Microsoft Unveils A New Look

IT SUCKS!!!!!
Guess windows is going full-blown tablet and mobile. Does this mean they are moving further away from desktop and server? They'd be stupid to.

Zarathustra[H];1039070139 said:
This one?

microsoft_windows_1_0-logo-c00e1b3b3f-seeklogo-com.gif

ROUNDED CORNERS! ROUNDED CORNERS! Quick, someone call Apple :D

It's hard to imagine that sweaty, clearly-insane man is running a 250 billion dollar company.

Aren't most company logos plain? The idea isn't to convey complexity or present a work of art like the Mona Lisa but and establish a unique indemnity that people will remember. And the colored squares do represent something that's actually in Microsoft products.

The colored squares represented Windows, not Microsoft - not since Windows 1.0. Microsoft essentially used Windows' success in the household brand recognition to prop up their overall name, probably because they're attempting to unify everything Microsoft under one dome - unified Office + Windows + Live Service, and unified tablet + PC + Xbox + smartphone.

Instead of making Windows their flagship anymore, they want you to start thinking of it as Microsoft now. MICROSOFT Windows. MICROSOFT Office. MICROSOFT Surface.

That's my opinion why Microsoft "stole" the colored logo from Windows.

It's hard to imagine that sweaty, clearly-insane man is running a 250 billion dollar company.

He's only sweaty because he's the hottest thing that can walk upright on two legs and probably has opposable thumbs. (Not sure on the thumbs thing, I have a hard time not getting excited when he smiles and, because he's crazy, he smiles a lot! :) )

He's only sweaty because he's the hottest thing that can walk upright on two legs and probably has opposable thumbs. (Not sure on the thumbs thing, I have a hard time not getting excited when he smiles and, because he's crazy, he smiles a lot! :) )

I'd swear he was on cocaine, if he wasn't so obese.

This will most likely sound like im trolling, but im actually curious if you have used Windows 8 yourself ?

Because, as it is right now, the desktop a single click/keypress away.

It's there in the very basic of functionality, only as a fallback it seems for applications that aren't Metro friendly. It's being pushed aside with Metro as the focus, I don't like the Desktop getting the back seat. I want the Desktop to be front and center, and the Metro to be in the background, or not even in the PC versions but restricted to Tablets.

Metro is good for tablets, it is not good for desktop computers.

It's there in the very basic of functionality, only as a fallback it seems for applications that aren't Metro friendly. It's being pushed aside with Metro as the focus, I don't like the Desktop getting the back seat. I want the Desktop to be front and center, and the Metro to be in the background, or not even in the PC versions but restricted to Tablets.

Metro is good for tablets, it is not good for desktop computers.

So what is good for desktop computers?

Metro is new, new stuff gets the attention. But I'm sitting here on my dual 1920x1200 screen i7 920 6GB RAM 240 GD SSD 580 GTX power desktop running Windows 8 and the desktop is full force. Three instances of Visual Studio 2012, OneNote, Word and Excel 2013, Sumatra PDF with the Xbox Music app playing music from my Zune Pass (which I guess gets a new name sometime). Classic PC Gaming is just as good as Windows 7. I've got 500+ tiles on my Start Screen, which all sorts of notification going on, it's just something that brings life to a PC, even desktops.

With PC OEM after PC OEM reporting dismal sales numbers for PCs I just don't know how Windows can endure as classic desktop/laptop OS in the consumer space. It's needs SOMETHING to remain interesting to average consumers that now have so many alternatives to PCs.

I bet they'll deny that the "blue logo" never existed either, just like Metro never existed. :rolleyes:

Microsoft never had a fucking logo they had There name in fucking helvetica font AKA the fucking font people use to write high school papers with, with a dash and crap cut out on it.

This is the fucking first logo they have had since the early 80s.

Microsoft%20logos.jpg

Now they have a fucking font they made up with 4 color sqaures man I wish I got the fucking logo design job at microsoft I could not even pass with a C in my fucking typography or deisgn classes doing this.

I had to glance at it twice to realize there was a change...

Instead of the curvy boxes it's now just normal boxes and a font change? This is big news? Meh

So what is good for desktop computers?

Metro is new, new stuff gets the attention. But I'm sitting here on my dual 1920x1200 screen i7 920 6GB RAM 240 GD SSD 580 GTX power desktop running Windows 8 and the desktop is full force. Three instances of Visual Studio 2012, OneNote, Word and Excel 2013, Sumatra PDF with the Xbox Music app playing music from my Zune Pass (which I guess gets a new name sometime). Classic PC Gaming is just as good as Windows 7. I've got 500+ tiles on my Start Screen, which all sorts of notification going on, it's just something that brings life to a PC, even desktops.

