Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

so i discovered something interesting yesterday. MSFS gets confused if your refresh rate is an "unusual" one like 165hz (my display.) i set desktop refresh to 120hz and suddenly the frame pacing issues i've always had with this sim are much reduced. in fact, i found that if i set 120hz and then set the "fps cap" in the in-game settings (which is not really an fps cap but a full, 1/2, 1/3, vsync setting.. a practice that makes no sense and appears in many other games) to 20 fps (which at 120hz really means 40 fps) AND set the visual quality settings so i can maintain a minimum of 40 fps, the game is actually quite fluid. i even flew around LAX in the 747 and it was, for the most part, completely fluid.

developers please take note that not all displays are either 60hz or 120hz... grrrr.

so i discovered something interesting yesterday. MSFS gets confused if your refresh rate is an "unusual" one like 165hz (my display.) i set desktop refresh to 120hz and suddenly the frame pacing issues i've always had with this sim are much reduced. in fact, i found that if i set 120hz and then set the "fps cap" in the in-game settings (which is not really an fps cap but a full, 1/2, 1/3, vsync setting.. a practice that makes no sense and appears in many other games) to 20 fps (which at 120hz really means 40 fps) AND set the visual quality settings so i can maintain a minimum of 40 fps, the game is actually quite fluid. i even flew around LAX in the 747 and it was, for the most part, completely fluid.

developers please take note that not all displays are either 60hz or 120hz... grrrr.
I'm going to try this. I've been having all kinds of issues but I'm also running Windows 11 with VBS enabled. The latest WU helped with the constant freezing I was getting but now I'm getting this weird issue with frame rates and audio glitching when those frame studders occur.

Don't bother with vr it's a mess right now. Sometimes it works poorly other times not at all or controls issues ,mouse pointer issues ,pov issues...... kinda disappointed but maybe they'll fix it someday.

Don't bother with vr it's a mess right now. Sometimes it works poorly other times not at all or controls issues ,mouse pointer issues ,pov issues...... kinda disappointed but maybe they'll fix it someday.
That's how I've approached this game from the start. I figure things will get ironed out eventually.

VR on release worked fairly well for me and I really enjoyed it, ever since its been broken for me in one way or another.

Well i tried fiddling with some driver settings to try and get rid of the stuttering in VR and stumbled across enhanced synch. So tried it thinking maybe it'll help and wow like 50% reduction of the stutterfest even in NYC at low level. I don't really know why since I don't think HMD's support it but my monitor does. Hmmm related to monitor refresh rate like colonel sanders post above?

Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting free Top Gun DLC this year

Microsoft Flight Simulator is finally getting its Top Gun: Maverick tie-in expansion this month...the Top Gun content was originally supposed to launch back in 2021, but as the movie was delayed, so was the DLC...well, Top Gun: Maverick is now hitting movie theaters later this month, so that means it’s time for Flight Sim players to enter the Danger Zone...

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1523740654421086208

I'm downloading it, but honestly I won't have time for a while. Since the PMDG 737-700 was released I'm in full-on learning mode. AMAZING in VR Favorite still is the Cessna 337 Skymaster, then the Waco WMF5 followed by the Mooney
737cockpit.jpg

Yeah, and I am helping an old retired guy update and have installed and uninstalled a handful of times but the updates seems broken. My record in the last few days is 10% updated before freezing.

Failing spinner? would be my guess unless his hard drive is modern. Use a bootable drive test utility to sector test it.

Nope- game on M.2, download folders now on a separate SATA SSD. But now that I think of it, I'll try both on the same drive just in case.

Oh- second gen Ryzen, and a 1070, has no problem with FSX and didn't with the MS2020 originally. It locked up downloading the mandatory updates (I believe the most recent patch, he's terrible about that).

Yeah, and I am helping an old retired guy update and have installed and uninstalled a handful of times but the updates seems broken. My record in the last few days is 10% updated before freezing.
I had that problem too...

I cant remember what I finally did to fix it. It is some glitch in the installer. Maybe try resetting the app in the programs spot.

Thanks, I keep seeing stuff for troubleshooting the install, but it seems to have installed fine. It's the update that fails after starting the program (but I did wipe it twice and start over).

I had weird issues before with an out of date driver. Thankfully its only hosed me once. This update does have some issues as my game will either hard crash to the desktop, or at some point my FPS will tank to 1 - 4 FPS. Really blows when that happens on final approach during a multi hour flight /cry.

The latest sim update fixed all my vr issues and finally boosted vr performance and clarity to better than ever levels. I hope the next patch doesn't break it again.

The latest sim update fixed all my vr issues and finally boosted vr performance and clarity to better than ever levels. I hope the next patch doesn't break it again.

Nice, been several updates since I last tried because it got so bad. Was fun at launch, buggy but quite enjoyable.

Microsoft Flight Simulator- 40th Anniversary Announcement

The UNSC Pelican from the Halo franchise is coming to Microsoft Flight Simulator...it’s the first officially licensed fictional craft to be added to the game...

Any suggestions on how to improve performance in this game that isn't turning every setting to low? Would think a new PC that is better in every category would have been able to improve the playability of the game but I feel its worse. Not sure what settings I was playing with my old PC but game has insane stutter 20-60 FPS and barely uses my CPU or GPU. CPU avg usage seems to be 15-25% and GPU sits around 50-60% which seems weird.

How much ram do you have? I know I needed about 32 gigabytes of ram when I ran the game at release.

Bad drivers or something else? My older much less powerful PC with medium high settings spanning my 3 monitor setup is typically at 15 to 25 on the ground and 25 to 35 at reasonable altitude and 40 to 60 high altitude or better. No real studder or issues unless the airport is crazy and crowded (ATL and a few others). Even with weather effects happening I rarely have issues. I do randomly get FPS bugs where I drop to 2 to 8 and the game is an unplayable slide show. Restarting the flight fixes it.

Im not happy that a realistic simulator is adding completely fabricated imaginary ships from video games.
Im not sure why, but I dont like it. It seems wrong.

Flight simulator? They always had goofy stuff in there like the old combat simulator with 2d mountains and a flat black airstrip for you to bomb in the 90's where the enemy was a black biplane that flew by slew lol.

Mods and adjustments are nothing new allowing players to do all sorts of stuff in the game. The Top Gun stuff is DLC you don't have to claim. Like the world upgrade packs and other free content available in the store. I think having it much easier to get is a good thing for those who want it. Though their in house solution is still a clunky mess vs steam and other platforms its a step in the right direction.

Back