Microphone recommendations

Falknir

n00b
I am looking for a good microphone to go along with my upcoming Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 / ATH-A700 purchase to replace my Planatronics Gamecom 367 headset.

While I quickly browsed through the limited selection at Newegg and spotted a MXL AC-404, Logitech 980186-0403, and MXL Studio 1 is there anything else there that would make me consider something else with great desktop recording quality? I would like to keep below $100 on a good mic and accessories, but not have the blah voice-quality associated with cheap desktop mics.

i have the logitech one you listed. my gaming buddies always ask me what kind of headset i have. i love to tell them that i have a pair of headphones and desktop mic. they just can't believe it. the quality is excellent for gaming, skype calls, etc. i highly recommend it.

The only thing I can help you with is to tell you not to get the Logitech mic that plugs directly in your sound card. I have it and it's shit.

I'm not sure about the usb version.

**edit** I know a lot of people that have the Zalman clip-on mic and they say it's good.

yes, there seems to be quite a difference in quality between the analog and USB versions of the logitech desktop mic. i recommend the USB version.

i own a plantronics headset but a desktop mic from logitech would be better. check newegg for some, or u can get a razer headset.

Well, the reason i'm replacing my headset is to get better audio and a better comfort level, and do not want to upgrade horizontally to another headset. Unless Sennheiser PC350 is going to provide equal or better audio quality then the ATH-A700 / ATH-AD700, but heard of a lot of people returning the PC350 for better audio quality headphones regardless if it had a mic or not.

I heard the same stories of the terrible recording quality of Logitech analog mics, and somewhere around the same quality of my several year-old Plantronics .Audio 300 analog mic (that my friends called nasally, muffled, etc.).

The Zalman Zm-Mic1 from what I heard is acceptable, mediocre quality with a very-thin cord and a bad clip-on design. I would have to heavily sleeve it on the first day or my cats would see this shifting and dangling thin-cord as a toy and destroy it on the first day. That and heard you have to really force it onto the ATH-AD700/A700 cord. So there seems to be some conflicting opinion on it's recording quality.

I have been hearing excellent reviews of the Marshall Electronics MXL AC-404, and reminds me of a boundary mic for stage and band recordings. Drawbacks there is no mute button and can pick up all noise to clearly in a room, which should be adjustable with settings (I hope).

The only other perfect mics that I'm hearing about is well-beyond my acceptable price-range on this.

So thus far, it seems to be between the Marshall Electronics MXL AC-404 and the Logitech 980186-0403.

Back