Microsoft Patents Technology to Block Pirated Content

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Described as the first dealing with repeat offenders on cloud services, Microsoft has a new patent for flagging users who routinely upload and share objectionable content. Once identified, hosting providers may easily limit these users’ permissions or terminate their accounts altogether. I thought companies already had this kind of thing in place, since they obviously scan any and all files that are uploaded to their services.

Titled: “Disabling prohibited content and identifying repeat offenders in service provider storage systems,” the patent describes a system where copyright infringers, and those who publish other objectionable content, are flagged so that frequent offenders can be singled out. With an overview of the infringements, the hosting provider can choose to limit the sharing permissions of users, or terminate their accounts if warranted. “Incidents that result in objects being so marked can be stored in an incident history associated with a user responsible for those objects. The incident history can be processed to identify repeat offenders and modify access privileges of those users,” the patent reads.

upload_2017-5-6_10-27-2.png

Pirated (aka copyright infringing) Content is completely different from .... Objectionable Content. Who decides what is objectionable?

Time to break Microsoft up ... AGAIN ... into 5-6 companies, enough is enough.

I would not worry about this at all it is Microsoft after all , PR at best.

lol i got something crazy in my mind. stupid even. why can't people or other company "fork" windows just like some other company "fork" google android and make their own?

lol i got something crazy in my mind. stupid even. why can't people or other company "fork" windows just like some other company "fork" google android and make their own?

china does, but MS allows them access to the source code.

china does, but MS allows them access to the source code.

This was back in 2003 in an attempt to topple Linux, I'm not too sure it's still something MS does?

You have to understand that access to the source code was strictly monitored and Governments were not allowed to change, modify or redistribute anything - Effectively missing the point entirely as to the advantage of Linux in Government use. You can't fork a copyrighted, propitiatory product when you don't have access to the source code, the best you can hope for is a reverse engineered product like WINE.

Happy to say I'm also Windows free for over 12 months and have never had the slightest need/desire to switch back. This is a joke, waaaay outside the realms of what's acceptable in an operating system and Windows users should be concerned.

This is why I loathe "cloud" services. All it means is they have your data and can control it however they please. No thanks. I'll keep my data on my own freaking drive in my own freaking machine, and if they want it, they can come and get it, warrant in hand.

Simple just kick windows off your harddrive and replace with Linux problem solved LoL

starts with pirated content, moves to extremist, then innapropriate, followed by politically incorrect, and ending with Microsoft approved.
enjoy !

Waiting for Heatless to come in and tell us why we should lick mor MS boot.

This was back in 2003 in an attempt to topple Linux, I'm not too sure it's still something MS does?

You have to understand that access to the source code was strictly monitored and Governments were not allowed to change, modify or redistribute anything - Effectively missing the point entirely as to the advantage of Linux in Government use. You can't fork a copyrighted, propitiatory product when you don't have access to the source code, the best you can hope for is a reverse engineered product like WINE.

Happy to say I'm also Windows free for over 12 months and have never had the slightest need/desire to switch back. This is a joke, waaaay outside the realms of what's acceptable in an operating system and Windows users should be concerned.

it was more recent than that.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/does-m...e-with-china-and-russia-pose-a-security-risk/

Part of the company's Government Security Program (GSP), Microsoft has offered the Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) a peek inside the source code of Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2, Microsoft Office 2010 and Microsoft SQL Server.

and then from wikileaks

A State Department cable released by WikiLeaks says the Chinese government used Microsoft source code in its attacks on Google and in its cyber warfare efforts in general. (Via The Guardian)

How did they get their hands on Microsoft's closely guarded source code, you might ask?

Well, two Chinese IT security companies, Topsec and Cnitsec, are licensed to access and use Microsoft's source code. In yet another example of incredibly blurred lines between the government and business in China, those companies gave the source code to the government.

This is worrying on so many levels. China is very active in cyber warfare and Microsoft software powers 90% of the world's computers. With access to Microsoft source code, who knows how many computers are vulnerable to Chinese hackers?

http://www.businessinsider.com/wikileaks-china--microsoft-source-hack-google-2010-12

i didn't even know russia had access to MS source code.

