Microsoft A+... any value whatsoever?

you pretty have to. you might know a lot about computers but you won't know everything, and the A+ covers other types of related hardware. The books and sample tests will give you most of what you need to learn.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was getting at. People seem to think if they can build a computer they can pass the test. Now I'm not calling the test "difficult" but there is a bunch of shit on there that you wouldn't normally need to know. FYI, I passed the A+ in 2000.

I bought this book, started reading it on Jan 2, just finished tonight:
http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071701451
Spent about $30 for it. A lot of it is "difficult reading" because its often boring, mostly basic, and a little repetitive. I did learn some stuff like basic TCP/IP details, and also some recovery console and command line utilities.

If I continue with the network+, which I definitely hope to do, I'll get the Mike Meyers book you linked earlier Database. His A+ book apparently is MUCH more popular than the Holcombe A+ book I used.

OK, I just wanted to make sure you weren't winging it. I assume you are taking the 2 tests back to back? They aren't long and that's what I did and would do today. Hope you studied enough, I'd hate to see you waste almost $400 on a shot in the dark.

Personally, I think it depends on your goal. If you just want something entry level, shoot for A+. Once you get that job, use the experience along with more advanced certs to land something else. Or, skip A+ and go for MCTS, VMWare, or MCITP and REALLY show them you know your stuff. Honestly, I think most hobbyists can pass A+. I passed in it 2001 when I as a sophomore in college. Then again, that test had questions about math coprocessors and 486s on it, so maybe it's evolved :)

Like some of the others said, I got my A+ when I worked as a tech at CompUSA. It'll get you a job, but not a career.

If it matters, I have MCITP: EA now...and I work for a large...really large...software company.

In the past when I've had to do hiring experience was a lot more important to me then certs which many just don't care to ever get unless they are somewhere that pays for the training and the tests.

I will say people who have things like mcse that don't have a bunch of experience or lower certs are a red flag to me. I've seen way too many people that were able to study their way to an mcse that don't have the basic troubleshooting skills to figure out if the issue is software or hardware.

Having a trail where you can see someone has expanded their knowledge overtime is something that most don't take into account.

I scheduled my test for Friday. Woop de doo, woop de doo.
I rescheduled my exam for Tuesday lol... and yes, I am taking them back to back.

Sorry to thread jack. i didn't feel it was right to make another thread as this question was probably asked numerous times before.
Actually, you really should have started another thread, or even better, if it was probably asked numerous times before, a simple search using the search tool would be even more appropriate to start with. Very few people will see your question posted deep within this thread, as opposed to many who'll see it in a new thread. Besides, it's really just rude... :rolleyes:

Actually, you really should have started another thread, or even better, if it was probably asked numerous times before, a simple search using the search tool would be even more appropriate to start with. Very few people will see your question posted deep within this thread, as opposed to many who'll see it in a new thread. Besides, it's really just rude... :rolleyes:

Sorry about that. Actually i've tried searching but couldn't find an exact answer for my question, and didn't feel like searching through 50+ pages of old threads for a simple question. Didn't think it would be much of an issue since your OP is sort of relative to what I'm dealing with here. My apologies.

I passed the 701 essentials (*WHEW*). Got 835/900 which I guess I should be happy about, but I will be happy if/when I pass the 702. There were some strange questions.

What's RAMBUS' max speed? Choices were 266, 533, 667, 800. I chose 800, not sure if thats right, but I was looking for the option "Don't know, don't care."

Also: A PC doesn't turn on. There's a green light blinking on back of PSU. What is the problem? Choices: PSU delivering half power, PSU delivering DC only, PSU not able to deliver enough power, and something else, I forgot. I was like, "What kind of $#^ing PSU has a light on the back??"

There were SEVERAL questions on wireless frequencies/standards (A, B, G, N), also several on troubleshooting steps, and even "What two memory types use 72pins? (SIMM and SODIMM). A lot of questions were difficult in my opinion.

I was going to take the practical tomorrow, but I re-scheduled it for Friday afternoon. I don't feel too confident but we'll see what happens.

What's RAMBUS' max speed? Choices were 266, 533, 667, 800. I chose 800, not sure if thats right, but I was looking for the option "Don't know, don't care."

