Microsoft Patent Reveals Xbox 3?

HardOCP News

[H] News
A number of you sent me this link to a patent filed by Microsoft for a gaming system that acts as a hub for other console devices such as dedicated handheld gaming systems, PDAs, cell phones and smart phones. Anyone willing to take a guess as to what it is?

A gaming system comprising at least one gaming component, each gaming component being capable of stand alone operation, each gaming component being capable of operating in combination with other gaming components, wherein gaming performance of each gaming component is augmented in accordance with functionality of other gaming component in combination therewith.

that patent reads like something out of beavis and butthead. "a tattoo of a butt on my butt!"

A number of you sent me this link to a patent filed by Microsoft for a gaming system that acts as a hub for other console devices such as dedicated handheld gaming systems, PDAs, cell phones and smart phones. Anyone willing to take a guess as to what it is?

I am going to take a wild guess... Yet another outrageously priced, useless piece of crap? :p

You know, after reading part of that, it just seems like they sat in a boardroom thinking up all possible future device combinations, then wrote it down and submitted it so that they could sue everybody later for trying to make anything new.

They should definitely get a prize for the most vague and wordy patent of the week. I couldn't finish reading it because my brain started to yawn and shut down after the 20th "therewith". :rolleyes:

I am going to take a wild guess... Yet another outrageously priced, useless piece of crap? :p

flame bait at its finest. can u get banned for stupidity?

I wonder what MS has up their sleeve. I have yet to purchase an xbox360, so maybe ill wait for this instead.

I wouldn't wait for anything...If they just now filled for a patent..its not likely its coming out in 3 years...at least.

I hope it will be more than 3 years before they try to jump to another console.

Well, they said they were not going to wait 5 years to release another full OS, like the gap between XP & Vista.

So to milk the console market I bet they might come out with * Xbox 360 V.2 Elite Premium System Gold Edition * ...:rolleyes:

sounds something like what they did with the PS3 (a la, super computer with joining of multiple PS3s), interesting but it doesn't seem like a "gaming system" more something like a cheap PC, but just a multitude of cheap PCs....but, its to early to tell anything...her

Xbox 360 II would be sweet, maybe they are starting the process of building/testing hardware. What is the timeframe for a new console from an idea to finish product 3-5 years?

xbxo came out in 2001 xbxo036 came out in 2005 if they follow that pattern bxox072 will be out around 2009 or 2010. But the oxbx sucked ass so that could be why they only gave it 4 years, were as the 3bxxo60 isn't nearly as bad as the xobx so they might play the smart card and give it tell 2012 to not screw the fans.

flame bait at its finest. can u get banned for stupidity?

I wonder what MS has up their sleeve. I have yet to purchase an xbox360, so maybe ill wait for this instead.

I'd say just ban the flamers! It would be really hard to take somebody seriously that would take a joke as a personal insult. :D

Anyway, I am willing to bet whatever this patent is for won't be on the shelves for another 3-5 years, and might not wind up being what it seems.

From what I figured out before my brain went into self-destruct mode, it's not a patent for a console. Rather, it's a patent for a system of networking several "would-be consoles" (cell phones, PDA's, STB's... anything with a processor and memory, and- optionally- a screen and speakers). It seems like they're describing a seamless redistribution of resources, in that your you'll be able to play PocketPC games through your XBox, or watch ReplayTV recordings on your cell phone.

xbxo came out in 2001 xbxo036 came out in 2005 if they follow that pattern bxox072 will be out around 2009 or 2010. But the oxbx sucked ass so that could be why they only gave it 4 years, were as the 3bxxo60 isn't nearly as bad as the xobx so they might play the smart card and give it tell 2012 to not screw the fans.
Did you do this on purpose? I counted six distinct spellings of "XBOX," not one of which was right... :confused:

From what I figured out before my brain went into self-destruct mode, it's not a patent for a console. Rather, it's a patent for a system of networking several "would-be consoles" (cell phones, PDA's, STB's... anything with a processor and memory, and- optionally- a screen and speakers). It seems like they're describing a seamless redistribution of resources, in that your you'll be able to play PocketPC games through your XBox, or watch ReplayTV recordings on your cell phone.

I was thinking that, or a conole that could draw from the processing power of external devices (or let the external devices draw from the processing power of it) but to essentially do the same things you are talking about.

I am just wondering if they are biting off more than they can chew with that concept, or if they are going to come out with a lot more gadgets designed specifically for this.. device.. It doesn't seem like it will be a console as much as it seems like some kind of uber-docking station.