They get a 'peek' in order to feel satisfied that MS isn't spying on them in a desperate attempt to secure a Government contract over Linux. The article doesn't state how long that 'peek' is or whether it's even the whole source code.

Described as the first dealing with repeat offenders on cloud services, Microsoft has a new patent for flagging users who routinely upload and share objectionable content. Once identified, hosting providers may easily limit these users’ permissions or terminate their accounts altogether. I thought companies already had this kind of thing in place, since they obviously scan any and all files that are uploaded to their services.

Titled: “Disabling prohibited content and identifying repeat offenders in service provider storage systems,” the patent describes a system where copyright infringers, and those who publish other objectionable content, are flagged so that frequent offenders can be singled out. With an overview of the infringements, the hosting provider can choose to limit the sharing permissions of users, or terminate their accounts if warranted. “Incidents that result in objects being so marked can be stored in an incident history associated with a user responsible for those objects. The incident history can be processed to identify repeat offenders and modify access privileges of those users,” the patent reads.
Who the hell would be stupid enough to file share on onedrive?

Who the hell would be stupid enough to file share on onedrive?
Plenty of people are stupid enough to put downloaded mp3s onto onedrive without stripping identifiable data and changing the hash. Sharing I've seen it in small circles nothing quite like a full on hosting site though.

Also, I have no sympathy for someone who takes something that is not free without paying for it. Then they end up having taken from them, bo freaking ho. :D

So, you remove a supposed problems so you can introduce other problems? Good idea. /s

Another generalisation.

I never introduced any other problems switching from Windows to Linux full time, no problems at all. In fact, in my experience it was all positives.

Also, I have no sympathy for someone who takes something that is not free without paying for it. Then they end up having taken from them, bo freaking ho. :D

So, right here, in this comment you're attempting to justify an invasion of privacy? Seriously? As obviously in order for this system to work Microsoft have to be spying. :rolleyes:

So, right here, in this comment you're attempting to justify an invasion of privacy? Seriously? As obviously in order for this system to work Microsoft have to be spying. :rolleyes:
Obviously you don't understand. Bend to their will or switch platforms.

I can only imagine what would have happened had Microsoft had the same install percentage on Xbox that they have on windows.

Ah, I am going to forget it, I will choose to respond how I will respond, you do not make me mad, LOL. :D How a person is is how they are going to be, I cannot change that, period. :) If someone chooses to misrepresent me, that is on them and no one else.

Oh, and this is about their cloud services, just like every other cloud service out there that is free. But hey, lets bend this thread to our will and not stick with the subject at hand, just like every other MS or Windows thread, right?

Last edited:
Obviously you don't understand. Bend to their will or switch platforms.

I can only imagine what would have happened had Microsoft had the same install percentage on Xbox that they have on windows.

Except that this has nothing to do with the OS platform, at all. As usual though, what does those pesky things called facts and common sense have anything to do with it, am I right? :D

Why should anyone worry about ubiquitous surveillance and zero privacy ? I mean if your not doing anything illegal why does it bother you ? /s

Oh, and this is about their cloud services, just like every other cloud service out there that is free. But hey, lets bend this thread to our will and not stick with the subject at hand, just like every other MS or Windows thread, right?

Last I checked their storage wasn't free... and even if you are using a 100% free option. I guess the cost is allowing MS to scan all your documents. I'm sure there is zero value in that data. lol

Except that this has nothing to do with the OS platform, at all. As usual though, what does those pesky things called facts and common sense have anything to do with it, am I right? :D
When they push one drive integration into the OS which they have been then it does have to do with the OS.

I'll make sure I spell that out a little better next time for the blind people. :woot:

When they push one drive integration into the OS which they have been then it does have to do with the OS.

I'll make sure I spell that out a little better next time for the blind people. :woot:

Nope but, nice try at spinning that.

Back