Microsoft Details Its 24-Core 'Holographic Processor'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft's 24-core holographic processor sounds pretty impressive on paper. It will be interesting to see how well it performs under real-world usage. I don't know about you but I am extremely excited about HoloLens and augmented reality in general.

The HoloLens’ HPU is a custom 28nm coprocessor designed by TSMC, The Register reports. The chip packs 24 Tensilica digital signal processor (DSP) cores. As opposed to more general-purpose CPU cores, DSPs are a specialized technology designed for rapidly processing data flowing in from the world—a no doubt invaluable asset while rendering augmented reality environments in real time. Microsoft’s HPU also contains roughly 65 million logic gates, 8MB of SDRAM, and 1GB of traditional DDR3 RAM. It draws less than 10W of power, and features PCIe and standard serial interfaces.

This looks to be much more promising than the VR tech. Being able to actually see around you and have augmented reality imposed on/in the world seems to me to be better for personal safety. The price is kinda high but in a couple of years it might be more affordable if it catches on and useful software is available.

Right now this is a pretty niche market they are catering too, enthusiasts and a small subset of graphic designers and 3D modellers. In another 3-5 years I could see this becoming more mainstream and with that cheaper, I will be following where this goes because I could see it being super handy and fun for a variety of applications some of which I even use.

The fact that it's on 28nm means that there is a good chance they are already working on a die shrunk version of this chip. It's good news as they can start to play with that extra power to overcome some of the previous limitations based on power requirements.

This is expensive, but I could see my company buying some of these even at current prices.

If I was able to take my models/designs down to the shop floor and show the machinists and assembly guys what new designs/changes are being worked on, and they could see precisely how they fit into the existing design/surrounding parts in AR, it would be an absolute game changer. Spotting potential problems would become a matter of just looking closely in AR rather than taking a million measurements and comparing them to multiple CAD models. Plus, a machinist could see the final, machined state of a part superimposed over the metal block he's currently cutting and spot and correct issues that way as well.

WAY more excited for this technology than VR, and I'm glad MS is exploring new tech to make it successful.

If they can get the price down, I can see it being a hit "rental" item at museums to replace the standard voiceover rentals.

Ya know, so you can read the Wikipedia page about the exhibit....

This looks to be much more promising than the VR tech.

Not really. There's billions pouring into VR. But AR, on the other hand, nobody cares. MS can't get developers interested, and they don't seem interested in developing a killer app themselves. Not to mention the FOV on the Hololens is horrid and the mockup videos conceal the fact.

Not really. There's billions pouring into VR. But AR, on the other hand, nobody cares. MS can't get developers interested, and they don't seem interested in developing a killer app themselves. Not to mention the FOV on the Hololens is horrid and the mockup videos conceal the fact.
Ok..I guess I should say more promising TO ME. I have no interest in strapping on something that covers my whole vision. I really don't even want a hololens strapped to my head. I ACTAULLY want a tabletop hologram display that I can sit back and watch. But I understand that some things take baby steps and hopefully this is that step.

Ok..I guess I should say more promising TO ME. I have no interest in strapping on something that covers my whole vision. I really don't even want a hololens strapped to my head. I ACTAULLY want a tabletop hologram display that I can sit back and watch. But I understand that some things take baby steps and hopefully this is that step.

I know what you want...but I also want immortality. Based upon the current state of tech...neither will happen in my lifetime. So, you have a choice...you either start backing technology you want to mature so future generations can partake your in your dream...or you make comments on internet forums how shit sucks and doesn't do what you want it to. I do both....so, yeah...i'm guilty :p

But you wont feel anything sooooo

Some of the limb-manipulation suits (soft-exosuits) they are developing for disabled people could be re-purposed to provide sensations of pressure, resistance, and weight.

When your brain is already being feed the image of a woman sitting on your lap, all it takes is some thin pneumatic hoses pressing on your skin in the right places to complete the illusion.

We will have VR suits eventually, it's only a matter of time, and it might be sooner rather than later. We have already invented all the necessary parts, we just need someone to bring them together in a single product.

This exists, at least in prototype form:

They only thing you have to wear on your face is a pair of IR-LEDs. The biggest problem is that it only works for one person at a time.

