Microsoft Responds To Unhappy Blogger

HardOCP News

[H] News
Some guy, upset with Microsoft because he couldn’t host a Windows 7 party due to his location, sent off an angry e-mail to the company. That in itself is nothing new but it is the response to his e-mail that made this story newsworthy. :cool:

what in the hell were they smoking to come with the turtle? is it suppose to be ode to Discworld? I hope not.

we all live on a giant green turtle's back

a giant green turtle's back

a giant green turtle's back

we all live on a giant green turtle's back

etc. etc.

Can't wait till I get mine! I remembered someone saying we should be getting ours around Oct 10th?

WTF IS THAT GIANT TURTLE THING

this one is even better....

capture1ys.jpg

Dude should just accept his geographical limitations...
nice that he got free stuff but still...

Can't wait till I get mine! I remembered someone saying we should be getting ours around Oct 10th?

BY the 10th, and there has been a few other confirmed recipients of the package, so all of us that were accepted should really be expecting them anyday now.

BY the 10th, and there has been a few other confirmed recipients of the package, so all of us that were accepted should really be expecting them anyday now.

Mine shipped via UPS today...so by the 10th seems to be accurate.

The bottom line here is that Apple would have NEVER done this.

Anyone remember the kid with the signed Xbox that sent it off for RRoD repair and it came back clean? Remember how MS came through on that one? It's a hell of a read if you don't:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/22/even-happier-ending-for-cleaned-xbox-360-owner-gates-signed-c/

Not quite the evil company everyone makes them out to be.

wow thats pretty awesome (apart from what an ungrateful turd the guy was). No company I've ever dealt with has ever given a shit. Maybe I need to write whingy emails

It's one of the Aero themes for Windows 7

No wonder I felt like I've seen that turtle thing somewhere. but couldn't recall... now I remember it was when I run the trial Windows 7 :D

I wish he would have shown the tote bags...I'm kind of curious about them

I know what to expect of napkins, and cards, and Win 7 Ultimate...but those tote bags could either be decent cloth ones like AMD gave away for their x64 AMD Tech Tour events, or crappy paper ones.

The bottom line here is that Apple would have NEVER done this.

Anyone remember the kid with the signed Xbox that sent it off for RRoD repair and it came back clean? Remember how MS came through on that one? It's a hell of a read if you don't:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/22/even-happier-ending-for-cleaned-xbox-360-owner-gates-signed-c/

Not quite the evil company everyone makes them out to be.

Kudos to Microsoft for stepping up to the plate. :)

in either case if it hadn't hit public domain on some large scale both people likely wouldn't of gotten jack! the only reason MS did something was to save face in the end and get good PR.

But this opens a large can of worms for many other people who's home town wasnt on the list, heck i could of thrown a party at work in our conference room, i did check the application, but nope, costa rica wasnt listed...

in either case if it hadn't hit public domain on some large scale both people likely wouldn't of gotten jack! the only reason MS did something was to save face in the end and get good PR.

But this opens a large can of worms for many other people who's home town wasnt on the list, heck i could of thrown a party at work in our conference room, i did check the application, but nope, costa rica wasnt listed...

If I am not mistaken, there wasn't much chance of this hitting the news before MS responded, so your theory of just trying to get good PR doesn't seem to equate. If by getting good PR you mean, they successfully avoided a nasty public outcry by providing excellent customer service that is above and beyond what should be expected than yes. According to the blogger the situation went down like this:

I was livid, every other region of the world was being represented here except for the Caribbean. Finding this to be a touch xenophobic I made a concerted effort to contact various folk at Microsoft (thanks The Consumerist!) to express my opinion and frustration. What happened next I could never have expected.

I received a reply via email the very next day.

A very courteous email arrived explaining reasons why the Caribbean region was not covered in the promotion. The official line was a mixed bag but was satisfactory although ultimately disappointing. I was not expecting to be graciously offered a USA Party Pack for gratis though! I submitted my delivery details as requested and sure enough today I received a giant box from Microsoft the contents of which you can see in my unboxing pictures below.

Meaning, he complained by e-mail to MS. The 'very' next day he received a solution that was above and beyond what would have been necessary. That is just plain good customer service on MS's part. I have heard many stories of excellent customer service by MS (and some not so good ones). But it seems I hear more good than bad. As much as people (including myself) might hate the way they do some of their business, or hate the bloated aspect of their software, or hate how it seems they corner the market and force us to pay a bunch for their products, they at least seem to care about the customers they have to the extent that they are able.

I am not saying MS is the end all or be all of customer service, just saying that I have heard enough good reports from "nobodies" (those without large media outlets and no way to publically humiliate or hurt MS) that it seems MS seems to care more than just about getting good PR.

If I am not mistaken, there wasn't much chance of this hitting the news before MS responded, so your theory of just trying to get good PR doesn't seem to equate. If by getting good PR you mean, they successfully avoided a nasty public outcry by providing excellent customer service that is above and beyond what should be expected than yes. According to the blogger the situation went down like this:

Meaning, he complained by e-mail to MS. The 'very' next day he received a solution that was above and beyond what would have been necessary. That is just plain good customer service on MS's part. I have heard many stories of excellent customer service by MS (and some not so good ones). But it seems I hear more good than bad. As much as people (including myself) might hate the way they do some of their business, or hate the bloated aspect of their software, or hate how it seems they corner the market and force us to pay a bunch for their products, they at least seem to care about the customers they have to the extent that they are able.

I am not saying MS is the end all or be all of customer service, just saying that I have heard enough good reports from "nobodies" (those without large media outlets and no way to publically humiliate or hurt MS) that it seems MS seems to care more than just about getting good PR.

Microsoft's support is second to none. That's the ultimate reason Microsoft is widely accepted in the business world. With countless thousands of support staffs and outside vendors with Microsoft Certified support, it's no wonder they're so successful penetrating the business sector despite their high prices.

A lot of people think it's games that's why Windows is so popular. That couldn't be further from the truth. It's their support.

This is my opinion by the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

The giant turtle is one of the twelve guardians of the dark tower.

I don't care what the frag those pics are based on, they all suck monkey nuts. If that was on my desktop, I'd stick red-hot pokers in my eyes.

Those pictures are a combo of eastern mythology and Beatles acid trip gone horribly wrong.

Those pictures are a combo of eastern mythology and Beatles acid trip gone horribly wrong.

My thoughts exactly when I first saw the desktop themes.

Drugs HAD to be involved in the creation of these,

My bad then, i thought i had seen on the blog that it was edited, as in the person had posted the story and then wrote that 2nd blog posted above explaining how MS had emailed them back and sent them the package, but the person had already posted about the matter and their anger about it.

I got my tracking number 2 days ago :D

glad to add another w7 copy, since I already have like 40 copies with my technet and the buch from that $29 student deal

can't beat spending $200 and getting 2 retail copies and 40 technet copies of W7

Back