Microsoft Only Sold 99 Xbox One Consoles Last Week In Japan

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Meanwhile, the 3DS and PS4 sold 30,172 and 25,592 units, respectively.

Yikes! Selling ninety-nine Xbox Ones is super grim. But seeing how the console’s launch was a disaster and how Microsoft has posted miserable Japan sales figures before, I can’t say I’m surprised. You probably aren’t, either.

Non Japanese consoles don't do well in japan never have probably never will.

None of the consoles are doing well in Japan. They are switching over to mobile gaming in a big way there.

No surprise there since Americans could not care less where their products they purchase come from. However, in Japan, from what I understand, they do care and will purchase only from Japanese companies.

None of the consoles are doing well in Japan. They are switching over to mobile gaming in a big way there.

PS4 is doing about as well as the PS2 there. They simply don't buy non-Japanese consoles. Likewise they don't play games on the PC. Even their big titles have historically not been on PC, or only ported later. The idea of porting their games over in large numbers is a new thing. No doubt it is because they need every sale possible with rising costs. I have a feeling Japanese only games will disappear in a few years.

Gee. The Japanese like their own stuff and not stuff from other cultures.

Shocker.

American companies and people are barbarians.

Heres the finger Japan, we'll watch Sony slowly die off

PS4 is doing about as well as the PS2 there. They simply don't buy non-Japanese consoles. Likewise they don't play games on the PC. Even their big titles have historically not been on PC, or only ported later. The idea of porting their games over in large numbers is a new thing. No doubt it is because they need every sale possible with rising costs. I have a feeling Japanese only games will disappear in a few years.

There are Japanese language only games on Steam. I played FFXIV on a Japanese server on the initial launch of the game. There were a lot more Japanese servers than servers for the rest of the world.

Microsoft Only Sold 99 Xbox One Consoles Last Week In _____________ <- Insert Name Here.

Not really surprised.
Wonder how the price of the PS4 in Japan is like?

Japan also doesn't buy into DLC much at all.
There are Japanese language only games on Steam. I played FFXIV on a Japanese server on the initial launch of the game. There were a lot more Japanese servers than servers for the rest of the world.
Handheld and consoles still outpace PC sales in japan by quite a bit doesn't mean it doesn't exist just means it's relatively small.

Why would Japan buy the XBox One when the PS4 is made locally, performs better and has a VR unit coming out in the near future?

I'm surprised they even tried. Xbox 360 sales were spectacularly poor and they spent millions on advertising and Japan-focused exclusive content. They didn't do that again for the Xbox One, so it's not surprising at all that it's doing poorly. I'm surprised they sold a single one.

I worked for a Japanese company here in the U.S. We made vehicle parts. I was pretty good friends with one of the execs of this small company, and I'd talk to him a lot about electronics. They are incredible cheapskates. Every time I mentioned buying a receiver or speakers for a few hundred he'd say it was too expensive. I would laugh all the time and say, "You guys are the ones making all this stuff yet y'all won't buy them."

Bill Gates will just make a new console and then higher all the Japanese game programmers.

Makes the XboxOne in pink and put a Hello Kitty sticker on it and then they will buy it.

I see Japanese players in BF4 NA servers in the wee hours of the morning quite often so they do play PC games.

I find it funny some of you are attributing the low numbers to a localization issue ( Japan ) and completely ignoring the fact all the negative issues with the Xbox One.

The sad thing is, Microsoft will absolutely do this again with their future consoles. They can't help it. It's not about the gamer, it's about their bottom line. They are already talking about their future plans in this space and they are back at it, talking about streaming, DLC, market space, store, multi-player, etc etc. I just read this somewhere. All I could think about was, why? Sure consoles can do all that but for once, FOR ONCE talk about higher hardware performance and games and more importantly gamers.

I personally hate Microsoft for these reasons and it makes me mad. Makes me mad because they are an American company and I want to love them. I want that warm fuzzy feeling about the hardware, the performance, the games.

Instead, you get that slimy feeling when dealing with the Xbox One, and I will go ahead and throw EA under the bus while I'm at it. You don't get to look forward to those things with Microsoft. Instead you get the 'oh crap, I have to deal with, higher prices, DLC, and less performance' 720 or 900p resolution. Basically, a lot less for a lot more and as I said, it's just this really discouraging slimy feeling you're left with.

