Microsoft dissolves links between features and Windows 10 releases

HAL_404

[H]ard|Gawd
"The company this week made more changes to its Windows 10 development model, changes that have implications for future releases." ~ Computerworld Dec 20, 2019

the Article

It's more clear than ever that Microsoft is just going to shove whatever they want down our throats.

I've been mostly transitioned to Linux now since 2001. I keep Windows around for games and the occasional "this document doesn't edit right and I'll need actual Ms Word for it", but that's it.

If anything, I just want user control back. The ability to only have what we want installed, instead of being force fed Microsofts ecosystem and shovelware. Why on earth does my laptop need to have an Xbox app on it? It would be bad enough if it were just installed by default, but for the love of god, let me remove that shit, and not just in a user account, but globally so it doesn't get reinstalled every time I create a user.

1.) Here is all I'm asking for. Allow me to remove these from my machine. Not just from my user account, but globally from the entire system so that they never come back:
  • Alarms & Clock
  • Calendar
  • Camera
  • Cortana
  • Groove Music
  • Mail
  • Maps
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Movies & TV
  • One Drive
  • One Note
  • People
  • Photos
  • Store
  • Voice Recorder
  • Weather
  • Xbox
2.) Kill off and stop tying any features to online Microsoft accounts. Operating systems should have local accounts and local accounts only.

3.) Stop promoting and reinstalling stupid piece of shot software and/or games like candy crush with every upgrade. The only way an application should be installed on my machine is if I intentionally install it.

4.) By default the operating system should only access the internet if I tell it to. Nothing automated under the hood. If you want to add cloud features, that is fine, some people want that shit, but make them turn it on if they want it, don't force that shit on everyone. By default, unless I click on something that makes an intentional request from the outside world, my OS should NEVER be touching the WAN.

Simple. With these 4 changes Windows will be OK.

Makes me long for the days when OS Service Packs were a once every 2-4 year thing, Browsers updated every 2 years whether they needed it or not, and applications could go several years between major changes. Now everything just defaults to auto update without much or any warning or choice.

Now when something quits working or starts doing something weird, it can be a painful process to figure out what changed and when. Especially if the busted thing isn't used that often.

with this decoupling, which is going to see the biggest development? Microsoft makes more money from Linux on their Azures platform than they do from windows. Windows is being defocused by them. If they put all the effort into the frontend (instead of core) maybe just maybe a linux backend + linux core is on the roadmap

Back