Microsoft Technet Subscription Student Discount - $99/yr

thanks op! been waiting/hoping for one of these since i missed the March one. Thanks a ton!:D

sorry if this is a dumb question but for $99 you get access to buy microsoft software and you get 10 lisences each, or do you actually get a genuine download of windows vista ultimate (with 10 installs and all that other software) for $99?

In other words do you have to pay for the software after you pay the $99 or do you pay $99 period? That sounds a bit too cheap to be true :p

sorry if this is a dumb question but for $99 you get access to buy microsoft software and you get 10 lisences each, or do you actually get a genuine download of windows vista ultimate (with 10 installs and all that other software) for $99?

In other words do you have to pay for the software after you pay the $99 or do you pay $99 period? That sounds a bit too cheap to be true :p

$99 period... it's been around forever, it's not a scam, just a nice coupon code...

For $99 you are able to download the software, and activate it 10 times...although if you hit the 10 time limit during your subscription, they'll typically still allow you to activate it. You have a fully functional release of each title without any cost outside of the $99.

don't think this has been asked yet...

Can you still activate a product after your one year subscription expires? Lets say you only used 3 of you activations on XP Pro. Would you still be able to activate 1 year from now if you didn't renew?

Stinks that we have to wait 10 days before we can use it... :( I want some Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Ultimate now! :)

Can you still activate a product after your one year subscription expires? Lets say you only used 3 of you activations on XP Pro. Would you still be able to activate 1 year from now if you didn't renew?

Yes, that code is valid for all 10 installs of XP Pro. So if you were to reformat once a year, that code would last you 10 years (obviously way longer than the subscription period of one year). I've heard on SD that it is possible that the code isn't even counted, seeing as some people are claiming they've used the code 12+ times.

Yup. They become full fledged versions with the codes that are provided.

10 years from now - assuming you have not activated office 2007 10 times -- you can install it, and activate it just fine.

Doing that is the same as pirating windows by downloading it off a torrent site or getting a copy from a friend.

The software is for testing, training, and using to demo to customers/clients. Installing it on all of your families machines or at an office is agasint the eula.

Not sure how technet words it as I've had an action pack for years but pretty much with the action pack we can use it for internal servers and to demo for customers(as well as internal training). That is it. We use are copies on some test servers to try stuff before we put it into production. I've also use stuff like project to show clients how it can work for them. Hell the money MS has made of that covers the shit they give me in the action pack.

How many students are going to use any of this software for that purpose? Those that actually have a need for it, for school purposes, likely get it through the school for free. I certainly wouldn't advocate giving licenses to friends, as it's a clear abuse of the license and if that's not a good enough reason, then you can worry that your friends may give the key to some of their friends and you'll quickly find it blacklisted.

As I read the normal technet eula, there's nothing in it that says that you can't use it on home computers for you and your family. Of course the EULA that I read said you could install it on an unlimited number of machines, not 10.

I probably don't need this, as I have MSDN through the school, but I've used those licenses up, and I know I can more than make that $100 back just by getting rid of the paid licenses I have sitting around.

Bought it anyway,

I bit. Prob don't need it but I bit. Never have to much software and I've been wanting to play with Server 2008 and well Vista Ultimate is worth it.

Well for 106 bucks with tax, I had to bite. I may not get my money's worth, given that I already have a copy of Vista Business and 2 licenses for office 2007, but if I ever get around to building a server, it'll pay off. Regardless, for this price, I had to byte ;)

Makes me glad I didn't grab it when that 40% off coupon was floating around.

Now if I could just get a student version of Wavelab 6, I'd be in heaven.

Anyone that bit want to adopt me? I wanna try Server 2k8 lol :p

jk BTW, so no one freak out on me! Just a jk!

i've got most everything from this that i would want, but i can't bring myself to pass it up...

i'll hop on it soon enough; thanks a ton OP!

Anyone receive an email yet confirming the order? I bit on this last night, but forgot to print the receipt out.

i tried doing this but it says the promotion code is invalid. does anyone know of a new promo code?

edit: nvm looks like MS deactivated the code. if anyone has any leads as to when this starts up again or another code that would be awesome.

Anyone know who to contact to cancel this?

As I said, I get MSDN through my college, but thought I'd used everything: I looked online and they just updated with more software. Server 2008, 2003 RC2, 64 bit Vista, all the ones I didn't see before but saw here. Basically everything short of Office (which they still want you to buy from the webstore...bastards) is there for me, and I already have Office.

As I said, I get MSDN through my college, but thought I'd used everything: I looked online and they just updated with more software. Server 2008, 2003 RC2, 64 bit Vista, all the ones I didn't see before but saw here. Basically everything short of Office (which they still want you to buy from the webstore...bastards) is there for me, and I already have Office.

is there a way to transfer it lol. id gladly send you the money through paypal

Maybe you can pass the account to me :)......JK

But you should be able to shoot them an e-mail or post in their forums...there should be a phone number too

I can't find the phone number. I saw it last night, but I've formatted the computer I originally bought it on (I was trying out OSX)

I went ahead and tried it. Wish I had more info to give them, but oh well.

Worst case scenario I have even more copies of software...

has anyone actaully gotten the login information? I payed and got the order confimartion, but haven't gotten the ability to login.

Got the email confirmation of the purchase 30 minutes ago. Been on hold w/ MS about cancelling for 10 minutes.

*update*
Order was charged, but will be cancelled.

XP Pro SP2, SP1, Tablet 2005, 2003 RC2 32 bit and 64 bit, 2008 64 and 32 bit, Visio 2007, Office Enterprise 2007, and 3 copies of Vista Business. That should be all I need, and didn't cost me a penny (other than tuition)

No Office or Vista Ultimates, but I already had these thanks to the WFP deal.

Sigh...knew a linux fanboy wouldn't be far behind. I know...crazy cost for software that actually has support for most major hardware out there. :rolleyes:

Clearly you have never used Linux - hardware support is out of the box for damn near everything nowadays - flaky Windows drivers, however, are still the norm the norm.

I suggest you check your facts before making claims about Linux's hardware support

but, as not to threadshit, I'd like to tell most "students" here that if your school is part of the program, you can get this stuff for free from Microsoft's channel 8, minus Server 2k8 (2k3 available) and the Windows Installs. However, those are also available free through Microsoft's Feedback program for Vista

https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

* Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
* Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
* SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
* Expression Studio
* XNA Game Studio 2.0
* XNA Creators Club Online
* Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
* Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
* Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition
* Visual Web 2005 Express Edition
* Visual J++ 2005 Express Edition