With PC OEM after PC OEM reporting dismal sales numbers for PCs I just don't know how Windows can endure as classic desktop/laptop OS in the consumer space. It's needs SOMETHING to remain interesting to average consumers that now have so many alternatives to PCs.
Most of what you're talking about is Legacy UI or Classic UI, not Metro or Modern UI.

When benchmarks come out, I have little doubt we'll see the performance of Windows 8 is as good or better than on Windows 7. I get the feeling that those improvements come from kernel and overall system improvements. I don't think Microsoft looked at Windows 8 with an eye to improve it specifically for desktop users or non-touch laptop users.

From what I've seen, you're completely over exaggerating on the "dismal" numbers for PCs. The reports I've heard and seen suggest slips of a percent or two. However, we're in a "recovering" economy right now, and when I want to improve my desktop performance, I buy new RAM, a new SSD, a new video card, etc. If I want to improve my laptop performance, I'm limited in those areas and am more likely to buy a new laptop. If I purchased a tablet or phone and needed to improve performance, I would have to buy a new one.

Finally, listen to your last argument. Microsoft needs to do something to keep the consumer interested? The consumer is fickle. Assuming Windows 8 does take off, what happens when the consumer loses interest in Windows tablets and Metro? Should Microsoft be releasing brand new UIs and APIs every two or three releases? Does Microsoft need to reimagine/reinvent Windows every two to three versions?

Microsoft never had a fucking logo they had There name in fucking helvetica font AKA the fucking font people use to write high school papers with, with a dash and crap cut out on it.

This is the fucking first logo they have had since the early 80s.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.ne...placed_wide/public/201208/Microsoft logos.jpg

Now they have a fucking font they made up with 4 color sqaures man I wish I got the fucking logo design job at microsoft I could not even pass with a C in my fucking typography or deisgn classes doing this.

Fucking fuck, man, fucking fuck.

Fucking.

From what I've seen, you're completely over exaggerating on the "dismal" numbers for PCs. The reports I've heard and seen suggest slips of a percent or two. However, we're in a "recovering" economy right now, and when I want to improve my desktop performance, I buy new RAM, a new SSD, a new video card, etc. If I want to improve my laptop performance, I'm limited in those areas and am more likely to buy a new laptop. If I purchased a tablet or phone and needed to improve performance, I would have to buy a new one.

I don't think HP and Dell would say I'm exaggerating. I know there are a lot of factors to consider but even small negative growth in the context of explosive tablet and smart phone growth is pretty dismal. Yes, the PC market is much more mature but the trends simply don't indicate a healthy PC market in the future.

Finally, listen to your last argument. Microsoft needs to do something to keep the consumer interested? The consumer is fickle. Assuming Windows 8 does take off, what happens when the consumer loses interest in Windows tablets and Metro? Should Microsoft be releasing brand new UIs and APIs every two or three releases? Does Microsoft need to reimagine/reinvent Windows every two to three versions?

So what is the alternative? To ignore the consumer market?

Fucking fuck, man. Fucking fuck? :confused:

(SkribbelKat, what's he talking aboout? :eek:)

:p

On a serious note, I like the new look, but I don't really understand why the Windows flag is being used as part of the MS logo. Obviously WIndows and Microsoft go hand in hand, but Windows isn't Microsoft. If that makes sense.

In that video, MS associated blue with Windows, orange with Office, green with Xbox, but yellow is undefined. WTF? :rolleyes:

Yellow = everything else (servers stuff - Bing, Skydrive, Outlook.com). Just click through their products and you will see what is "yellow".

Yellow = everything else (servers stuff - Bing, Skydrive, Outlook.com). Just click through their products and you will see what is "yellow".
I guess it's their catch-all, but I noticed it being ignored in that 30-sec. commercial vid. I guess I noticed it since yellow is my fav. color. :cool:

Fucking fuck, man. Fucking fuck? :confused:

(SkribbelKat, what's he talking aboout? :eek:)

It's an expression of frustration over the gerbils escaping from the insides of his HP inkjet printer in order to begin life anew in a post-nuclear apocalypitc wasteland where unicorns and puppies have formed an alliance to thwart the evils of Macromedia's latest lycanthrope lapine laua.

It's an expression of frustration over the gerbils escaping from the insides of his HP inkjet printer in order to begin life anew in a post-nuclear apocalypitc wasteland where unicorns and puppies have formed an alliance to thwart the evils of Macromedia's latest lycanthrope lapine laua.

I don't appreciate racial slurs.

Back