Microsoft Edge Earns Top Spot in Browser Blocking Tests

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
In a test by Texas security firm NSS Labs, Edge blocked a higher percentage of phishing and socially engineered malware (SEM) attacks than Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox: Microsoft’s option automatically blocked 92% of all in-browser credential phishing attempts and stymied 100% of all SEM attacks. The latter encompassed a wide range of attacks, but their common characteristic was that they tried to trick users into downloading malicious code.

Edge bested Chrome and Firefox by decisive margins. For instance, Chrome blocked 74% of all phishing attacks, and 88% of SEM attacks. Meanwhile, Firefox came in third in both tests, stopping just 61% of the phishing attacks and 70% of all SEM attempts. The results were not surprising to anyone who has followed NSS's tests over the years: The firm has regularly awarded Microsoft browsers, notably the venerable Internet Explorer (IE), the top spots in its malware-blocking evaluations.

That's all fine and dandy, but I am still not compelled to use Edge.

I can see the anti-phishing being useful for people who are less knowledgeable about the various scamming tactics, however.

Does FF have an Adblocker installed or just vanilla?

Imagine if these vendors worked together to provide cross platform blocking. Let them compete on other features.

I don't think people would use it even if it was 2 times faster than everything else. Ran on 5MB of memory, and achieved these speeds on a Pentium II. Not even if it had 10million addons with all the best from every browser or any other possible ridiculous thing I can think of. Which says both a lot about people's inability to give a solid unbias relook at things (Hence our game industry and Call of Modern Battlefield 23453453535) and how fruitless it is for Microsoft to keep trying to fix this investment.

Last edited:
I'm using Edge now. Works well enough for browsing.

I like it better than chrome, but I occasionally find a site that Edge doesn't render correctly, and have to switch to Chrome to view it.

I may click the icon again to try it... I've read how fast it is... I've never seen anything but horrid page load times. I have 5 computers with win 10. Edge is by FAR the slowest of the big three on all of the machines. I've tried figuring out why, changed settings etc. Nothing seems to help. Edge is just painful to use.

Hey Edge that's great! Maybe your devs should put as much time and effort into blocking malicious javascript execution. I swear, whenever someone calls me and says their computer is locked up with an 800-number on the screen to a dude from India, 9 times out of 10 they're using Edge. Put them on Chrome/Firefox with Ublock and they never have an issue again.

Edge is fine regardless of how much hate it gets. It is just very basic in the feature set and that is why I don't use it.

Edge is fine regardless of how much hate it gets. It is just very basic in the feature set and that is why I don't use it.
The problem is that It still feels like IE and is just as clunky and mostly useless. Microsoft lost the browser war well over a decade ago.

I still can not use it for work.
Our parent company requires so many permissions to use their web portals that I have to use IE to fully access all tools required for our daily business.

I don't mind it, but I'm so tied up in the Google-verse at this point I don't feel motivated to swap. It's snappy and it seems to mostly work as well as Chrome when I have used it.

I almost wish they just called it Internet Explorer Next-Gen or something. Too many companies are stuck on using IE at all costs. The name might be a red flag for consumers, but I deal with a sea of companies that won't use anything else per their IT policy. Had Edge been an IE product, they'd all be better off. As it is, I don't think consumers know what it is and luddite companies won't touch it. Everyone loses.

Most these alternative browsers don't have bookmark sync. I mean, that is the MOST important feature of all. I don't understand how anyone can use a browser without it.
Hell, I used to use Google toolbar back in the day since that was the only way to get bookmark sync.

I use Opera. Still the best although the syncing is not instant all the time like it used to be. Their mobile version sucks but I can access the bookmarks if I need to.

Firefox is a great browser EXCEPT that bookmarks you mark on their mobile app are not synced to their desktop browser. Someone needs to be fired.

Chrome probably works almost as well as Opera but I don't use it.

