen. W10 is a perpetual work in progress, according to MS.
Every few months there will be an update that could potentially break your system, or change features that you regularly use, with no way to opt out of it.

MS thought they could get rid of most of their QA testing, and lay it on the end users, while monitoring for issues using telemetry. Big mistake.

I wouldn't install W10 on anything but a spare rig, that is no big deal if it's out of service and doesn't contain any personal, or classified company data.

I'm not surprised with the negative reception towards all Microsoft Windows here, even I'm not a fan of it. The Start menu sucks compared to previous versions of Windows and I find it a lot harder to nagivate, why they didn't add an option to pin frequently used programs at the left hand side of the menu is beyond me, not to mention I can't find the Control Panel unless you use the search feature which is a bigger waste of time.

Fixed that for you. Lets understand, none of the Windows versions around here were initially meet with anything other than derision.

Fixed that for you. Lets understand, none of the Windows versions around here were initially meet with anything other than derision.

There were a few bad windows versions. But none that were intentionally detrimental to the user experience.

Why?
Support for Windows 7 will continue for another 4 years plus.
State your reasons that Windows 7 is no longer viable.

As you define your attitude as a logical approach, state explicitly why its not a good idea for me to stay with Windows 7.

Windows 10 will probably be around for 14+ years. Once support for Windows 7 ends, you have to move to something else. Might as well get on with it.

I'm not surprised with the negative reception towards Windows 10 here, even I'm not a fan of it. The Start menu sucks compared to previous versions of Windows and I find it a lot harder to nagivate, why they didn't add an option to pin frequently used programs at the left hand side of the menu is beyond me, not to mention I can't find the Control Panel unless you use the search feature which is a bigger waste of time.

Frequently-used apps are automatically pinned to the left side of the Start Menu. The right side is where you manually pin and arrange things.

Windows 10 will probably be around for 14+ years. Once support for Windows 7 ends, you have to move to something else. Might as well get on with it.

Thats neither logical nor reason why I should change now.
Lets see if he comes up with anything better.

Thats neither logical nor reason why I should change now.
Lets see if he comes up with anything better.

I changed mostly because my friends and family are all upgrading, and so is my school. Being familiar with its UI makes it easier for me to help them out when they need it, and makes it less frustrating when using the school PCs. I don't want to be 2+ years behind the knowledge/familiarity curve.

Upgrading from Windows 7 is inevitable. I have to learn a new OS sooner or later. I'm not a luddite, and I like technology. I understand some people don't like to try new things. That's OK. Not very [H] though is it?

I changed mostly because my friends and family are all upgrading, and so is my school. Being familiar with its UI makes it easier for me to help them out when they need it, and makes it less frustrating when using the school PCs. I don't want to be 2+ years behind the knowledge/familiarity curve.

Upgrading from Windows 7 is inevitable. I have to learn a new OS sooner or later. I'm not a luddite, and I like technology. I understand some people don't like to try new things. That's OK. Not very [H] though is it?

How much of what you posted applies to me?

So you want to use the newest thing because everyone else uses it? You know that's the furthest thing away from what science and technology stands for. You should only use the new thing if it does a job better than the old. You said it yourself, W10 UI is frustrating, at the best.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 10, and don't look back. Actually, you shouldn't even be on Windows 7 anymore. There has been Windows 8/8.1 for a while, and I have been using Windows 10 for much more than 1 year. So, why use an antiquated OS that is going to be defunct in a few years? It just does not make any sense at all. It is not logical.
Spoken like someone who's never had software he depends on not work on a newer OS.

So you want to use the newest thing because everyone else uses it? You know that's the furthest thing away from what science and technology stands for. You should only use the new thing if it does a job better than the old. You said it yourself, W10 UI is frustrating, at the best.

I'm a PC enthusiast, not a scientist. Windows 10 is the long-term desktop OS that's going to still be the standard in a few years when Windows 7 support stops.

I don't believe I've said the UI is frustrating. You may be confusing me with someone else?

"Might as well get on with it" - WHY? Where's the fire? What is 10 doing that's better than 7 or 8? Pretty much nothing.

If anything, waiting to upgrade until support for 7 ends means upgrading to a theoretically better Windows at that point in time than the beta shitshow that exists today. That is unless Microsoft keeps regressing and the latest Windows of 2020 is just a single square mono tile that takes up the whole screen cuz "revolutionary".