LMAO...you did that intentionally right?

Patent looks to be of a handheld device, much like that of Sonys PSP patent :D

You all need to go to patent writing/reading school ;)

Sounds like they are planning to release a pc that is an xbox but is basically a pc now where you could do everything you want but on the tv but like web tv like a pc connected to the tv now. They are already putting xbox live on the pc also so i think they are going to combine the pc and console together soon lol. They are going to try to make the console upgradable and affordable pc like but in a cheaper form. They are trying to keep the games looking HD so they have to update the hardware to the highest in pc standards or else they would fall behind and the frame rates will drop so they are upgrading all the hardware and re-releasing a brandnew console in 2-3 years lol. Just a wild idea lol :D

Sounds like they are planning to release a pc that is an xbox but is basically a pc now where you could do everything you want but on the tv but like web tv like a pc connected to the tv now. They are already putting xbox live on the pc also so i think they are going to combine the pc and console together soon lol. They are going to try to make the console upgradable and affordable pc like but in a cheaper form. They are trying to keep the games looking HD so they have to update the hardware to the highest in pc standards or else they would fall behind and the frame rates will drop so they are upgrading all the hardware and re-releasing a brandnew console in 2-3 years lol. Just a wild idea lol :D

There have long been debates, that the PC and console gaming markets are soon going to merge, since the idea of a console is reaching its EOL... Though this is not entirely true and leaves a lot open for interpretation and opinion... The differences between both a gaming PC and a console, are much slimmer these days and the difference in performance is slim as well... Consoles may be a cheaper solution to beautiful HD gaming, but they are really just mass produced "custom" PCs... Hopefully if this was the new XBOX, it would be a sign of Microsoft showing early signs of adoption to the "end of console days" rumors...

Man, you people are dense.

This is a patent for a future deployment of a clustering technology for ANY devices. Arguably, since it's microsoft, they are talking about their devices, be it xbox, xbox360, xbox-mobile, zune, webTV, windows mobile equipped cell phone, media center equipped p.c, whichever.

Also, a gaming component is capable of utilizing another gaming component as an adjunct processor.

They are doing this as a pre-emptive strike so as to have a patent on the ability to do something that's not being done elsewhere. (i.e. nobody, as far as I know, has built that 5000 unit super computer PS3 that's in a beowulf-like cluster.. the millionaires that could afford to know there's cheaper ways to do it)

This is NOT about "Xbox3" this is about future capabilities of ANY microsoft compatible gaming device.

Now. Since microsoft (I'm guessing people are too blind to notice this) seems to be moving a little more "open" with cross-sharing (Hell, they own part of a *Nix now) and they can sync an xbox with an iPOD, and zune's share music, I'd venture to guess that they are even working on a way to make a PSP, or DSlite, or Wii part of their "processing cluster"

Isn't this exactly what sony is already doing with the ps3 and psp?

FYI, nobody has made a 5000 unit ps3 cluster (unless you consider f@h), but there are a few 6-10 unit clusters...

I wouldn't be suprised if we saw a new Xbox console at the end of 09.

This isn't a new console, this just seems like a CYA approach for future endeavors.

The mumbo jumbo makes my head hurt, so I didn't read it all. But it sounds more to me like they have just patented the Nintendo Wii than any possible future product they might have in the works. Those kinds of integrations are already super huge in Japan, and I'm alost possitive I saw an announcment that said Nintendo is going to incorporate the DS and Wii for some game play. Can't remember where though.

With the huge success of both their handheld and their console right now, I really wouldn't be all that surprised if we saw a Nintendo phone in the future with all that extra R & D money they have now.

Pure speculation of course.

The mumbo jumbo makes my head hurt, so I didn't read it all. But it sounds more to me like they have just patented the Nintendo Wii than any possible future product they might have in the works. Those kinds of integrations are already super huge in Japan, and I'm alost possitive I saw an announcment that said Nintendo is going to incorporate the DS and Wii for some game play. Can't remember where though.

With the huge success of both their handheld and their console right now, I really wouldn't be all that surprised if we saw a Nintendo phone in the future with all that extra R & D money they have now.

Pure speculation of course.

Uh.. You do realize this is a posting about microsoft, right?

Ockie said:
This isn't a new console, this just seems like a CYA approach for future endeavors.
See above. That point was made by me already :)

bobzdar said:
Isn't this exactly what sony is already doing with the ps3 and psp?
And Xbox360s + media extenders + Windows Media Center machines.. Already have "distributed" resources.

