Microsoft: Blu-ray is Going to be Passed by as a Format

how many Bluray quality HD digital movies can an Xbox store until it runs out of space?
Microsoft just wants to sell external peripherals.

I think with the state of the media markets as they are, Blu-Ray does not face much of a threat from digital downloads.

Perhaps if Blu-Ray restricted itself to the Asian markets it'd have a problem, but in the Western world the Internet connections are so poor that there is no way that Blu-Ray is gonna be blown out by someone who just wants to sprawl in front of the TV and watch a quality HD movie, because even with BitTorrent and cacheing, the connections just aren't fast enough.

No, I think Blu-Ray's biggest enemy is still its predecessor. The leap in quality from VHS and Betamax to DVD was HUGE. The same cannot be said of DVD to Blu-Ray; even though the quality improvement is noticeable, it's a quality gap rather than a quality gulf.

Notice the tiny sliver in this chart for HDTV.....

cesbda-0008.jpg

Yeah that makes no sense. How can High Definition TV sales be that much lower than Blu-Ray sales? Are people watching Blu-Ray on laptops and CRTs? :s

if cable companies got thier shit together and made decent powered win7 dvrs with built in cable modems then yeah I would believe blu ray disks are not needed. but lol look at tivo premiere - my htc incredbile has more cpu and memory than that pos.

I think Blu Ray has been great for games, the PS3 in particular, without Blu Ray, there'd be no Metal Gear Solid 4.

of course Microsoft is gonna say all that shit, they are the retards who backed HD-DVD

Yeah that makes no sense. How can High Definition TV sales be that much lower than Blu-Ray sales? Are people watching Blu-Ray on laptops and CRTs? :s

LOL! That is more than a little suspicious. You can't believe any information that comes from Sony.

Looks like the graph combines BR with PS3.

That said, yes I am watching BR's on my CRT. Well... I only have Rambo on BR so far. Bought it for $10 at Wal-Mart just to see if it would work - didn't really expect it to even be playable until I got my projector and HDMI cables. My BD-C5500 didn't seem to care - it gave me my blood and guts at 480i through the component video jacks and the old JVC seemed happy to show it. Gave the receiver bitstreamed DTS audio too.

That Graph only talks about adoption at the 3rd year of it's release... so it doesn't really mean anything for HDTV vs Blu Ray.

I do like teh quality that blu ray can give... but the convenience of streaming is winning out for me. And Quality is not bad at all. Not like running of a blu ray disc uncompressed in it's awesomeness, but some compression isn't so bad, I can hardly tell most of the time anyway. And you can bet that most people won't be able to really tell unless it's badly/overly compressed.

The bandwidth argument is ridiculous. How much bandwidth do you think is reaching the average home? Hint: Much more than your internet connection. I think we forget that sometimes and even what rate its reaching the home at.

The information is not suspcious. The graph is for market penetration at 3rd year for each type of media. In other words the early rate of adoption/conversion to the new format. 2008 was the 3rd year of availability for Blu-ray. 1999 or 2000 was the 3rd year for HD TVs. 1986 (maybe 1985) was the 3rd year for CDs, etc... The graph shows that blu-ray is catching on a lot faster than any other formats such as CD or DVD did when they were new.

I think blu-ray is just about the same age now as DVD was ten years ago. I think there are proprotionally a lot more blu-ray players around now compared to the number of DVD players ten years ago... but unfortunately most people still just stick regular DVDs in their blu-ray players. You couldn't play a VHS tape in a DVD player which along with no digital distribution at the time made the conversion to DVD quite a paradigm shift.

I think blu-ray will never be watched as much as DVD but nor will it be purely a niche thing like laser disc.

Like everyone else... Netflix, have missed the the boat by not supporting 'true' HD digital downloads which include DTS streams. (DTS-MA preferable)

Apple not supporting BR is retarded especially with a platform such as Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro.

MS saying its a format to be missed, well I think BR is the next (or current) PROFITABLE media format.

Digital downloads are great, but the support and infrastructure needed to sell those costs large companies such as MS/Apple nearly 2x as much as physical media. Only companies such as Valve have (nearly) perfected the system with STEAM.

Once broadband hits 100+ Mbps (as a standard connection), I could honestly say that disc media will start to die off as one could download a 25GB BR (or equivalent video) in less than an hour.

of course Microsoft is gonna say all that shit, they are the retards who backed HD-DVD

that was my inital impression; one would of thought they would just build a bridge and get over it :eek:
but it must suck to see blu-ray do well...

I went from DVD to HD-DVD to Blue Ray, and i'm pretty much fed up with having to store and manage any physical media, so now I stream everything through Xbox 360 and I have Blue Ray player that has Vudu and the funny thing is the Blue Ray player hasn't seen a single Blue Ray....lol

It is 1:1 hdtv/blu ray ownership. Hdtv owners can buy many blu ray movies.

