Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Now Live!

I think I just got prompted for that same update:

mse03.jpg

Seems the Anti Malware Service Executable uses about 7MB less, where the UI process is about 300k more. Not a bad trade off.

Seems the Anti Malware Service Executable uses about 7MB less, where the UI process is about 300k more. Not a bad trade off.

Yeah, service is smaller it looks like. I'm not a fan of the taskbar icon change though. I like the old one better.

Here are my screen captures from this morning's update. First one shows the only update, second one is the download in progress.

mse01.jpg

mse02.jpg

As I said, it's a known issue that WU will say the update is bigger then it is. (There is logic to send you the smallest definition update possible.) You can check the windowsupdate.log to tell you the exact size you downloaded, and if it's still 5MB each time, please post the relevant sections.

And for the rest of you, wondering about Today's update, yes, today was the MSE refresh.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

One bug I found (this will apply to almost nobody):

On my XP development machine everytime I compile using Borland C++ Builder 6.0 MSE goes bonkers, not sure what the hell it is doing.

Yeah. I added the entire folder though, don't know if that would make a difference.

Anyone know if Windows Defender is now "part" of MSE ???

The actual process that goes crazy is msmpeng.exe, which I know was once part of Windows defender, but now appears to be included in MSE

If you're running version 2140, you're running a leaked version of MSE. You will not receive or be offered the build 1500 update. In order to get latest version, uninstall 2140 and download build 1407 from softpedia. I had to do this to my work machine earlier today.

What? It says I have 2140 and I downloaded it from Microsoft directly...

I am just restating the information I found out on the net. Until I changed to the 1407 build I did not receive the update. 2140 won't update since the build number is higher.. Maybe Microsoft accidently released a typo build. Maybe it was supposed to be 1140..

So we are sure then the 1500 build is LATER than the 2140 build?

EDIT:

I just checked the time stamps on the installers in the Properties. The 1500 build is date June 16, 2009. The 2140 build is dated June 13! Three days earlier! Okay, I'll stick with 1500 until I hear otherwise. BTW the version numbers for the actual AV components have the same version numbers between the builds.

I don't think mine is auto-updating definitions. Today is about over and it hasn't updated since sometime yesterday--likely when I did it manually.

Not sure, but 2140 does not have the 1500 build system tray icon status changes. Maybe 2XXX and 1XXX could be different build branches?

Anyone know if Windows Defender is now "part" of MSE ???
It absolutely is. If you're on XP, you can uninstall Defender. If you're on Vista or 7, Defender is disabled if you have MSE installed. The security/action center will report MSE as Virus and Spyware protection.

Verified - I grabbed the build from Softpedia and got it up and running, big ugly green icon and all... ;) Interesting how that worked out with the builds, but it's all good now. Nothing noted so far, will do some testing later on with respect to that spiked CPU usage during scans. I think when all this is finally said and done I'm gonna m4d h4x0r the exe files so they start and run in low priority (not interested in batch files when I should be able to modify the actual exe code). Bleh...

I gave up on it. I'd be using my machine and the CPU would hit 50+% and the hard drive would start going nuts. The interface wouldn't show it was doing anything, but with Sysinternals Process Monitor I could see what file it was scanning. If it's going to choke my machine they could at least show it as scanning files...

You can check the windowsupdate.log to tell you the exact size you downloaded, and if it's still 5MB each time, please post the relevant sections.
I don't see anything listed in my log file pertaining to file size.

The definitions have been solidly increasing in size by about 200KB a day since v 1500 came out. Up to 6.2MB now.

i got the 1.0.1500.0 version, originally it was something older, it auto updated a few days ago to this one, and i got mine originally through download.com or softpedia.com, one of those popular free download site, 100% legit.....after repeatedly getting the "we are not accepting any new beta users" message at the MS site :)

That's what I was hoping to find out by posting in this thread. It seems to be pulling down a whole definition file, rather than just an update.

Out of curiosity why are you guys so concerned about definition size on your desktop computers? If this an enterprise deployment I would agree (My last job we had to send a 25MB Norton SAV pattern files out to 68,000 computers every Thursday night. I would have killed for a 6MB file in that case) but why bother thinking about it for your personal desktops/laptops?

Out of curiosity why are you guys so concerned about definition size on your desktop computers? If this an enterprise deployment I would agree (My last job we had to send a 25MB Norton SAV pattern files out to 68,000 computers every Thursday night. I would have killed for a 6MB file in that case) but why bother thinking about it for your personal desktops/laptops?

See my earlier comment:

Maybe there's a valid reason for doing it, but all I know is if I had dial-up (Over half of America is still on dial up, we need to remember this...) it would suck having 4MB to download when you could possibly get away with under 500KB.

See my earlier comment:

I understand what you're saying. Then again I just don't give a shit about speed anymore since I was sending 25MB SAV pattern files or a 2.5GB ISO to convert the system from NT to WEPOS to systems and some of them are on dial-up speed frame relays. ;)

I'll have a screenshot soon, but did anyone else get a 24.3 MB update this morning?

hugeupdate.jpg

Last edited:
After it downloaded the entire file and tried to install, it failed. I tried rerunning Windows Update, and didn't see it again, restarted, and still didn't see it as an available update. Weird.

After it downloaded the entire file and tried to install, it failed. I tried rerunning Windows Update, and didn't see it again, restarted, and still didn't see it as an available update. Weird.

My laptop was downloading a file via clicking update in MSE for a long time this morning and it failed as well. I didn't bother checking the size but nearly 25mb would be about right for the time it was taking.

Saw the "super sized" update, 24.3MB, grabbed it, no issues. Program executable is still showing 1.0.1500.0, engine is at 1.1.5005.0, and the definitions are at 1.65.28.0 now.

Back