Microsoft Unveils Microsoft Teams

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday unveiled Microsoft Teams, a new chat-based workspace that further enhances the collaboration capabilities in Microsoft Office 365, the cloud-based productivity offering with more than 85 million monthly active commercial users. Microsoft Teams brings together people, conversations, content and the tools teams need to collaborate.

“At Microsoft we aim to empower every person and organization with the technology to be more productive as individuals and in groups,” said Satya Nadella, CEO, Microsoft. “Office 365 is the broadest toolkit and platform for creation, communication and collaboration. Microsoft Teams adds a new experience to Office 365 as the chat-based workspace designed to empower the art of teams.”

I'm mad that they created another application for this. Just build this damn thing into Skype for business... I tested it out and it's really not all that special but might be useful to a lot of our remote employees.

So then what are they doing with Yammer that they bought to compete with slack.... Renaming or just calling it a loss and starting over.

I'm mad that they created another application for this. Just build this damn thing into Skype for business... I tested it out and it's really not all that special but might be useful to a lot of our remote employees.

Exactly. And at the same time fix Skype's reliability and scaling issues. It already has a solid install base.

So is there a particular reason why Microsoft now has Skype, Skype For Business, and Microsoft Teams? Why do they keep reinventing their own wheels?

So is there a particular reason why Microsoft now has Skype, Skype For Business, and Microsoft Teams? Why do they keep reinventing their own wheels?

So they can sell new and shiny things while forgetting last years crap.

That's like a Zen question you have to be able to answer before you can work at Microsoft.

That's like a Zen question you have to be able to answer before you can work at Microsoft.

Sharepoint, Microsoft Groups, etc..

They keep recreating their stuff, but giving it a slightly different purpose. A lot of unfinished products out there. Maybe they are following Google's way - Beta everything, kill stuff that doesn't work...

It probably will be. It's in beta right now. So I won't be surprised if at some point that Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business will be within the same application.
Skype is from when Skype was still its own company prior to the purchase by Microsoft, Skype for Business is Lync and runs closely with Exchange/Active Directory, while Microsoft Teams is piggybacking off the Skype for Business infrastructure and bringing people together similar to what Discord and Slack does.

Back