Yes, there is. Firewire made it out the door and was somewhat successful, but only among professional artists. If you have a camcorder, good chance it has a firewire port on it. Then USB2.0 came along and people are like, "Firewire who?".

Rubbish, anyone that transfers video from camcorder to their PC is going to use firewire over USB, it's way faster. I think you are under the misaprehension the everybody else does as you do. Firewire is alive untill USB(or newer affordable tech) reaches similar speeds.

It is 1:1 hdtv/blu ray ownership. Hdtv owners can buy many blu ray movies.

No. It was 3-year household penetration percentage. Owning 50 blu-ray movies doesn't make your house count for more than one household that is "blu-ray" capable.

Rubbish, anyone that transfers video from camcorder to their PC is going to use firewire over USB, it's way faster. I think you are under the misaprehension the everybody else does as you do. Firewire is alive untill USB(or newer affordable tech) reaches similar speeds.

I happen to prefer Firewire over USB (especially on the Mac side) but it is going away. Even Apple doesnt seem serious about it anymore and lots of other devices are ditching Firewire and going USB only; going forward it'll be either USB 3.0 or Lightpeak which is too bad because Firewire is a good and robust technology

Thats pretty much a given when you consider that to really benefit from a BR player you have to also have an HDTV. That fact alone slowed the adoption among a lot of people early on. BR players were already expensive, and then toss the cost of a new TV on top of it? It was too much for most to justify other than die hard HD people.

There are a couple of places to keep an eye on the sales of BR versus DVD copies of movies that are up to date, but a lot of the "adoption rate" data I could find was back from 2009. The thing is, they count PS3's in almost every single instance, which some people would say isn't legit, since it's not a plain old BR player and got sales for being a video game machine as well. I don't believe there was a comparible console with DVD as a format when DVD's came out.

Notice the tiny sliver in this chart for HDTV.....

cesbda-0008.jpg

I tend to follow this Hi-Def Digest thread to see how movies are selling, and they graph BR against DVD so it's easy to see which movies sell more in either format. Sadly they don't break it down by month or year, though if you wanted to find out, the data is there.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/high-definition-smackdown/98036-2010-blu-ray-sales-metrics-stats-nielsen-videoscan-hmm-charts-ratios-bestsellers-etc.html

Right now the economy is so screwed that sales of any format are going to be affected. The question is, by how much?

I don't see caps going up, since there's no money to be made by VZ or Comcast. They'll lower them just enough to convince you to upgrade to a higher package with a slightly higher cap, or bill you extra for running over your low cap. It's not in their best interest to raise caps at all.
Thanks, that's pretty good info. Yeah, you're right that PS3 shouldn't really be counted as a BR player since it's primarily a gaming machine. Kind of like how PS2 shouldn't be counted as a DVD player since it's primarily a gaming machine.

But I know more and more people getting BR players, esp. the past 2 years it really seems to have taken off - around the time HD DVD was officially killed off. One can say DVD didn't have the confusion/competition of formats that BR did.

One advantage of the physical disc that I utilize is that you can exchange/trade discs with others. I swap DVDs w/ a couple friends and coworkers all the time. One can't (legally) do this with streamed copyright multimedia.

How long will 1920x1080 be the standard? Which format could survive 2160p? Streaming? Dreaming.

There are probably more people taking DVDs out at the library than streaming 1080p smoothly and without fail.

How many people over 35 are really getting into HD streaming? And what is more convenient for families, a pristine Disney Blu-Ray (even luddites can tell these are better on an HDTV or monitor) for that oft-watched movie, or streaming... streaming a few days later... hogging the bandwidth, reaching the cap... did I mention it could be a combo pack with a DVD for any laptop, car, TVs in other rooms, etc.

Streaming will get better but Blu-Ray won't stand pat! And prices can be very good, for permanent ownership (including used sales). Tier 0!!!

90% of the US has down syndrome.
This argument has 2 self-explanatory parts:

1.WTF are we still doing with discs?

2.Anyone who pays the same or more for a digital download of a blu-ray is one of the 90% with down syndrome.

Solution? For God's sake do the right thing and nuke ourselves.

What's wrong with a disc? It's just stored data like the hard drive you're using, but easier to make 500,000 to sell.

I wouldn't bet on ease of streaming shifting the dynamic, with Redbox blu-ray rentals (beware of scratches) and a lot of people using wireless internet. Plus with more demand on Netflix or Vudu, etc., that puts more on their servers. Moving discs won't get much harder.

Besides, a lot of streaming services look like inferior WMV files, through compression before or after they're available. Blu-ray isn't immune to that, there are some Standard Definition+ ones, but not nearly as often.

Digital distribution can work, as books and games have seen, but then his original idea was for digital to extinguish physical media, not just outperform it. Not likely.

