Microsoft Issues Warning For 50M Windows 10 Users

naib

[H]ard|Gawd
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...ndows-10-upgrade-vpn-warning-upgrade-windows/

Spotted by the always excellent Windows Latest, Microsoft has told tens of millions of Windows 10 users that the latest KB4501375 update may break the platform’s Remote Access Connection Manager (RASMAN). And this can have serious repercussions.

The big one is VPNs. RASMAN handles how Windows 10 connects to the internet and it is a core background task for VPN services to function normally. Given the astonishing growth in VPN usage for everything from online privacy and important work tasks to unlocking Netflix and YouTube libraries, this has the potential to impact heavily on how you use your computer.

Untitled.png

*Yawn* Gee, Forbes Gordon once again, wonder what his agenda is, since he is always a mountain molehill sort of guy.

just checked my Win Update & Security in settings ... there it was, a patch KB4502584

The article's author primarily writes about cell phones. Why should I care about his sensationalism about Windows? He also loves the taste of Apple's cock, apparently.

View attachment 172664

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/#65a1700a4200

Forbes is mostly all "Guest" writers when it comes to their content. You will find one post from a guest writer saying something is garbage, and another by a different guest writer extolling its' virtues... You gotta take it all with a grain of salt.

Holy smokes Windows is far from perfect but damn, I hate misinformation. Instead of spreading misinformation they could spend time giving context to facts or report real issues.

Article said:
Anyway, here's the tl;dr: Microsoft, as part of its normal update schedule, published a cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1903. As part of the update, it published an article documenting the quality fixes in that update as well as one "known issue" that affects a small number of corporate customers with nonstandard client configurations.

That known issue occurs on a Windows 10 PC running version 1903 when two conditions are present:

First, the diagnostic data level setting is manually configured to the non-default setting of 0. For those who don't understand how unusual that configuration is, note that it applies only to Windows 10 Enterprise and that it can be set only using Group Policy on corporate networks or by manually editing the registry.

You can't accidentally enable this setting. And you can't deliberately set it on a system running Windows 10 Home or Pro, because it is for Enterprise edition only.

Second, the bug occurs only when a VPN profile is configured as an Always On VPN (AOVPN) connection. That's a specific form of virtual private network (VPN) access that was introduced with Windows Server 2016 and requires a tremendous amount of network configuration to enable. You can read the gory details here: Remote Access Always On VPN.

But unless you're a Windows Server 2016 sysadmin, it might not make sense. And as one commenter observed below, "I think I'd rather be beaten to death by my own keyboard than have to set up AOVPN."

(As an aside, the caption on the generic art illustrating the Forbes post reads, "Windows 10 users have been exposed to a worrying new vulnerability." This is not a vulnerability. It's a bug.)

Anyway, all that is prelude to Gordon's threatdown:

"The big one is VPNs. RASMAN handles how Windows 10 connects to the internet and it is a core background task for VPN services to function normally. Given the astonishing growth in VPN usage for everything from online privacy and important work tasks to unlocking Netflix and YouTube libraries, this has the potential to impact heavily on how you use your computer."

Oh my oh my oh my. Where do we even begin?

First things first: Rasman is not "how Windows 10 connects to the internet" unless you are trapped in a Stranger Things episode and forced to use a dial-up modem (because it's 1985) or you are, as I mentioned earlier, a sysadmin deploying a pretty unusual new VPN configuration as you migrate from DirectAccess.

For the other 99.785% of us, Rasman represents Windows code that never gets used. Ever.

Not the first time I have found bullshit on "Forbes"... website has a "rich" sounding name but not trustworthy or fact-checked in the slightest. It's just a dumping ground for shit half the time...

Last edited:
Forbes is mostly all "Guest" writers when it comes to their content. You will find one post from a guest writer saying something is garbage, and another by a different guest writer extolling its' virtues... You gotta take it all with a grain of salt.

I would say the exact same thing about life in general. Just had to say it.

ZDNET said:
But the best part of Mr. Kelly's post, by far, was this excerpt, which made me laugh so loud I think I scared my dog.
Microsoft has listed a complex workaround, but no timeframe has been announced for an actual fix.

Ladies and gentlemen, the article that Gordon Kelly was TOO AFRAID TO LINK TO says this:
We are working on a resolution and estimate a solution will be available in late July.

That's, uh, a couple weeks from today.

I LOL when I read the blue line. That's really bad. It also has me rethinking reading this thing when the guy talks about IOS issues.

Hogging 99% of my internet with telemetry and forced updates. I know it's Win10 because if I use shut up 10 then the issue goes away. I just have to tell win 10 to SHUT UP, hence I can't "leave her alone" lol. :)

I've experienced this. How an updater can suck so much internet and still take so long is mind boggling.

Hogging 99% of my internet with telemetry and forced updates. I know it's Win10 because if I use shut up 10 then the issue goes away. I just have to tell win 10 to SHUT UP, hence I can't "leave her alone" lol. :)

hopefully us few that stuck w/ win7 can keep it alive for a few more years like we did w/ XP..? now is time to join the win7 alliance. F**K WIN10!!!!

better hurry tho, they are trying to burry win7 in FEB 2020. PLEASE people... lets not let this happen. stand up for your right to control your own destiny/updates/OS version.

Lets show them who is in control. and hopefully that won't be the government/Microsoft.

hopefully us few that stuck w/ win7 can keep it alive for a few more years like we did w/ XP..? now is time to join the win7 alliance. F**K WIN10!!!!
No one cares. This is just click bait of an article as most are about windows 10. Win7 is outdated and soon to be even less secure. Move on. Win10 is great. Come on in, the waters are hot!

After I experienced the catastrophe that Windows 8 and 10 were, I bought plenty of Windows 7 licenses. I'm glad Ryzen 3000 are still compatible.

Back