I don't think people would use it even if it was 2 times faster than everything else. Ran on 5MB of memory, and achieved these speeds on a Pentium II. Not even if it had 10million addons with all the best from every browser or any other possible ridiculous thing I can think of. Which says both a lot about people's inability to give a solid unbias relook at things (Hence our game industry and Call of Modern Battlefield 23453453535) and how fruitless it is for Microsoft to keep trying to fix this investment.

Or we simply don't like the UI. Was it too hard to make it look like IE? Really, that's the only reason I don't like any other browsers. I don't care about resources a browser uses, add-ons, etc. I have enough resources and I don't use add-ons. Why I just keep using IE.

Don't see a car swapping the pedals around, getting rid of the steering wheel and replacing it with a control stick, or what have you. There's no need. Yet they like to do it with browsers/software for no reason.

Or we simply don't like the UI. Was it too hard to make it look like IE? Really, that's the only reason I don't like any other browsers. I don't care about resources a browser uses, add-ons, etc. I have enough resources and I don't use add-ons. Why I just keep using IE.

Don't see a car swapping the pedals around, getting rid of the steering wheel and replacing it with a control stick, or what have you. There's no need. Yet they like to do it with browsers/software for no reason.
A browser won’t kill someone if you swap the options menus with the bookmark tab.

Folks always say how much faster one browser is over another but I just don't tend to see it. I guess its cos I was used to seeing page loads in the minutes back in the very early 90's.

There used to be an indisputable difference in speed between FF and Chrome.

Don't know about IE as the only reason anyone uses that is because of outdated company intranets and Edge is just a mobile browser on the desktop.

I don't mind it, but I'm so tied up in the Google-verse at this point I don't feel motivated to swap. It's snappy and it seems to mostly work as well as Chrome when I have used it.

I almost wish they just called it Internet Explorer Next-Gen or something. Too many companies are stuck on using IE at all costs. The name might be a red flag for consumers, but I deal with a sea of companies that won't use anything else per their IT policy. Had Edge been an IE product, they'd all be better off. As it is, I don't think consumers know what it is and luddite companies won't touch it. Everyone loses.

Just recently our "company" started offering Chrome as a browser option, which blew me away. I never expected it to ever happen.

DND.

A browser won’t kill someone if you swap the options menus with the bookmark tab.

There's always a possibility though. The military has a lot of web-based things out there and it's possible that an swapping the options menu with a bookmark tab could risk lives. Not saying it does, but possible.

I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with anything in this regard. Mindshare is a powerful thing.

What's so special about the interface of IE that isn't present in any other browser? Personally I find the UI of IE so dated, it's like a cluttered room. Then we have Edge, with an interface that feels like the polar opposite of the spectrum, like a room...With a fridge, covered in magnetic letters and absolutely nothing else.

What's so special about the interface of IE that isn't present in any other browser? Personally I find the UI of IE so dated, it's like a cluttered room. Then we have Edge, with an interface that feels like the polar opposite of the spectrum, like a room...With a fridge, covered in magnetic letters and absolutely nothing else.

Years ago I switched to FF for a while after it was recommended and within 15 minutes I was tired of the cluttered look. I am sure if I spent more time with it I could get used to it, but I have never been a fan of that. If it doesn't appeal to me immediately then I do not see why I should push on in the hopes I "get used to it". I feel the same about Chrome.

How you can think IE is more cluttered than FF and Chrome, I will never know. Both of the latter are definitely bulkier.

There's nothing special about it. The built-in features are present in other browsers too. It's just that it's what you're use to. It'd be like telling someone to start using dvorak layout on the keyboard. It's the same keyboard, but you'll probably hate it, cause you aren't use to it. You can spend time and try to learn it or you can just stick to what you know.

I also don't see how IE looks cluttered. It's as cluttered as any other browser. IE 8 buttons. Firefox 9 buttons, Chrome 7 buttons. You can configure it to look cluttered if you want. Turn on menu bars, favorite bars, quick launch bars, status bars, etc. They're not on by default.

Back