Why should I upgrade to Windows 10 if I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7? Because Windows 7 support ends in 4 years? That makes no sense whatsoever. In 4 years, Windows 11 or 12 might be available and offer legitimate reasons for me to upgrade. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with 7.

"Might as well get on with it" - WHY? Where's the fire? What is 10 doing that's better than 7 or 8? Pretty much nothing.

If anything, waiting to upgrade until support for 7 ends means upgrading to a theoretically better Windows at that point in time than the beta shitshow that exists today. That is unless Microsoft keeps regressing and the latest Windows of 2020 is just a single square mono tile that takes up the whole screen cuz "revolutionary".

Calling WIndows 10 a beta shitshow is pretty much 100% nonsense. My transition to 10 from 7 on all my PCs was painless, and it's not that much different.

I don't care if you upgrade. I'm an enthusiast. You may not be, I dunno. I don't want to hold on to the old stuff as long as possible before giving in and moving to the new stuff. I want to be up to date with my knowledge base about computers.

Ha! Windows 10 is Microsoft's Dataminer Deluxe.That is all.
It's not more functional,just more intrusive.
Keyloggers,even..LOL.
Windows 10 will bring on more mainstream Linux usage.

This is what made me finally upgrade. Started getting questions that i couldn't answer... clearly it was time!

With Win 10 being SaaS and the way they now upgrade your going to be busy learning a lot more than usual. Also, there is this thing called virtualbox to learn from as well without actually upgrading. Not that there is anything wrong with upgrading.

Right click the start button. Control Panel is there. I find myself right clicking Windows 7 start menu trying to get it, but it doesn't work. Great little shortcut.

Spoken like someone who's never had software he depends on not work on a newer OS.

For software that doesn't work on a newer OS, we usually make it a barebones install, and disconnect it from the network. Dedicated machine for that software. Make it as small a target as possible.

Calling WIndows 10 a beta shitshow is pretty much 100% nonsense. My transition to 10 from 7 on all my PCs was painless, and it's not that much different.

I don't care if you upgrade. I'm an enthusiast. You may not be, I dunno. I don't want to hold on to the old stuff as long as possible before giving in and moving to the new stuff. I want to be up to date with my knowledge base about computers.

Some people have had problems, no doubt. They had problems with Windows 7, too. It's definitely not as bad as some people make it out to be. It's fairly typical of any OS. There are a few issues, and those that have them are complaining. Those that aren't are usually quiet.

I'm an enthusiast, too. I play with the latest and greatest. I'll use beta software, beta OS's, whatever. It's fun. Learning the latest OS is great. I've used Linux and tried OSX for little reason other than to play and learn about it. That's what a lot of us do.

Upgrade or do not upgrade. That's the end users choice. They can base it personal opinion, and it's fine. But, basing it on your opinion but trying to pose it as fact is what gets me.

Windows 10 will bring on more mainstream Linux usage.

Wasn't Windows 8 supposed to have done that? And Vista? The thing is that even "failed" desktop Windows releases end up being an order magnitude more widely deployed than a desktop Linux distros combined. Windows 10 matched all of desktop Linux market share 3 days after release. And you can't "blame" that on forced upgrades.

Desktop Linux isn't going to become more popular because of Windows' weaknesses but from its own strengths. And desktop Linux's biggest weakness is 3rd party hardware and software support. Until that becomes at least somewhat close to Windows, the only competition that Windows will have on the desktop is Windows.

Considering who that comment came from, I am not surprised he would try to justify something like that. I agree, Windows 10 is incredibly stable and fast. No, it is not perfect but then again, neither was Windows 7. Most of the issues I have seen with Windows 10 usually comes from an upgrade that leaves behind the HP, Dell or other OEM software that does not work with Windows 10.

I have been on Windows 10 as my primary OS since June when the 10240 was released as an Insider Preview build. All my other Operating Systems are run in VMWare Player virtual machines. (Except Windows 8.1 because I do not have a key for that to use.)

I can't wait for that big Win 10 update that hoses those 200 million PC's all in one shot! Just like they have been consistently doing for Office updates over the last few weeks...

I can't wait for that big Win 10 update that hoses those 200 million PC's all in one shot! Just like they have been consistently doing for Office updates over the last few weeks...