I find it funny some of you are attributing the low numbers to a localization issue ( Japan ) and completely ignoring the fact all the negative issues with the Xbox One.

The sad thing is, Microsoft will absolutely do this again with their future consoles. They can't help it. It's not about the gamer, it's about their bottom line. They are already talking about their future plans in this space and they are back at it, talking about streaming, DLC, market space, store, multi-player, etc etc. I just read this somewhere. All I could think about was, why? Sure consoles can do all that but for once, FOR ONCE talk about higher hardware performance and games and more importantly gamers.

I personally hate Microsoft for these reasons and it makes me mad. Makes me mad because they are an American company and I want to love them. I want that warm fuzzy feeling about the hardware, the performance, the games.

Instead, you get that slimy feeling when dealing with the Xbox One, and I will go ahead and throw EA under the bus while I'm at it. You don't get to look forward to those things with Microsoft. Instead you get the 'oh crap, I have to deal with, higher prices, DLC, and less performance' 720 or 900p resolution. Basically, a lot less for a lot more and as I said, it's just this really discouraging slimy feeling you're left with.

Holy crap, it is a piece of gaming hardware and a multimedia device, not an emotional attachment. Seriously, you need to get outside more often. Non Japanese consoles are never going to be successful in the Japanese market, that is just the way it is. Of course, are one that expected 4K gaming capability for less than $299 when you have to spend at least $1500 on a computer for that?

Also, even at 1080p 60fps, that was not going to happen at $299 nor $399 either. And no, it is not reasonable to expect Microsoft to take a hit on every sale otherwise, they should have come out at $250 and twice the performance of the PS4 and simply eliminate Sony from the market. Oh well, I guess emotions get the best of us sometimes.

I guess you never took economics 101 where you learn about purchases that consumers make are largely 'emotionally driven'

And the only one that emotions have got the best of was Microsoft lol. Cause Microsoft only sold 99 Xbox Ones in Japan .......... hhahaha

At the end of the day, no matter how you or others try and spin it ... repeat this with me ... 99 Xbox Ones .. take one down, pass it around 99 Xbox Ones on the wall hahah

Well in this is, it probably IS mostly a localization thing. But yeah, it's not brought up because when people endure enough anti-consumer practices, it starts to look normal.

Makes the XboxOne in pink and put a Hello Kitty sticker on it and then they will buy it.

I see Japanese players in BF4 NA servers in the wee hours of the morning quite often so they do play PC games.

They need cute Windoos-chan mascot in white and cyan clothing too.

No surprise there since Americans could not care less where their products they purchase come from. However, in Japan, from what I understand, they do care and will purchase only from Japanese companies.

I remember this from the original xbox launch as well. There must be some companies that have made headway in the country, but game companies are not one of them.

It kind of speaks well of the US that we really don't care where something has come from, just that it's good for the money. And it speaks less well of Japan that they seem to have xenophobic attitudes when it comes to foreign products.

On a related story Japanese consoles sold really poorly on the western market.

On a related story Japanese consoles sold really poorly on the western market.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Really?

PS2= Japanese; Wii= Japanese; PS3; PS4; NES; SNES; SEGA Genesis, PS1, heck pretty much any major console other than the Jaguar and the Xbox has been japanese.

BTW The XB1 is only doing ok in the USA, in UK it is a more distant second than in the USA, and in the rest of the world it is far back enough to be at roughly half the total units sold vs the PS4 (Worldwide numbers).

By xbox i am including the 3 consoles of the xbox lines (can't edit posts in the news section of Hard forums).

I guess you never took economics 101 where you learn about purchases that consumers make are largely 'emotionally driven'

And the only one that emotions have got the best of was Microsoft lol. Cause Microsoft only sold 99 Xbox Ones in Japan .......... hhahaha

At the end of the day, no matter how you or others try and spin it ... repeat this with me ... 99 Xbox Ones .. take one down, pass it around 99 Xbox Ones on the wall hahah

So what, we know how many they sold and we know why, you were the one who claimed otherwise. *Shrug* You interjected emotionalism into this thread for what is essentially just a piece of gaming hardware with multimedia functionality. What others do outside of here was not the point but I am sure you are aware of that.

You appeared to be greatly affected by the news and tried to claim something that was not so. Well you are getting yourself a good laugh at your own expense, I am enjoying my XBox One that I physically own and have for the last 2 years. Now who has the issues?

Back