Microsoft Makes Final Push to Rid World of Internet Explorer 10

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

Microsoft is attempting to terminate Internet Explorer 10 by January 2020. "After this, we will not release any security or non-security updates, free or paid assisted support options, or online technical content changes for IE10.” Users are advised to switch to IE11, which will be available for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard for the first time later this year.

Microsoft assures customers that IE10 will continue to get updates through the Windows Update Catalog and WSUS as a 'Cumulative Update for Internet Explorer 10'. The browser will also continue to get updates in the Monthly Rollup. Microsoft also notes that IE11 for Windows Server 2012 and Windows Embedded 8 Standard will only be available in the 'classic' desktop IE experience, meaning the tiled experience will not be supported for these versions of Windows.

Frobozz likes this.
  2. auntjemima

auntjemima [H]ardness Supreme

Lol... I thought this must be an old post or something. I had no idea IE10 was still hanging around

dgz likes this.
  3. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Never knew IE went that high.

4. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

Is there an IE11?

auntjemima likes this.
  5. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes, unfortunately. They're still developing "web apps" where I work that are only compatible with IE11.

nEo717 and Burticus like this.
  6. stephen2002

stephen2002 Limp Gawd

Can they kill IE11 while they are at it? All of the modern web applications I build at work have IE11 as the officially supported browser and it makes me sad.

7. shpankey

shpankey Limp Gawd

IE 11 can do so many little things at work that Chrome and FF can’t that everyone I know still uses it. Our web apps are all integrated with it, not to mention Office. It’s not going anywhere until the new Chrome-Edge comes out, at least.

8. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Yeah half of the financial websites in the world would break overnight if MS killed off IE completely.

9. Paul_Johnson

Paul_Johnson [H] Admin Staff Member

So they will start to push Edge then around 2030?

10. auntjemima

IE11 was around waaaaayyyyyy back in Windows 7. You guys are cute.

Red Falcon and MavericK like this.
  11. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

You will never destroy Internet Explorer.....it always finds a way, you know it in your heart.

Waveforme likes this.
  12. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

My Windows 7 has IE8.

Better known as the software used for downloading Chrome.

13. auntjemima

If you run Windows updates you would have had it years ago.

Edit: I use Chrome as well, but I used IE11 for years before hand.

14. Skillz

Skillz [H]ard DCOTY 2017

I do run Windows Update.

...for the important updates.

15. seanreisk

seanreisk Gawd

Oh, if I had a time machine, I would go back in time ... Not one hundred years, not one thousand years, not even one million years. I'd go back about 23 years, and kill everyone that would be assigned to the IE 6 project. And I'd salt their bodies, and melt their computers, and erase them from their college yearbooks. Then I would visit Bill Gates, and show him the future that would be created if IE 6 is let loose on the world, and he'd give me a few million dollars which I would invest in Amazon.

illli likes this.
  16. gdonovan

gdonovan [H]ard|Gawd

I was just on the forum 2 days ago testing a vintage rig.. with IE6.

Still displays fairly well.

auntjemima likes this.
  17. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

Now if they would just do the same for Win 10.

18. tordogs

tordogs Limp Gawd

Still use IE11 lot and enjoy it--some things don't work right but open them in Firefox. Have always liked being able to drag a website down and pin it to the taskbar as Windows is intended to work. No browser-fu here--can that be done with any other browser in a simple fashion like it is on IE?

Well, maybe with Edge but that never opens on this computer. Blocked, banned and the folder has been renamed so even Windows can't find it--at least for now. Still get a right-click option to "Open with Microsoft Edge". Wish I could find the registry entry to remove that option. Anybody know?

19. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

Sigh. I foresee more calls from my in-laws and their AOL Online...

20. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

Can't they just get rid of all versions of IE? Seems like that would be more productive

21. Ripskin

Ripskin 2[H]4U

Would break more than half of the worlds corporations :eek:

I think it was late 2017 where I work FINALLY wiped 9 off of all of their systems. 10 is still on a few systems but mostly isolated terminal servers. 11 is mostly used now.
    Nothing else works as well with proprietary apps and certain Microsoft stuff.

shpankey likes this.
  22. blandead

blandead Limp Gawd

IE and activex is still the only browser that will self install most vendors ssl-vpn in one click, also it works better in rd app portals, if you need legacy java /silverlight plugin support or view websites with older ciphers (tls 1 / ssl 3) than IE11 is convenient

It's definitely not going anywhere

Too bad edge sucks and not a real IE11 successor

23. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

And force the corporations to update their antiquated software?? Can't have that.

24. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

Time for a new job

25. steakman1971

steakman1971 2[H]4U

Same here. We have certain software that only works with IE. In our case, it's third party. The company is very niche and there is no competitors. (I'd normally jump in and say a competitor could rise, but this is a specialized market and I doubt the risk/reward is there)

26. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

To what end?

27. gdonovan

gdonovan [H]ard|Gawd

Why? If the current software does the job and does it well why should they change it for some arbitrary reason?

I work in healthcare and shudder at the thought. Just changing one piece of software can have a ripple effect that screws 5-6 other departments and hoses other software that hooks into the data generated by the first program.

And if the software doesn't work right, you don't get paid by the insurers, state and federal depts.

Don't screw with the software unless you have no choice. Margins are thin as it is.

GoldenTiger and Paul_Johnson like this.
  28. Ripskin

Ripskin 2[H]4U

Not sure what your angle is on this. I would love for some of this to get updated but things cost money, and after a healthy investment in something most companies need to see an ROI. To replace something it must typically do everything the previous could, except better with more features.

Forcing rushed code is never a good idea. There are a lot of government systems, medical systems and more that operate on ridiculously old hardware and software because at this time their is either nothing good enough to replace the functioning tools or the investment would be too large at the moment.

I recall a client using a 26 to 30 year old Unix system before it finally got replaced. Took over a year after full implementation to get the software working properly. 3 years to develop 1 year to deploy and 1 year of patching and tweaking. Thats a lot of money. Sure DATs and service techs who could work on the system were getting sparse and hard to integrate with modern tech but the old system just worked.

My parents use Family History software based on DOS. I think the last version to release was for Windows 98 SE. They cant work Windows consistently as an OS but this ancient DOS software works and they know it inside and out so it gets carried forward every time I update their system.

Forcing people to upgrade is working out so well for Windows 10 right now.
    Your comment sounds like you are having a bad day and misread the context in my post :)

GoldenTiger likes this.
  29. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

Guys, relax. Its called sarcasm. I'm having a little chuckle at how so many companies avoid upgrading software to a point where its a problem. 8 years ago I did some engineering work for a company that had never used 3d modeler cad software. I had to teach them from the ground up when they got a contract that required this.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  30. gdonovan

gdonovan [H]ard|Gawd

I have run across a number of people (on this forum too) who insist you have to have the latest and greatest software even if you have zero problems with what you are currently utilizing and it gets the job done in a tidy manner.

And they are dead serious about it.

Paul_Johnson and GoldenTiger like this.
  31. Guarana [BAWLS]

Guarana [BAWLS] [H]ard|Gawd

don't try to joke.

The State gov't here is still working on upgrading systems they run so they're not using Citrix software from ~2008 to run their shit anymore. It's so bad, I actually had to image a laptop for a user specifically to connect to it, as up to date software can't talk to it, because it's so old.

32. shpankey

shpankey Limp Gawd

our company literally just now finally upgraded from Citrix.

it’s true, corp america workforce is all using IE

33. dugn

dugn Limp Gawd

The real headline I hope to see:

Microsoft Makes Final Push to Rid World of Windows 10

34. ZodaEX

ZodaEX 2[H]4U

Whay O.S. was the laptop running?

35. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

Why? It's the best windows ever objectively.

36. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

You didn't use the sarcasm font, so many might think you're saying that Win10 is actually better in some way. Data-mining, unpaid-user-as-tester and broken updates are not objectively, 'best' features.

dugn likes this.
  37. gdonovan

gdonovan [H]ard|Gawd

I'm getting old, so far the Windows 2000/Windows XP/Windows 7 interfaces work for me. My wife has Windows 8 on her laptop and I spent hours ripping stuff out till it was to her liking and tiles still like to intrude. She hates it.

Slowly making the transition to Ubuntu, I have no interest in newer Windows versions.

dugn likes this.
  38. nEo717

nEo717 Limp Gawd

39. shpankey

shpankey Limp Gawd