One advantage of the physical disc that I utilize is that you can exchange/trade discs with others. I swap DVDs w/ a couple friends and coworkers all the time. One can't (legally) do this with streamed copyright multimedia.
Wasn't there a court ruling last year saying that you can't legally do that with physical discs either?

Wasn't there a court ruling last year saying that you can't legally do that with physical discs either?
Not that I'm aware of. It would be quite Draconian, even for the MPAA, to not allow people to swap DVDs/BRDs with each other. Not to mention all public libraries that offer this service would be breaking the law.

Now if someone rips the borrowed DVD/BRD, then that would be a foul in the eyes of the MPAA and US law.

People yell about 1080p streaming but most don't actually look at the quality of the stream. How is the audio? What bitrate is the video?

The "bluray quality" comment from this guy is insane.

Bluray plays at about 36Mbps... Average US internet connection is about 3Mbps, even the best ones average about 20. You are not streaming Bluray quality over anything right now...

Digital Distribution is superior in almost every possible way to optical disc media.

What if you live in the country? Don't worry about people in the country, they will survive somehow. There are only about one thousand different ways country people could still watch movies and play games even if it was all digital distribution.

What if you have shitty internet? Get better internet.

What if you have the best internet already and it still sucks? Wait, bitch, and switch providers as soon as something better comes along.

But streaming sucks! Make it better. Be patient/think ahead and download your shit in high quality.

Digital Distribution is so cheap and efficient that people literally do it for free right now, and have been doing it for years. The costs of digital distribution can essentially be considered non-existent. Hell, the MPAA could write their own P2P client and MAKE MONEY off of the distribution through advertisement.

The loser of the format war is saying "look, we didn't need to win the war because digital downloads are going to pwn!"

Not impressed or surprised.

What's right with a disc?

Enthusiast audio and it isn't checking your usage to make sure you don't view more than 250 GB.

Unless I'm missing something, streaming can only be as good as Blu-Ray quality, if every domino falls. And discs are now for sale at $10 and can be sold at $7, available for rental for $1.50, 75 cents a day with Netflix, etc.

Enthusiast audio and it isn't checking your usage to make sure you don't view more than 250 GB.

Unless I'm missing something, streaming can only be as good as Blu-Ray quality, if every domino falls. And discs are now for sale at $10 and can be sold at $7, available for rental for $1.50, 75 cents a day with Netflix, etc.

Forgive me if I'm over generalizing, however the beauty of digital download is it can be ANY size, resolution, refresh rate, and codec you want. 480p, 1080p, 2k, 4k, 24fps, 29.xxfps, 60fps, 120fps, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 200GB... I mean... it stops the medium from limiting your home theater.

The transition of mediums from film to VCR, Laserdisc, DVD, Blu-Ray, HVD are so yesterday. The future looks like Raid 1 multiple TB volumes. Even then, that is only until Americans have enough bandwidth to store no media in their home and the content providers make everything available for on-demand streaming from their servers. Buy online or buy a one time use code at the store... you get the picture.

The future is much more convenient. We just have to figure out an industry-wide DRM that works and the government needs to start sticking heads on pikes until ISP cartel starts competing in every city. We'll get there.

BTW, I said 200GB because the hard drive containing the movie Avatar, in 3D, which was shipped to every theater showing Avatar in 3D, contained the movie... all 200GB of it. (Stick that in the blu-ray and smoke it.)

After re-reading the articles, it appears the movie was only 150GB. >.<

http://gizmodo.com/5429705/massive-drm-fail-kills-avatar-3d-screening
http://torrentfreak.com/drm-fiasco-ruins-james-camerons-avatar-3d-preview-091217/
http://technologizer.com/2009/12/18/drm-dashes-avatar-preview/

Digital is all fine and dandy, But the true [H]ard core enthusiast are going to stick with a physical copy. For better quality and over all higher class ; ) Im glad that you can enjoy your half assed, golden calf "HD"streaming at your convenience.

Digital Distribution is superior in almost every possible way to optical disc media.

What if you live in the country? Don't worry about people in the country, they will survive somehow. There are only about one thousand different ways country people could still watch movies and play games even if it was all digital distribution.

What if you have shitty internet? Get better internet.

What if you have the best internet already and it still sucks? Wait, bitch, and switch providers as soon as something better comes along.

But streaming sucks! Make it better. Be patient/think ahead and download your shit in high quality.

Digital Distribution is so cheap and efficient that people literally do it for free right now, and have been doing it for years. The costs of digital distribution can essentially be considered non-existent. Hell, the MPAA could write their own P2P client and MAKE MONEY off of the distribution through advertisement.
this post is ridiculous, this is like telling somebody from the iraq:
"hey you don't like your the weather here? invent a weather matchine"

"wait bitch, wait for someone to invent a weather machine"

"be patient and invent your own weather machine"

raff out roud

Back