Microsoft Backs Oracle Against Google Android

HardOCP News

[H] News
What's the old saying? Something along the lines of the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

On Tuesday, according to court records, several companies and individuals filed statements in support of an Oracle appeal that seeks to show that Google illegally cloned the Java APIs, or application programming interfaces, software that developers use to build applications in the Java programming language. Microsoft was among them, filing a brief together with data storage giants EMC and NetApp.

عدو عدوي صديقي

Another reason to stop using Microsoft products.

The notion that an API should be copyrightable is absurd and would spell the end of any sort of open or free computing. Microsoft, like all big corporations, has decided that, rather than compete (Windows Phone is a piece of shit), they will simply get in bed with the state in an attempt at economic rent seeking.

Google need to invent their own type of open source language that is better than java and easy yet powerful.

Translated means, the latest efforts to get WinMo anywhere failed harder than we expected.

In case anybody wanted to know; I am backing Google against Oracle.:p

Plus that damn Oracle Java has been one of the most damaging pieces of software for me. I reckon all the malware on my PC came through it.:mad:

It is weird that Oracle would sink so far taking on legal battles they can not possible win unless they paid the judges and jury.

That MS is a self serving incompetent bunch of programmers that need lawyers to make their attempts at an operating system viable is not news but to try and stick it to Linux this way might have a snowball effect ....

This news has left me shocked. Utterly shocked and dismayed. Can't you see how shocked I am?

This was always going to be the end result of the Oracle buyout though. What were the bits and pieces that made Sun are now but scattered ruins and post-it notes in Oracle to be used as convenient ammunition for potential litigations.

Windows Phone is a piece of shit
Hmm, my Lumia 920 seems just fine to me.

Also, Year-over-year growth shows Windows Phone doing quite well for itself. The latest report from IDC shows Windows Phone at 150% YoY growth, Android at 88%, iOS at 29%, and BBOS at -43%.

Also, Year-over-year growth shows Windows Phone doing quite well for itself. The latest report from IDC shows Windows Phone at 150% YoY growth, Android at 88%, iOS at 29%, and BBOS at -43%.

Market share, and this includes WP7, is under 2%. OEMs aren't signing up in droves either, rather backing away - Samsung dropped some designs. I kinda like WP8, but I'm not willing to post a disingenuous picture of its current standing. It's still very much in an iffy state. It'll get better through 2013, but no, it certainly hasn't hit it out of the park.

There isn't a chance in hell that Oracle wins this, but even if they did the ramifications wouldn't be significant on the consumer side.

150% of nothing is still nothing.

Market share, and this includes WP7, is under 2%. OEMs aren't signing up in droves either, rather backing away - Samsung dropped some designs. I kinda like WP8, but I'm not willing to post a disingenuous picture of its current standing. It's still very much in an iffy state. It'll get better through 2013, but no, it certainly hasn't hit it out of the park.

There isn't a chance in hell that Oracle wins this, but even if they did the ramifications wouldn't be significant on the consumer side.

I wish I could be as certain about Oracle losing but I can't. They will continue to litigate until they get lucky and find a judge who is either stupid enough or corrupt enough to allow Oracle's API copyright to stand. If that happens, it would be absolutely disastrous for computing : Something as simple as making a third-party AIM client would now be considered copyright infringement. Things like Wine and Samba would be illegal. It would be illegal for other graphics programs such as Paint Shop Pro to be able to have compatibility with Photoshop plugins. Even internet protocols could be at risk : Microsoft could make proprietary extension to HTTP and then use copyright to prevent anyone else from implementing them.

Also, after digging deeper, it also looks like some former SCO people are involved with the amici curiae briefs.

Remember that Microsoft covertly funded SCO's assault on GNU/Linux.

In case anybody wanted to know; I am backing Google against Oracle.:p

Plus that damn Oracle Java has been one of the most damaging pieces of software for me. I reckon all the malware on my PC came through it.:mad:

java has been buggy, freezing crap as long as I remember. With that said seems IT guys love to use it, it must be relatively easy to code for. Every single thing at work runs off it. I try not to use it at home whenever possible. If it didn't have the nasty habit of locking up all the time requiring a restart...

java has been buggy, freezing crap as long as I remember. With that said seems IT guys love to use it, it must be relatively easy to code for. Every single thing at work runs off it. I try not to use it at home whenever possible. If it didn't have the nasty habit of locking up all the time requiring a restart...

It's wicked easy to code for a really portable, which is why tons of colleges teach it in Programming classes. Runtime Environment runs on just about everything.

Google should just buy JRE and take over development.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

"Sun Microsystems, the creator of Java, sued Microsoft in October 1997 for incompletely implementing the Java 1.1 standard.[2] It was also named in the United States v. Microsoft antitrust civil actions, as an implementation of Microsoft's Embrace, extend and extinguish strategy. In 2001, Microsoft settled the lawsuit with Sun and discontinued its Java implementation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Java_Virtual_Machine

MS aint no saint.

