Microsoft Turned Down GTA III For Original Xbox

Nobody expected GTAIII to become what it did. In fact, I remember screenshots of the game getting serious criticism before release.

Yankeez said:
Why the crap would you reject one of the most popular series in video game history

You do realize this was about 4 years ago, and that prior to GTA3, this was a no name, niche franchise?

"When we do our research and ask PS2 owners why they're going to buy a PS3, they say it's because it's the only place they'll get Grand Theft Auto," he told us.

I would have thought it to be the only system for Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Grand Tourismo, God of War.....So many great adn exclusive titles. Need we go on. :rolleyes:

I'm not a Sony fan boy but come on.

GTA > everything else Sony has in the US. MGS, FF, etc, are all popular, but they can't compare with GTA. Nothing else can come close to it in terms of mass apeal.

Sobek said:
I would have thought it to be the only system for Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Grand Tourismo, God of War.....So many great adn exclusive titles. Need we go on. :rolleyes:

I'm not a Sony fan boy but come on.

Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are still possibilities. Gran Turismo has brand recognition but the quality of Forza is arguably far superior. God of War is easily countered by Ninja Gaiden.

In retrospec, I still only want the PC version anyways. It blew the PS2 version away. I wonder what kind of stuff will be in the next GTA.

Maybe this sounds funny, but I wish they weren't making it for the consols, becasue it holds them back on what they are able to do without re-writing the game over and over. If they could concentrate on PC only, the game would be superior to what is if they try to please all platforms. It will still probably be great, but things can always be improved.

Doesn't surprise me. I was a big fan of GTA2 on the PC, but was very critical of their decision to make GTA3 a 3d shooter. They pulled it off well though, and I don't need to tell anyone the rest.

Langford said:
In retrospec, I still only want the PC version anyways. It blew the PS2 version away. I wonder what kind of stuff will be in the next GTA.

Maybe this sounds funny, but I wish they weren't making it for the consols, becasue it holds them back on what they are able to do without re-writing the game over and over. If they could concentrate on PC only, the game would be superior to what is if they try to please all platforms. It will still probably be great, but things can always be improved.

i dont think this will be a problem this tiem around just look at oblivion for an example.

Filter said:
i dont think this will be a problem this tiem around just look at oblivion for an example.

Yeah, the new consols should allow awesome graphics. For the next game, I'm more concerned about the game play. More specifically, the interactions with the envirnment. GTA-SA looked as good as it played, but having seen how good it was, I think I will be disapointed if the game doesn't have a bit more to it. I guess i'm hoping for more interactions with the enviornment; For example. if I wrap a car around a tree, I want it to react realisticly instead of just simple falling or sitting there untouched. They went a long way in making some of the smaller items destroyable on GTA-SA, but there is a lot more that can be done, and I am hoping they do it. I fear that consol-suppot may hold them back in thoses reguards. They also did a lot more stuff on foot, but I am hoping for some more vehicle based improvements. I guess I'm just a fan who wants more.

Side-rant: The only thing I really disliked about GTA-SA was the "gang war" missions where teritory had to be aquired; That part was just long, dull and repetittive. I never wanted to be in a FPS, and I went for GTA to avoid simple FPS games.

Filter said:

Ya the PC version graphics are nice but I don't want a console HUD anymore ...

Rockstar's GTA 3 was cool and innovative, and so was their ability to get people to buy the same game like six more times after that. I can't wait to see how many times they can get the average person to buy their new table tennis game :

Table Tennis: Table Tennis Edition!
Table Tennis: Olympic Edition!
Table Tennis: Origins Edition!
Table Tennis: Hip Hop Underground Edition!
Table Tennis: Handheld Remake Edition!
Table Tennis: Handheld-remake-ported-back-to-nextgen-console Edition!

Oooh, I can't wait! :p

Langford said:
Yeah, the new consols should allow awesome graphics. For the next game, I'm more concerned about the game play. More specifically, the interactions with the envirnment. GTA-SA looked as good as it played, but having seen how good it was, I think I will be disapointed if the game doesn't have a bit more to it. I guess i'm hoping for more interactions with the enviornment; For example. if I wrap a car around a tree, I want it to react realisticly instead of just simple falling or sitting there untouched. They went a long way in making some of the smaller items destroyable on GTA-SA, but there is a lot more that can be done, and I am hoping they do it. I fear that consol-suppot may hold them back in thoses reguards. They also did a lot more stuff on foot, but I am hoping for some more vehicle based improvements. I guess I'm just a fan who wants more.

Side-rant: The only thing I really disliked about GTA-SA was the "gang war" missions where teritory had to be aquired; That part was just long, dull and repetittive. I never wanted to be in a FPS, and I went for GTA to avoid simple FPS games.

They need to completely revamp the physics engine. It's ludicrous that vehicles in the game can barely make it up some paved inclines in the GTA games.

Well they've learned from their mistakes because now they're getting GTA4 for the 360 on release day Oct. 2007.

K600 said:
They need to completely revamp the physics engine. It's ludicrous that vehicles in the game can barely make it up some paved inclines in the GTA games.

I feel OK about the vehicles, I just don't believe in indestructable game elements. A few cars were a little small, but to be fair, some vehicles in real life were pretty weak. If you are willing to pedal, the bicycle is the ultimate get-away vehicle.

GTA was beyond a niche franchise prior to GTA3. People had heard of it, and it had a following...but it was virtually untouched over here in the US.
MS likely passed on it because it wasn't really marketable. It would be like a game like State of Emergency or the Suffering suddenly got a HUGE third sequel that out-sold Final Fantasy.
You can't see into the future, you know?
Who knew Halo would be what it is? Back on 1999 I'd guess it was dismissed as a shooter that looked like Citizen Kabuto.

The GTA games got better and better, but there are still areas they could improve. If they can simply keep the scope of San Andreas and improve the graphics I think most of us would be happy.

theNoid said:
Well they've learned from their mistakes because now they're getting GTA4 for the 360 on release day Oct. 2007.
yeah money can make one forgive everything.

zero002021 said:
Free game? Whats going on? Did I miss something? :confused:

The ops link is a referral link to xboxcircle.. I'm assuming you get a free game after so many clicks

Kersk said:
Rockstar's GTA 3 was cool and innovative, and so was their ability to get people to buy the same game like six more times after that. I can't wait to see how many times they can get the average person to buy their new table tennis game :

Oooh, I can't wait! :p
LOL!!! FTW!!! :p

You forgot to mention the part where the Xbox 360 would have exclusive marketplace-downloadable coloured ping pong balls, available in green, blue or red for 1000 points each! They call it "episodic content" :D

Back