I hate questions like that because they don't have a right answer. 800 should be the one they were looking for but it isn't the right answer. Most 16 bit rambus systems(the standard ones) maxed out officially at that. Late in the game you had 32 bit rambus which didn't need to be installed in pairs and 1066 was the speed most of it was in. 600, 700, and 800 where the main speeds when the p3 was out and 600 and 800 with the p4. 700 wasn't compatible with the p4 if I remember right and got clocked down to 600mhz.

Both had 1066 memory from samsung and others. You also had pc1200 memory which was for overclocked systems.

Yea I'm sure I forgot something important remembering that shit. Besides who needs that info anymore? The p4 died a long time ago and anything else that uses rambus is in custom systems(like the ps3). Really worthless info now a days.

I would put it on there, it's a sure fire way to get past an HR censor.

In some companies if they put "X Cert/Degree" required, and you don't have it on your resume when you submit, they actually just toss it and the only resumes the Manager gets is the one with "X Cert/Degree".

I'm an Engineer, not a Manager, but if I were to interview you, I would know very quickly if you are right by asking you a lot of questions, not if you have "X Cert/Degree" written on a sheet of paper. Some places have there "own" way of doing things and don't like to "untrain" the methods that others have taught you, so sometimes it's not a bad thing to have a good base.

800 should be the one they were looking for but it isn't the right answer.
WOW you know your RAMBUS! I never used rambus. I thought for sure it was only P4.

There was at least 2 more questions where "the right answer" and "the answer they're looking for" were not the same.

Congrats, thought you were going to take them back to back?
HEHEHE, I CHICKENED OUT. I took & failed the 702/practical portion of a practice exam that came with my book, and got nervous. I feel a little better having gotten a pretty decent 701 score but still going to study my butt off til Friday. I was definitely not going to risk failing BOTH the 701 and 702 together! Too expensive :p

I also figured that taking the 701 would help me determine how ready I am for the 702. I'm not sure if it did though.

RE: A little off, THANKS, that seems to be the general consensus, thanks for chiming in!

Last edited:
I would've chose 800 for the rambus question too. Of course all rambus does is sue people now as it's more profitable than making memory apparently.

I would've chose 800 for the rambus question too. Of course all rambus does is sue people now as it's more profitable than making memory apparently.

LOL, Actually, they won those cases I think, and probably rightfully so, as they developed dual channel architecture as far as I understand it... but that's a whole other thread LOL

WOW you know your RAMBUS! I never used rambus. I thought for sure it was only P4.

First big one was the vc820 for the p3. Intel made a sd to rambus bridge adapter to run some boards with the older pc-100/pc-133 memeory but it had issues. They ended up replacing those boards with a rambus version and gave people 128 megs of rambus to put in it. Had a few systems to replace with the rambus boards. I will say I remember the systems being really fast.

Anyway it is a good idea to follow up with customers. Helps for repeat business. Guess it depends on what type of business you are in though.

I took the A+ when windows 3.11 was still on it back when 2000 was the big game in town. My only issue was with the printer questions. I hated them. I have no clue what the voltages are on standard laser printers and on their fusers. Anytime I've needed that info I've checked the service manual.

The XDR memory in the ps3 is the successor to the rambus rdram. XDR2 was shown off in like 2008 but I don't know if anything is using it. Rambus was working on memory for high speed networking. They also did some work on ddr3 controllers or something(haven't really kept up with it).

I took the A+ when windows 3.11 was still on it back when 2000 was the big game in town. My only issue was with the printer questions. I hated them.
NICE. My printout said I need to review printers or something... lol. You never had to take any form of the A+ afterwards huh?

LOL!!! I wonder if anyone has ever done that...

I TOTALLY almost picked SIMM and DIMM because I don't recall ever dealing with 72pin SODIMMS. I bought a Pentium-233 laptop around '98 but I can't recall what it used. Anyway, I changed my answer at the last few minutes while reviewing my flagged questions. The choices were (pick two)

Edited Per Request

COMPTIA... I think I hate you...

Yea that is the type of stuff that use to be important. At this point pretty much the only question for a notebook is if it is ddr 1, 2 or 3. Maybe one that uses pc-100/133 but almost anything using that will be pretty outdated at this point. Hell printers use ddr.

Last edited:
Its watercooling. It dissipates heat through thermal transfer in the water.