FYI, nobody has made a 5000 unit ps3 cluster (unless you consider f@h), but there are a few 6-10 unit clusters...
Yeah, I know. How is f@h applicable? Or do you mean the D.C. fact that there might be 5000 total ps3's around the planet folding = a "cluster"
The point of a cluster is DIRECT interconnection. Like , you know.. in the same building and all?

This tech is NOT new. I ran a customized (reprogrammed) q-link based BBS off of 20 C-64's in parallel! 20+ years ago.

Man, you people are dense. blah, blah, blah

I could've sworn last week you said you have no use for the front page and never read the news or our reviews because they suck. Looking at your profile, over half the threads you've posted in are front page news threads.

Aren't you supposed to be hanging out in the non-suck part of the forums that do not force you to read the news or our terrible reviews?

I'm just saying this, yiou know...so you can avoid all of the "dense people" in the news forum.

I could've sworn last week you said you have no use for the front page and never read the news or our reviews because they suck. Looking at your profile, over half the threads you've posted in are front page news threads.

Aren't you supposed to be hanging out in the non-suck part of the forums that do not force you to read the news or our terrible reviews?

I'm just saying this, yiou know...so you can avoid all of the "dense people" in the news forum.

That link goes to another site that doesn't suck.
Guess you missed that part.
I clearly made mention of something to the effect that the only time I get to the front page is when I'm passing through onto another area, like an external link.
If you'd put the external links in THESE posts, I wouldn't have to double click.
I find the fact that you guys corral links to OTHER ARTICLES ON OTHER WEBSITES helpful. It's like you guys are a mini version of "digg" that centers on stuff I am interested in.

I mainly reply to NEWS, hotdeals, and FS threads. I mainly LURK the other threads (mobos, disk storage, etc)

I also clearly said that what I don't like about [H]ardOCP (not hardFORUM, remember, different thing in my mind) is your reviews. The news articles (which you don't write, but just link to) are interesting to me. It's like watching the news on tv because I want to find out what's going on in the world, but not wanting to hear what roger ebert, or gene shallit has to say, because their opinions are worthless, and biased.

As long as you keep reading the two dozen news posts a day like you do and then posting about them here...I'm happy to have you hate me. We appreciate the continued support! :)
Wait, what, for those banner impressions? Heh.. funny. It's odd cause my network configuration has most every 'net advertising agency blocked. Has nothing to do with [H], mind you.

Oh, and BTW..

It was 2 weeks ago, not last week

If it was a gratuitously overpriced piece of crap, that would be a sony. this patent was filed in 2005.. it sounds like their talking about a hand held xbox.. like a.. idunno.. "Xboxboy".

You know, after reading part of that, it just seems like they sat in a boardroom thinking up all possible future device combinations, then wrote it down and submitted it so that they could sue everybody later for trying to make anything new.

They should definitely get a prize for the most vague and wordy patent of the week. I couldn't finish reading it because my brain started to yawn and shut down after the 20th "therewith". :rolleyes:

Yeah, tha's what I was thinking. I mean how the hell did they get a patent for this. hmmm. Lets see. I have some wooden planks. 2 feet long, 6 inches wide & 2 inches thick. I will connect one to another along the longest side such that the form an upside down L. I will keep connecting 13 of them together & install them as a unit in my house, between the bottom & lower levels. Then I will walk up & down them to access said levels as I see fit. I patent stairs :rolleyes:

I mean good God, what the hell is going in wtih the Patent Office.

Man, you people are dense.

This is a patent for a future deployment of a clustering technology for ANY devices. Arguably, since it's microsoft, they are talking about their devices, be it xbox, xbox360, xbox-mobile, zune, webTV, windows mobile equipped cell phone, media center equipped p.c, whichever.

They are doing this as a pre-emptive strike so as to have a patent on the ability to do something that's not being done elsewhere. (i.e. nobody, as far as I know, has built that 5000 unit super computer PS3 that's in a beowulf-like cluster.. the millionaires that could afford to know there's cheaper ways to do it)

This is NOT about "Xbox3" this is about future capabilities of ANY microsoft compatible gaming device.

Now. Since microsoft (I'm guessing people are too blind to notice this) seems to be moving a little more "open" with cross-sharing (Hell, they own part of a *Nix now) and they can sync an xbox with an iPOD, and zune's share music, I'd venture to guess that they are even working on a way to make a PSP, or DSlite, or Wii part of their "processing cluster"

QFT

Back