Microsoft To Disable Most Flash Content In Edge

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft has just announced plans to selectively pause certain Flash content in the next release of its Edge browser. The company says that the changes will not affect the "most popular" sites at first but that will change in the coming months.

Adobe Flash has been an integral part of the web for decades, enabling rich content and animations in browsers since before HTML5 was introduced. In modern browsers, web standards pioneered by Microsoft, Adobe, Google, Apple, Mozilla, and many others are now enabling sites to exceed those experiences without Flash and with improved performance and security. Starting in the Anniversary Edition of Windows 10, we began to give users more control over Flash by selectively pausing certain Flash content, like ads, that were not central to the page.

Yes, today's ads are much harder to turn off or to keep static since they use methods that cannot be stopped short of not loading the page. Flash, which *can* be turned off, is old hat now and revenue generators are leaving it behind. Hurray for the future!

I still like Firefox better

I was a fan of IE11 in Windows 8 with the option to color the thing and make it look like the task bar.

Microsoft should have never put Flash into Windows. The worse part is they did it recently, towards the end of Flash's life! Not including it would have accelerated Flash's demise.

Microsoft should have never put Flash into Windows. The worse part is they did it recently, towards the end of Flash's life! Not including it would have accelerated Flash's demise.

They even put it in Windows Server products. WTF were they thinking?

Fucktarts. Flash is the only reason I still use Edge, since I have long since excised Chrome from my laptop (and as a result, my desktops). I do not want to install a plugin into Firefox just to use an outdated POS work site when I can just use Edge (since it is forced onto Win10 computers, anyways).

Fucktarts. Flash is the only reason I still use Edge, since I have long since excised Chrome from my laptop (and as a result, my desktops). I do not want to install a plugin into Firefox just to use an outdated POS work site when I can just use Edge (since it is forced onto Win10 computers, anyways).

believe or not this is a good thing actually, things like this for example forced vmware to develop an html5 experience of their vsphere web client

Back