Fans cannot attain anything below room tempature, because all they are doing is moving air.

Watercooling however, can easily exceed room temp levels (in the reverse nature).

A+ is basically confirmation you're not dumb as a brick, seriously.
Network + is the equivalent of A+ in terms of networking
Security+ has some value (especially if you were doing MCSE, I dunno if it still does in RE to MCITP's)

Your first decision should be where you want to go, and what you want to do. Software wise, you have a few choices (and making one isn't bad, its hard to keep track of the various options, you really need to focus on one major or 1 major 1 minor system) Microsoft is obviously the big one, is going to be the largest pool to dive into, but also the one with the most fish already in the pond. Linux second and finally Mac's.

Then you have a hardware platform networking side to consider. Generalized, Cisco, Juniper. Most people go Cisco, and branch into others as necessary once they have the job. But you could easily go into a Juniper certification, and focus on their products.

It helps guide you when you kind of know what direction you want to go, not saying you don't, but just advising you.

Once you pass your A+ and any other CompTIA certs, sit down with the Windows 7 client stuff MCITP, Administrator and Desktop Support. Microsoft really wanted to stiffen the level curve on their tests, as the Windows XP MCP was fluffy to me. I passed it w/ just hands on experience and knowledge.

The Win 7 exams, almost demand you have a hands on lab to work in, complete with VM's, and a 2008 R2 setup with Win 7 Ultimate desktops (or VM's). I think they're trying to completely eliminate the assholes that brain dump the tests, and I'm all for that, but they really are hard exams in relation to past MS exams.

I thought I'd post on here, because I enjoy giving advice to someone just starting out. Personally, I'm a VMware vSphere nerd, working on cloud projects. Not something small, something very big... hundreds of ESX(i) hosts and thousands of Virtual Machines. I make a lot of money doing it :p. I've worked at some really big companies, and now I work for the Department of Defense as a contractor.

The number one piece of advice I'd give you OP, is do what you think is right. I've lost jobs because of the fact I make an attempt to be completely ethical, but in the end it has paid off. More than that, don't listen to people who talk badly about people who have certifications, especially from people who don't have any themselves. Usually, its because they're not capable of it, bad test takers or otherwise. Being ashamed of your certifications, and hiding them, is a personal choice -- I'd never tell someone who is trying to get a job NOT to display EVERY advantage they can. I also recommend you don't listen to an older IT guy who has been at x company a long time and who has never been much of anywhere else. He has a lot of experience learning how THEIR environment works, and that has very little relation to anything outside of their little box they live in. You'll find that out quick as you move up the chain. Comments like, "this or that doesn't work well in this environment" are usually good signs, especially when it makes no damned sense. If they sound like they're full of shit, they probably are. It is code speak for "don't change what I know", because even if it makes things better it loosens their control. Genuinely smart IT guys with a successful career know that helping others and being teachers will help themselves far more than giving someone with less experience a hard time 'all the time'. There was a comment above about a guy who works with people who laugh at people with certifications... you don't need coworkers like that. Leave that small minded stuff behind and work someplace else. Dust your shoulders off... Having said that, be able to back yourself up on what you know, and don't brain dump and cheat your certs. If you did that, then they have every right to laugh at you and give you hell.

Do your time. Everyone has to work in the trenches at first. Get that job at best buy, be a geek squad employee -- nothing wrong with that at all. I bet you right now that there will be a genuinely descent guy on his way up who will help you along. There will also be assholes trying to compare epeens and are going nowhere in a hurry, use your brain and figure people out ;). Learn everything you can and do the best job you can, and eventually, it will pay off. Having a couple of years experience doing that work plus the certifications can look good to a company who does warranty work, etc, and those places tend to have people who do entry level server work. They will hire you to work on PC stuff, but will have no problem with you learning from people who also do the higher end stuff. Eventually one thing leads to another, and you'll gain experience. It just takes time. The experience should be worth more than pay (at least at first), so I'd look for a chance to get a lot of experience and grow over making an extra couple of bucks an hour being pigeonholed. Eventually 2-3$ extra or less per hour will seem like peanuts ;).

My two cents.

Thanks stiltner & defuse, that's REALLY really awesome advice! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Hopefully others will benefit from this advice as well.

