Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

Windows 7 is fine, and will be through its predefined Microsoft life cycle support end date.

Anyone still using XP - on the other hand -, especially ona system connected to a network, is a moron.

I'm a moron using XP at home because I had to sell my main rig.

However, MS did provide just enough time to move to a modern OS such as 7. I have an absurdly low budget for computers and software and even I managed to pull all my stations at work to 7. So in the event of a security audit I'm fine - IMHO running an unsupported OS when dealing with sensitive data should be addresed and at this point even punished.
If I managed do it, it means there was plenty of time.
However I won't bend to these ambigious warnings because there's nothing stopping them from simply dropping Windows 8 and 10 at some point because "F*** you that's why".

"We're so worried people's games and printers won't work in 7 [where everything works] so you should switch to 10 [where many more things don't work than 7]."

Makes sense, like the logic behind that statement.

Zarathustra[H];1042080352 said:

Anyone still using XP - on the other hand -, especially ona system connected to a network, is a moron.

XP level hardware is still OK. My main laptop is an old 2005 unit with a C2D T7200, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, and a 128 GB SSD. The processor was upgraded to the t7200. I run Fedora Linux on it and it's very usable for basic tasks such as browsing and document creation. Why bother with windows 10 and Microsoft's bullshit if I don't have to?

XP level hardware is still OK. My main laptop is an old 2005 unit with a C2D T7200, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, and a 128 GB SSD. The processor was upgraded to the t7200. I run Fedora Linux on it and it's very usable for basic tasks such as browsing and document creation. Why bother with windows 10 and Microsoft's bullshit if I don't have to?

XP is now years out of mainstream support. It has well-known exploits for which there are no fixes, and none forthcoming.

The only possible scenario in which running XP is acceptable is an isolated system without internet connectivity, or one which both touches zero valuable information (passwords etc) and itself does not have access to any other systems you'd like to remain unrooted.

XP is now years out of mainstream support. It has well-known exploits for which there are no fixes, and none forthcoming.

The only possible scenario in which running XP is acceptable is an isolated system without internet connectivity, or one which both touches zero valuable information (passwords etc) and itself does not have access to any other systems you'd like to remain unrooted.

Agreed, however I'm not sure what that has to do with XP era hardware.

the XP is still up to date on security, but the updates are not publicly available,
they are available to multiple governments worldwide, ... a law suit would likely make those available to everyone

the XP is still up to date on security, but the updates are not publicly available,
they are available to multiple governments worldwide, ... a law suit would likely make those available to everyone

And they are paying Microsoft for the privilege. I'm not sure what one would sue Microsoft over. They supported XP for 13 years. That's well beyond industry standards.

it's not an legal advice genius, find out what it means before you try to look smart on the internet ;)

You are suggesting we sue the government to get updates to windows xp then you say something like this?

And they are paying Microsoft for the privilege. I'm not sure what one would sue Microsoft over. They supported XP for 13 years. That's well beyond industry standards.

Nope, XP is no longer PCI compliant. Also POS Ready 2009 is no longer supported past 2019 and that OS has to be locked down hard.

Back