Microsoft Teams for Linux. Is it any good?

Discussion in 'Cloud Computing' started by mephistopoa, Dec 11, 2019.

1. mephistopoa

mephistopoa [H]Lite

Microsoft just released the first version of Teams client for linux after so much demand and countless requests by the community. How does it stack up against the Windows version? Is it any good?

2. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

I don't see the appeal.

3. mephistopoa

mephistopoa [H]Lite

why not? Could you please give more details?

4. techie81

techie81 [H]ard for [H]ardware

Teams for Windows is a monstrosity itself let alone for Linux.

5. mephistopoa

mephistopoa [H]Lite

It is not a lightweight application by any means, also consider how many different technologies it is pulling together. What would you suggest to use in place?

6. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

7. Eulogy

Eulogy 2[H]4U

7 years inactive, and suddenly on here starting multiple threads about a junk MS collaboration product?

8. mephistopoa

mephistopoa [H]Lite

Glad to see how respectful some of you are instead of helping each other out as a community, all the best for you.

Sulphademus and auntjemima like this.
  9. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

I don't see anything disrespectful. I do see a lack of interest in it though.

10. mephistopoa

mephistopoa [H]Lite

if you are not interested, you are welcome to ignore the topic move on then and leave it for people that may find it useful. Same as what you would do in real life in a social situation.

Chuklr and auntjemima like this.
  11. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

For this unfamiliar, and since someone linked office, what does this program do? I would be willing to give it a shot on my Linux machine for a test, if you wanted.

12. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

It's a web portal for office. I still haven't heard why this is better than opening a browser and going the MS office website.

13. jardows

jardows [H]ard|Gawd

This could be useful. We use Teams extensively at my work, though what my team uses it for specifically the web interface works fine. Be nice to have an actual working client program.

14. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

Popped up on my wife's desktop, which uses a license from her school.

Still don't know WTF it does.

15. iroc409

iroc409 [H]ard|Gawd

Microsoft killed the basic messenger app (most recently named Skype) that's been mature and stable since about 1997 and replaced it with a bloated clunky mess called Teams. It's a "team collaboration tool" that ties into all your messaging, personal documents, scheduling, email, etc. If your IT department allows it you can make work teams in it to facilitate collaboration. It is supposed to replace internal emails and storage shares with chat and file transfer (sort of). You can use neat animations and stickers in chat now, but don't use too many because you can never delete anything in chat and too many will slow down your system (per our training).

For the sake of the thread I won't list my dislikes, but it is a work in progress and I haven't talked to a single coworker that likes the new software. Our corporate training was a mess. On the bright side now I get weekly emails full of statistics for them to tell me how to do my job better, which for my role is more confusing than helpful. For example, I know that my average email response time is about 15 minutes. According to Microsoft I am being unproductive and my response time should be a minimum of two hours--which is a pretty good idea when a large portion of your role entails expedited logistics so the best thing to do is sit on your thumbs.

It's great! :LOL: I could never think of a valid reason to use it outside of work purposes.

blackmomba and IdiotInCharge like this.
  16. DogsofJune

DogsofJune 2[H]4U

Nice, thanks for finally enlightening us

17. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

I'd be surprised if Microsoft Teams for Linux is good, because for Windows its wretched.

Eulogy and DogsofJune like this.
  18. Vermillion

Vermillion [H]ardness Supreme

That's not all it does though. I use it daily for work and I actually like it for work and work only. Not sure why a "native" version of Teams is needed though for Linux. The web version works just fine and the "native" is nothing but the web version wrapped with Electron anyways. :p

Teams is basically Slack on steroids. The collaboration is actually very powerful. We tie all of our Project SharePoint sites into Teams so all collaboration happens there. We can access all of the project files through Teams etc, etc. I can see where it's not ideal for some companies or situations but in the right environment it's very powerful which is why we use it.

19. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

I believe the Electron wrapper uses less memory?

20. Vermillion

Vermillion [H]ardness Supreme

Electron and less memory don't go in the same sentence. ;)

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  21. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

True, but you can write a paragraph regarding Chrome and less memory...

22. Dajinn

Dajinn [H]Lite

the real question is, is Teams itself any good?

23. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

I don't use Microsoft software, no need to so I wouldn't know.

24. Eulogy

Eulogy 2[H]4U

Depends. Do you want a dead simple chat and collaboration space with an incredibly easy API available?
    Or do you want clunky, difficult to use, really stupid and weird limits, and lacking in simple features, but probably free with your O365 subscription? ;)

25. Mazzspeed

Mazzspeed 2[H]4U

I actually really like Google Hangouts...Aaaaand, they're getting rid of it.

My Gawd Google are retarded.