That is really great advice. I worked at a company where management would constantly put people down for going to college and having debt and try to hold them back from taking courses or getting certs to limit their ambition and options when applying for other jobs. Ironically none of the managers had a college degree or any certifications. They tried doing it to me (not regarding certs or courses but in a different way), I warned them twice and the third time I quit the next day. I did manual labor for a couple months but I found another IT job eventually and life went on just fine.

I thought I'd post on here, because I enjoy giving advice to someone just starting out. Personally, I'm a VMware vSphere nerd, working on cloud projects. Not something small, something very big... hundreds of ESX(i) hosts and thousands of Virtual Machines. I make a lot of money doing it :p. I've worked at some really big companies, and now I work for the Department of Defense as a contractor.

The number one piece of advice I'd give you OP, is do what you think is right. I've lost jobs because of the fact I make an attempt to be completely ethical, but in the end it has paid off. More than that, don't listen to people who talk badly about people who have certifications, especially from people who don't have any themselves. Usually, its because they're not capable of it, bad test takers or otherwise. Being ashamed of your certifications, and hiding them, is a personal choice -- I'd never tell someone who is trying to get a job NOT to display EVERY advantage they can. I also recommend you don't listen to an older IT guy who has been at x company a long time and who has never been much of anywhere else. He has a lot of experience learning how THEIR environment works, and that has very little relation to anything outside of their little box they live in. You'll find that out quick as you move up the chain. Comments like, "this or that doesn't work well in this environment" are usually good signs, especially when it makes no damned sense. If they sound like they're full of shit, they probably are. It is code speak for "don't change what I know", because even if it makes things better it loosens their control. Genuinely smart IT guys with a successful career know that helping others and being teachers will help themselves far more than giving someone with less experience a hard time 'all the time'. There was a comment above about a guy who works with people who laugh at people with certifications... you don't need coworkers like that. Leave that small minded stuff behind and work someplace else. Dust your shoulders off... Having said that, be able to back yourself up on what you know, and don't brain dump and cheat your certs. If you did that, then they have every right to laugh at you and give you hell.

Do your time. Everyone has to work in the trenches at first. Get that job at best buy, be a geek squad employee -- nothing wrong with that at all. I bet you right now that there will be a genuinely descent guy on his way up who will help you along. There will also be assholes trying to compare epeens and are going nowhere in a hurry, use your brain and figure people out ;). Learn everything you can and do the best job you can, and eventually, it will pay off. Having a couple of years experience doing that work plus the certifications can look good to a company who does warranty work, etc, and those places tend to have people who do entry level server work. They will hire you to work on PC stuff, but will have no problem with you learning from people who also do the higher end stuff. Eventually one thing leads to another, and you'll gain experience. It just takes time. The experience should be worth more than pay (at least at first), so I'd look for a chance to get a lot of experience and grow over making an extra couple of bucks an hour being pigeonholed. Eventually 2-3$ extra or less per hour will seem like peanuts ;).

My two cents.

This is the greatest advice i've read thus far, and I completely agree with all you've said. Means a lot to me as I'm studying to become a sysadmin. I have an uncle who works as a network administrator for a telecommunications company and he says the same thing.

Thank you!!

The verdict is in for the 702/practical:
810/900 (passing score is 700): I passed!

(!!!)

I had flagged so many questions, and actually left so many blank for later review (because I had no clue), just to get thru the easy ones first, that I thought for sure I was going to fail. I kept seeing my $150 sprout wings and fly away during the exam :eek:

I atually think the Holcombe book I used was insufficient for the exam. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the replies/advice!.

The verdict is in for the 702/practical:
810/900 (passing score is 700): I passed!

(!!!)

I had flagged so many questions, and actually left so many blank for later review (because I had no clue), just to get thru the easy ones first, that I thought for sure I was going to fail. I kept seeing my $150 sprout wings and fly away during the exam :eek:

I atually think the Holcombe book I used was insufficient for the exam. :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the replies/advice!.

Congratulations to you. I'd start checking around for a place who does business warranty repair. You might find something for 10-15 an hour replacing motherboards and hard drives. The only way from there is up though, and you just landed a piece of it today. Congratulations again.

Congrats on your A+ scores those are very, very respectable. The Practical is extremely challenging because there's multiple correct answers.