Google need to invent their own type of open source language that is better than java and easy yet powerful.
It already exists. It's called D. Standard C++11 also allows for garbage-collected implementations, so we'll soon see C++ implementations that come relatively close to being as 'easy' as Java (and I would argue that it's easier to write efficient, high-performance applications with a greater degree of performance predictability in C++ than it is in Java already, assuming judicious use of the RAII idiom).

MS aint no saint.

Microsoft has been a shady company literally since their first products. They did not make DOS. They stole Windows from Apple (who RECEIVED it from Xerox). Etc. I don't care that they ripped Apple off because I see Apple as even worse than MS, but MS has never been a decent company.

Reminds me of the line from the movie Madagascar when the one monkey says to the other:

"Well of course we're going to throw poo at them."

Only reason why they are doing this is because they are loosing market share slowly. Why is it MS now beats on the Standards Drum. Its because they are getting their ass kicked. Why is it that they gave no shits when they had 90+% of web browser share cause they had a monopoly.

IDC's numbers are disingenuous? :confused:

Also, according to the same report, Windows Phone currently commands a 2.6% market share as of Q4 2012 (up from 1.5% in Q4 2011).

Like I said, it seems to be doing well for itself.

150% of nothing is still nothing.
See the above. That growth rate means it wont stay nothing.

IDC's numbers are disingenuous? :confused:

Also, according to the same report, Windows Phone currently commands a 2.6% market share as of Q4 2012 (up from 1.5% in Q4 2011).

Like I said, it seems to be doing well for itself.

See the above. That growth rate means it wont stay nothing.

2.6% is nothing.

Windows Mobile had a higher market share.

2.6% is nothing.

Windows Mobile had a higher market share.
Not sure what your point is? Everything starts from zero.

And 2.6% doesn't count any of Q1 2013. Windows Phone 8 marketshare managed to eclipse all WP7 phones sold in the US within 90 days of its launch. That's a pretty impressive pick-up in sales.

Also, it's the only platform other than Android and iOS that's actually growing (and it's the fastest growing overall). Kinda hard to discount that.

That WP market share includes WP7.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...manufacturers2c-platforms2c-actual-users.aspx

BIGGEST SMARTPHONE OPERATING SYSTEMS BY UNIT SALES IN Q4 2012

Rank . OS Platform . . . . Units . . . . Market share . Was Q3 2012
1 (1) . . Android . . . . . . . 147.3 M . . 68.5 % . . . . . ( 70.7 %)
2 (2) . . iOS . . . . . . . . . . 47.8 M . . 22.2 % . . . . . ( 15.7 %)
3 (3) . . Blackberry . . . . . . 6.9 M . . .. 3.2 % . . . . . ( 4.3 %)
4 (6) . . Windows Phone . . 5.7 M . . .. 2.6 % . . . . . ( 1.9 %)
5 (4) . . bada . . . . . . . . . . 3.1 M . . .. 1.4 % . . . . . ( 3.0 %)
6 (5) . . Symbian . . . . . . . 2.2 M . . .. 1.0 % . . . . . ( 2.0 %)
Others . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.1 M . . .. 1.0 % . . . . . ( 2.3 %)
TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . 215.1 M
Source: TomiAhonen Almanac 2013. This data may be freely used and repeated

It's not forecasted to break 10% for the next 2+ years. It's difficult to break into the market given the size of the established players. It's much like Google creeping in on PC market share with their Chromebooks, except MS has had a presence in the phone space for years now, fluctuating between 3%-1%. I like WP8 as a phone OS, but MS has had higher figures before as well, but given the current climate you'd have to be crazy to think that they're going to be selling these things in volume and grab a significant portion of the market share in the near future.

Not sure what your point is? Everything starts from zero.

And 2.6% doesn't count any of Q1 2013. Windows Phone 8 marketshare managed to eclipse all WP7 phones sold in the US within 90 days of its launch. That's a pretty impressive pick-up in sales.

Also, it's the only platform other than Android and iOS that's actually growing (and it's the fastest growing overall). Kinda hard to discount that.

Windows Mobile had over 40% market share in 2007. Microsoft has gone from having 40% market share to less than 5% market share in only 5 years. I would not call that successful.

Windows Mobile had over 40% market share in 2007. Microsoft has gone from having 40% market share to less than 5% market share in only 5 years. I would not call that successful.
You're talking about two different things, though. Windows Mobile (a canceled platform) and Windows Phone (a new and growing platform).

Windows Mobile was destined to erode into oblivion eventually anyway. Canceling its development just sped up the process. It wasn't comparative and had been losing share (downward trend) for ages. Microsoft was seeing negative growth every quarter, just like RIM.

Windows Phone, on the other hand, has had remarkably positive growth. Its reversed Microsoft's mobile decline and put them back into positive YoY growth.

How would you not call that successful?

Here, this paints a pretty clear picture. Look at the line for Windows Mobile, and note the abysmal sales figures all the way back to Q1 of 2007.

lR6gWjs.png

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system#Market_share

Windows Mobile simply wasn't moving many units, to the point that current WP7 + WP8 sales are now outstripping even it's best quarter going all the way back to the beginning of 2007.

So Windows Phone is doing at least as well as Windows Mobile was (and really, the strong positive growth means it's doing better. Windows Mobile was horribly stagnant).

Back