Every copy of Office has been hosed for the last few weeks? Odd that all of mine have been working perfectly. All 2016 currently.

Every copy of Office has been hosed for the last few weeks? Odd that all of mine have been working perfectly. All 2016 currently.

Several updates that broke outlook, forcing into restarts or starting in safe mode.

I know, I work for an IT consulting firm and we had a few days of our SD desk getting swamped by people who were hit with these updates (mostly road warriors not tied to as WSUS server)

you will say that exact same thing with next version of windows comes out. lol

Why should I upgrade to Windows 10 if I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7? Because Windows 7 support ends in 4 years? That makes no sense whatsoever. In 4 years, Windows 11 or 12 might be available and offer legitimate reasons for me to upgrade. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with 7.

You will be saying the same thing when next version of windows comes out. It's the same thing for people they hated windows 8 which it very much deserved and now people hate windows 10 just cuz they can. I am sure you will find a reason to hold on to windows 7 when windows 11 or 12 comes out. It's a free upgrade so don't know why you didn't this time. People find a reason to hold on to their precious windows 7. All power to them, I upgraded all my pc's to windows 10 and all of the sudden I have less issues with people's shit not working around the house. True story.

You will be saying the same thing when next version of windows comes out. It's the same thing for people they hated windows 8 which it very much deserved and now people hate windows 10 just cuz they can. I am sure you will find a reason to hold on to windows 7 when windows 11 or 12 comes out. It's a free upgrade so don't know why you didn't this time. People find a reason to hold on to their precious windows 7. All power to them, I upgraded all my pc's to windows 10 and all of the sudden I have less issues with people's shit not working around the house. True story.

It's pretty much the same narrative from both sides. Microsoft says that the latest version is better and more secure. Critics say something about it sucks. The UI, malware, spyware, forced upgrades. Just nothing really new here. Even the data collection and privacy issues aren't new. The UI problems got mostly fixed and they move on to stuff that I guess they slept through.

Really, if anyone has a better alternative to Windows on the desktop, boy I'd love to see it. Not some Linux distro that's got 3rd rate support. Something that's got as good support for software and hardware as Windows or damn close. Until someone gets to that point Windows will be the dominate desktop OS.

I'm a PC enthusiast, not a scientist. Windows 10 is the long-term desktop OS that's going to still be the standard in a few years when Windows 7 support stops.

I don't believe I've said the UI is frustrating. You may be confusing me with someone else?

Didn't you just write using the school PC is frustrating, because they upgraded to W10?

Your are still unable to give any reason for update apart from "it's shiny and new". It seems to me you're not making an educated choice here, just following the flock.

If testers were like you "it worked for me, everyone else is stupid" we would be in a world of pain.

Except I never said that when upgrading to W7. So get a new way to ideologize your theory. You must be living under a rock, or in write only mode, since I've already explained why we "hate" W10. Hate is not the right word though. I don't hate it, I just don't want it on my computer. Quick recap:
Ugly, inconsistent UI
apps with less functionality
less customization options
forced updates that have the potential to break a working system (even hardware)

These are the main reasons for the hate. The spying stuff is just an added bonus.

Truly you live up to your forum name. Not very [H]... lolz. I hear there are these things called VMs or spare/old computers one can use to test things.

But, its inevitable man! Contemporize man! Get with the future! Its the current year! I mean, come on!

Running XP in an enterprise environment in 2016 is irresponsible to the point of representing gross incompetence on the part of the IT department./

Oversimplify much? I got a $100k machine that pounds dirt that only works with XP. Should I tell the boss to just throw it away? :rolleyes:

Oversimplify much? I got a $100k machine that pounds dirt that only works with XP. Should I tell the boss to just throw it away? :rolleyes:

The post I was responding to clearly meant as a general purpose workstation and wasn't referring to single-purpose non-networked appliances.

Enterprises, many of which still cannot migrate from XP due to incompatible software, will have a good laugh at this.
Hell, some of my equipment at work is still running DOS because it is tied to hard coded proprietary hardware which there is no new replacement for.. and nobody is willing to make a replacement for.

The post I was responding to clearly meant as a general purpose workstation and wasn't referring to single-purpose non-networked appliances.

Yeah, that's a big difference. You'd be shot at the bank with a general purpose XP machine on our network. I don't think XP can even connect to our domains anymore.

Back