Microsoft Experimenting With Free Version Of Windows 8.1

You can get tablet/convertible PCs which make those trade-offs. Battery life isn't as good, and would only get worse with a rotating HDD installed. Price is higher too.

I'm not sure those are specs many people want.

All pretty much completely true and that's probably why I'm not really interested in buying new stuff right now. First it was glossy yuck-o finger print laptops and now there's all these tablets with solid state storage. I'll just get another super cheap used business laptop when my D620 stops working or just forget about it and use my netbook.

Wonder what the EU courts has to say about this, like with Win7 and IE story.

Will it be US only perhaps ?

All pretty much completely true and that's probably why I'm not really interested in buying new stuff right now. First it was glossy yuck-o finger print laptops and now there's all these tablets with solid state storage. I'll just get another super cheap used business laptop when my D620 stops working or just forget about it and use my netbook.

I've had 3 netbook class machines pre-Windows 8 and they suck compared to a Venue 8 Pro. Far heavier and slower with more heat, noise, crappy 1024x600 resolution and battery life. There's always tradeoffs going on and if you want to carry around a lot of data constantly that you'll never use in a typical day that's fine or be tied to a device that has to have a keyboard, that's fine. Just understand that you're tied to a much heavier, lower resolution, less battery efficient device that has to be used with a keyboard.

Wonder what the EU courts has to say about this, like with Win7 and IE story.

Will it be US only perhaps ?

Not sure what the status is of Microsoft's anti-trust issues are in the EU, but for a company that has little presence in mobile, it's going to be a tough slog for the regulators if that have an issue with this. Microsoft can present a mountain of evidence from the biggest Microsoft haters on the planet that now proclaim Linux to be by far the biggest OS in the world.

I've had 3 netbook class machines pre-Windows 8 and they suck compared to a Venue 8 Pro. Far heavier and slower with more heat, noise, crappy 1024x600 resolution and battery life. There's always tradeoffs going on and if you want to carry around a lot of data constantly that you'll never use in a typical day that's fine or be tied to a device that has to have a keyboard, that's fine. Just understand that you're tied to a much heavier, lower resolution, less battery efficient device that has to be used with a keyboard.

To display text, the resolution doesn't matter. My netbook gets about 6 hours of battery life with wifi on, music playing, and a book being written. The Latitude 2100 is made from rubberized mega thick plastic, designed for school kids so its super sturdy. It doesn't get hot and only the bottom feels a little warm to the touch when its sitting on my lap, but its a comfy warm kinda like a nice fuzzy kitty. Since air vents are on the front, it's veeery lap friendly and works well on a bed too. The screen holds itself up and I can't write a novel with an on screen keyboard (tried it with an android tablet and it was just not efficient at all) or enter text as quickly using a pen-based device that does character recognition.

When you become a novelist, lemme know how writing a book on a tablet without a keyboard works or how much the extra performance matters in a word processor. Also...1 TB of hard drive space is really nice since every tiny little piece of information I could possibly want exists on my computer so I don't need a connection to anyplace or a bunch of stray storage devices to have the things I want to have.

Your stuff works for you and your usage model is your own. There's no need to push it on me or try to sell the advantages. If I wanted a tablet, I'd go buy one. I don't because I have something that is very fitting for the role I need a computer to fill in my life. Since my life isn't yours, you can take your tablet and enjoy it, but don't expect anyone else to have the same desires or needs.

Your stuff works for you and your usage model is your own. There's no need to push it on me or try to sell the advantages.

I'm not trying to push or sell advantages of anything, it's just that you're describing things in such a nonsensical manner that I just add my two cents worth. My usage model with Windows is broad, touch, keyboard and mouse and pen daily. All have purpose and work effectively in certain situations and none work effectively in all situations.

I'm not trying to push or sell advantages of anything, it's just that you're describing things in such a nonsensical manner that I just add my two cents worth. My usage model with Windows is broad, touch, keyboard and mouse and pen daily. All have purpose and work effectively in certain situations and none work effectively in all situations.

NOOOO! You're pushing and shoving and pulling and draaaaging! I can tell! Ooooh, I can tell!

My point is would a $50 price for Windows really make that big of a change in upgrade sales? Look at the ton of people that say that they are perfectly happy with Windows XP.

It sure as hell would not hurt them to try now would it?

As I said, nonsensical.

It'd make more sense to you if you wrote books, but not many people sit down at a computer with a goal of typing out 100-200k words. Well, either that our you're pretending to not understand so your insisting that something other than a keyboard should be important to me remains valid in your mind as a thing worth presenting. I'm gonna go with the latter of those since I've seen you play dumb before and I know you're not.

Back