Microsoft Deployment Tool - Can't capture

We're replacing the Acronis True Image backup files with an MDT 2013 deployment.

I've got it to where it can deploy an OS, Office, and run WSUS updates. There's a few apps I can't automate, and will require manual input.

But, the biggest issue I'm running into is the fact that captures are not working.

The ability to capture doesn't even show up as an option. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what could be going on?

I do have the capture parts with a green check mark in the deployment task.

The CustomSettings.ini reads as follows:

Code:
[Settings]
Priority=Default
Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
TimeZoneName=Central Standard Time
AdminPassword=password
DoCapture=YES

OSInstall=Y
SkipCature=NO
SkipAdminPassword=YES
SkipProductKey=YES
SkipComputerBackup=YES
SkipBitLocker=YES
SkipSummary=YES
SkipApplications=NO
SkipComputerName=NO
SkipLocaleSelection=YES
SkipTaskSequence=NO
SkipTimeZone=YES
SkipRoles=YES
DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
FinishAction=SHUTDOWN
SkipFinalSummary=YES
SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
SkipDeploymentType=YES
DeploymentType=NEWCOMPUTER
SkipDomainMembership=YES
JoinDomain=domain.com
DomainAdmin=mdtdeploy
DomainAdminDomain=domain.com
DomainAdminPassword=complexpassword
WSUSServer=http://wsus:8530

The machine to capture was run and shutdown after sysprep was run?

Try omitting the SkipCapture line. I checked the settings on my maintenance share and customsettings.ini does not contain a SkipCapture=NO setting. Which means show the menu.

Also, I figure it's worth mentioning that I run LiteTouch.vbs from within the running OS to start the Sysprep and Capture sequence.

Such a cool utility.

Last edited:
It ended up being the fact that I had it joining the domain. When I took that out, it worked fine. Sorry for the late response, been sick.

Not yet.

Round 1 was just get base functionality working.

I will be setting up a reference VM image though. I still have to do some research on integrating all the machine specific drivers, or I could just live with thick images instead of thin ones for each model of computer (we have about 4 or 5 computers, so it wouldn't be bad) like we had been doing with Acronis. It'd be preferable to just be able to have the drivers there and push as needed via some rule set or something. I haven't been logged into that in almost 2 weeks. I've slept a lot, took a lot of days off between illness and holiday :)

What brand systems are you using? Many of the big manufacturers make it very easy to find drivers by providing enterprise driver packs. For example:

HP Driver Packs (Client Management Solutions)
Lenovo Microsoft SCCM and MDT Package Index
Dell Command- Driver Packs for Enterprise Client OS Deployment

As you can see, they even break out WinPE drivers for separation in MDT via a selection profile (which is the recommended path to avoid driver conflicts during deployment).

I would really recommend keeping drivers separate from the image, since simplified image management is one of the major benefits to MDT.

Brandon
Windows Outreach Team- IT Pro
Windows for IT Pros at TechNet

Dell Optiplex and Precisions for the desktops, Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga and HP ProBooks for laptops.

And there's older Ideapad Yogas, Dell Latitudes and Vostros, and some HP EliteBooks here and there.

I'll look into it; I definitely would prefer to have a base OS image and be able to throw drivers at the specific machine. I'll just have to be able to sit down and play with it.

Back