Microsoft Announces Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Redstone 3 has an official, albeit unoriginal name: Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Microsoft is sticking with the previous moniker because they think the majority of new features are those that will continue to help consumers be creative. These will include Microsoft's Fluent Design System (Project NEON), a new interface paradigm for building apps that can work across a variety of devices and input types. Expect the update to roll out by September or October.

…the company revealed at its Build developer conference today that the upgrade will show off how Windows ties into the "Microsoft Graph," the underlying set of APIs connecting all of its products. That includes the ability to pick up where you left off working on a Windows, iOS or Android device; a universal clipboard that you can access across multiple devices; and Timeline, a feature that will let you jump back in time to a previous work session using, you guessed it, a visual timeline. While we've seen similar solutions, like Apple's handoff feature between Macs and iOS devices, Microsoft's attempt sounds useful for consumers who work across Windows and other platforms.

WTF is with the "Creators Update" naming convention?
Either way, I hope this one isn't as screwy as the current update. Between breaking HDR and creating random hitches in games, the only "good" thing I got was 3D Paint...really?

Their integrated ecosystem and push for being a content creator is crazy neat.

Project Roam is damn nice.

The OneDrive Files On-Demand feature certainly looks like an improvement.
In Microsoft's demo screenshots (which of course are subject to change between now and when the Fall Creators Update is released), OneDrive placeholder files show up in Windows Explorer with little blue cloud icons next to them. Open a file, and that icon will change to a green checkmark to indicate that it has been downloaded and synced; you can also right-click individual files and folders choose to sync them permanently, handy for when you know you'll want to work with files but you're not sure you'll have a reliable connection (as on an airplane).

For home users, the key advantage of using placeholder files rather than syncing everything is primarily that it saves disk space. But OneDrive for Business and Sharepoint users will also benefit—using these placeholder files can cut down on the amount of Internet and network bandwidth used to keep files synced as multiple users make changes. Now, you only have these changes synced if you've actually chosen to download the file.

WTF is with the "Creators Update" naming convention?
Either way, I hope this one isn't as screwy as the current update. Between breaking HDR and creating random hitches in games, the only "good" thing I got was 3D Paint...really?

I thought that the HDR issue was driver related, I believe it's been reported here that older drivers don't have the problem. Gaming issues might be due to having Game Mode on.

As much as people don't care for cloud around here, this has been a huge issue since removing place holders from Windows 10. This looks pretty slick as far as cloud storage.

I thought that the HDR issue was driver related, I believe it's been reported here that older drivers don't have the problem. Gaming issues might be due to having Game Mode on.

It's an MS thing per Nvidia and ATI. Older drivers don't have the issue because they aren't WDM 2.2 compliant. All drivers going forward have to be. MS's implementation of the HDR color space is apparently simulated and not simulated well. Nvidia has basically shrugged and said to wait for MS to fix it. You can use older drivers, although they obviously aren't going to be optimized for anything newer. Not sure what ATI is suggesting.

The hitching is definitely Game Mode related, but it's apparently also tied to the Game Bar as well. You can disable both (killing off the good things that the Game Bar has), although that's a pretty weak option for something that worked fine before.

...and all I have to show for that is 3D Paint and non-functional Mixed Reality Portal and Wireless Media Display Viewer apps :p

All I want is an option to turn and remove shit off, like Cortana, etc. without resorting to stupid hacks.

Yes, that also include the intrusive telemetry.

So, my Wife's laptop is not set to defer updates (my rig is for now), and it still says "Creators update is on the way, want to be the first, blah blah blah?" I am still curious when the heck it is actually going to install it. My own little experiment I guess.

So, three years to put back placeholders - a feature that already existed in 8.1 but got abruptly removed.

"New and innovative!"

So, three years to put back placeholders - a feature that already existed in 8.1 but got abruptly removed.

"New and innovative!"

True, but this is a good deal more than place holders and is at the OS level and can work across devices.

Can't wait for them to install default graphics drivers again! I just LOVED that pink band across my screen when turning on my computer!

File placeholders are nice. I have hundreds of GB in One Drive and I and everyone could certainly use them.

I just wish they would fix the problems we have now rather than adding more junk.

How about the black screen issues, the fact System restore doesnt work, SafeMode is really difficult to get to and again doesnt work most of the time. System reset doesnt work half the time. Start Up Repair is a joke. Running system File Check in Recovery Mode doesnt work etc. etc. etc.

If your Windows 10 rig fails to boot, you may as well reformat and rebuild from scratch. To quote the Shat..."none of this shit works!"

Its a "trendy and hip" marketing campaign to push sales towards the "teen entering college" demographic who they hope will "create customers for life" and "take strategic market share from competitors".

Bunch of assholes.
It's for the generation of idiots who think all you need to create marketable content is paint3d.

It's for the generation of idiots who think all you need to create marketable content is paint3d.
Dont forget that urgent need to blindly worship and defend corporations!

...or blindly hate and deride other corporations :p
Thats pretty much the same thing, worshiping one corporation normally means crapping on others.

But some can look beyond that and see right and wrong, unlike the shills here...

The feature that OneDrive basically once had, then they removed it so Dropbox added it, now they are tossing it out as some new awesome feature, nice move Apple, I mean Microsoft...

Here is 1TB of online cloud storage, but here is a Surface with only 256/512GB of local storage, enjoy using your 1TB of cloud storage....

Back