A+ is only the beginning but it's where you start. I'm a proponent in certification but just remember except for A+, N+ and MCDST, certifications aren't meant for entry level people without/with little job experience. Certification is used to help validate what you already know.

Congratulations again. Now, you already have profiles on LinkedIn, Dice, Career Builder and Monster right? (hint, hint) Also I recommend Indeed.com, it's a job search engine, it can pickup jobs on a company website that may not be posted on job portals.

Congrats on the A+.

Now go score your Network+, the training I used for that, was simple. proprofs.com I think it is, has flash cards, that you can either do on the pc or print for the real life effect.

Flash card yourself, and study some material. Learn the OSI model, and basic TCP/IP functions, and go smash that one too.

It really is pretty easy once you learn those few basic things right there. And those flash cards are awesome, they really were what seperated me from an easy pass, to I coulda fell asleep and passed it ;)

Thanks badboyeee lol and thanks Database, stiltner, adam30k, defuseme2k, and all the others that I couldn't fit in this short speech lol... I have submitted applications/resumes to:

Staples - Resident Technician
BestBuy - "Counterintelligent Agent" (Computer Tech)
MicroCenter - Tech Level I
ZT Systems - Computer Tech
V.A. Hospital - Information Systems Specialist (I have a dream...)

Bestbuy was the only one that asked what hourly wage I want. I put $16.00. I'm looking forward to their response. Maybe they'll offer me $11 with a $5 mail-in rebate lol.

Congrats on your A+. I know that feeling about your money sprouting wings when taking these tests. I recently took sec + after doing a 60min pass through on one of those exam crams. I was damn sure I was going to fail, somehow managed to come through with an 865 though.

Don't limit yourself to applying for the Geeksquad type jobs. There are plenty of other places in need of Desktop support and other entry level IT jobs and will gladly look at someone with basic certs. Also dont hesitate to hit up the temp services like Robert Half, alot of bigger corporations like to hire their Teir1 guys this way so they can do a try before they buy type deal.

Thanks Mister Goat! I will actually take that advice.

If you passed Sec+ with only 1 hour of studying, you are the GOAT. You da goat, dog. :)

One big reason I applied to retail stores is in hopes of getting some crazy sweet employee discounts and/or free stuff, but also to build professional experience specifically in this field, of which I have none so far. I do have 11 years of experience as a big time enthusiast and fixing/building for fam/friends, usually for free of course.

Goat dogs? Sounds like some sort of freak of nature... anyhow.. I have 12 years of IT experience all the way from Desktop support to Systems Engeneering. I snagged the compTIA certs for a couple of specific jobs that required them, I fully expected them to be totaly easy .... ooops..

Before I say anything more... there is nothing at all wrong with retail type computing experience, add that with possible discounts and it can be a definete win.

That said, Enterprise IT and Technician work are two entirely different beasts. If you are looking to grow into the bigger sys admin type rolls its always better to already be in-house and have a feel for the lay of the land. Additionaly and more importantly in my opinion is that you will have a much better chance to build solid profesional relationships. In the long run having good contacts will land you the really good jobs.

One word of advice an old freind of mine told me... "The day you know everything about IT is typicaly the same day you get fired". Remember you can never stop learning.

Hmm, more great advice. I'll definitely keep that in mind because the bigger picture is more important than an employee discount for sure.

Sorry for the confusion about goat dogs. It was a play on the "You da man" and the nicknaming people "dog" that is common among some age groups, lol.

great advice from everyone here - grats on your A+ Benny. I personally just finished my N+ and am looking at getting my Sec+/CCNA next. I am combo'ing the two because its nice to have a real place to see Sec+ theory put into effect over a network. Good to see so many helpful people - keep the suggestions coming!

Bestbuy was the only one that asked what hourly wage I want. I put $16.00. I'm looking forward to their response. Maybe they'll offer me $11 with a $5 mail-in rebate lol.

lol

Good luck with the job search, let us know how it goes. I just applied to the VA Hospital as well for an Infosec job, its a bit of a long shot but never hurts to try anyway. :D

I was able to complete the CompTIA trifecta before year end (A+/N+/Sec+) now am moving on to CCNA and a couple MS certs this year. So working on all that including looking for a better job.

Back