This exists, at least in prototype form:

They only thing you have to wear on your face is a pair of IR-LEDs. The biggest problem is that it only works for one person at a time.

I'm selfish so 1 person is all I need. /s

That looks kind of neat. Would like to see the old Asteroids game rewritten for this.

Microsoft's 24-core holographic processor sounds pretty impressive on paper. It will be interesting to see how well it performs under real-world usage. I don't know about you but I am extremely excited about HoloLens and augmented reality in general.

The HoloLens’ HPU is a custom 28nm coprocessor designed by TSMC, The Register reports. The chip packs 24 Tensilica digital signal processor (DSP) cores. As opposed to more general-purpose CPU cores, DSPs are a specialized technology designed for rapidly processing data flowing in from the world—a no doubt invaluable asset while rendering augmented reality environments in real time. Microsoft’s HPU also contains roughly 65 million logic gates, 8MB of SDRAM, and 1GB of traditional DDR3 RAM. It draws less than 10W of power, and features PCIe and standard serial interfaces.

We have two here at work, it's freaking awesome

I think Pokémon Go proves you wrong about people not caring about AR.

The fact that it's on 28nm means that there is a good chance they are already working on a die shrunk version of this chip. It's good news as they can start to play with that extra power to overcome some of the previous limitations based on power requirements.

As a special purpose single processing type device it doesn't likely need a shink. The design on DSP chips is much simpler and doesn't have to feed the data through tons of logic, they won't likely shrink it all that much. The gains in performance would be slight, the increase in costs however would be great.

This is pretty cool tech, hopefully in convinces MS they can afford to get the heck out of the OS business. ;) kidden, this is one case where I hope MS is rewarded for some forward thinking, seeing as that has always been there weakness. Does make me wanna see what samsung and apple have hiding in the lab. I honestly can't believe that only MS has considered using custom DSP.

I would personally rather be completely immersed in a VR world than have gameplay elements applied to the real world in an AR situation. I think AR is exciting and has a lot of practical applications, but for gaming I think VR is still going to be king.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I would personally rather be completely immersed in a VR world than have gameplay elements applied to the real world in an AR situation. I think AR is exciting and has a lot of practical applications, but for gaming I think VR is still going to be king.

Sounds about right to me. Its what makes MS move to invest heavy in this tech make good sense. MS could use a tech that drives companies to start replacing workstations with something that increases productivity. For too many years now the only reason for companies to upgrade has been the threat of loosing updating privileges. I have to give it to MS, if they can pull hololens off as a solid product aimed at Win 10 licences... they might be able to survive the coming push the Linux companies are going to get as Win7 users start migrating. As I see it MS has 2-3 years... and I have to admit a holo lens powered workstation giving employees 100s of inches of screen; that changes context based on nothing more then gazing in the right place for a few seconds. It might just save windows. ;)

This is a curious situation, MS is showing a product that is for a very small market, while sony is pushing VR to the masses. Not to say MS does not have a VR/xbox/Rift combo in the works, but why are they touting something that very few can afford? Google glass was a flop, but daydream seems to be on the move with some big names, Netflix, HBO, Hulu, EA, Ubisoft and others.
Google’s Daydream VR reportedly launching soon with original YouTuber content

I don't think hololens is ready for prime time yet, and def not affordable.

Personally I think this tech will be more huger than VR..lol While may be not as impressive to entertainment value customers those folks over at the military will find this indispensable for future warfare, training, trouble shooting, flight, security etc.

I could use this hunting to better spot game, at a concert to spot security risk, help me in my blacksmithing to pinpoint temp ranges or at the lath making multiple copies of the same profile. I want in.

Last edited:
We have two here at work, it's freaking awesome

Applied for and got one as well - it's rather hard to explain what it's like to use it without actually using it. The only things that I can see improving in the future is the FoV and 'normal' processing power - but it's something that i'm sure will just improve over time. And... you really cant compare this to other VR stuff - this is completely different. (I don't believe MS even likes to call this AR? this is most certainly NOT a Google Glass... lol). Just wish I had more time to use it :)

Back