Microphone...non headset

Wazooty

Limp Gawd
Seems these are pretty rare, but does anyone have suggestions for non headset microphones?

I'd like to have the freedom to use the mic plus my computer speakers without having to wear the headset around my neck.

Ideally I'd like something I could place under my monitor (maybe 2 ft away) and never have to touch, but I'm open to ideas. Thing I;d be kind of worried about is how much sound outside my voice it would pick up. My computer fans certainly aren't loud, but sometimes these things work in unusual ways.

Thanks.

Seems these are pretty rare, but does anyone have suggestions for non headset microphones?

I'd like to have the freedom to use the mic plus my computer speakers without having to wear the headset around my neck.

Ideally I'd like something I could place under my monitor (maybe 2 ft away) and never have to touch, but I'm open to ideas. Thing I;d be kind of worried about is how much sound outside my voice it would pick up. My computer fans certainly aren't loud, but sometimes these things work in unusual ways.

Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

It's a great all purpose mic. Not audiophile quality/recording artist perfection. But it's an amazing computer mic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I actually use a Microsoft hd webcam mic. The mic on a lot of webcams is pretty good.

If you are willing to spend at least some amount of money, have interest in transmitting your voice at a good quality, do not use a webcam microphone or the zalman. Sure they work but that is all they do, work, meaning transmit your voice in a coherent way to the other party but with no regards to volume, noise and signal quality. If you want others to hear you good in games, skype conversations, if you are thinking about making some videos or just recording your self speaking for the purpose of lectures etc. you need a good microphone. I use skype 2-3 hours a day, I make instructionals and tutor physics and math over the internet and I really like my Yeti USB microphone. It is great, has many settings to adjust the room you are in. One bad thing about is that it is not as light and small as other mic's. It is heavy because it has good components in it. I had mine for over a year now and it is the best non headset microphone I had. Headsets are very uncomfortable for me after an hour or so so this was the best choice.

If you are willing to spend at least some amount of money, have interest in transmitting your voice at a good quality, do not use a webcam microphone or the zalman. Sure they work but that is all they do, work, meaning transmit your voice in a coherent way to the other party but with no regards to volume, noise and signal quality. If you want others to hear you good in games, skype conversations, if you are thinking about making some videos or just recording your self speaking for the purpose of lectures etc. you need a good microphone. I use skype 2-3 hours a day, I make instructionals and tutor physics and math over the internet and I really like my Yeti USB microphone. It is great, has many settings to adjust the room you are in. One bad thing about is that it is not as light and small as other mic's. It is heavy because it has good components in it. I had mine for over a year now and it is the best non headset microphone I had. Headsets are very uncomfortable for me after an hour or so so this was the best choice.

For your uses that is great. But for games, it is overkill. A webcam mic or cheap boom mic work great. I test my mic in playback and my volume is good and clear, people I play with also confirm that I come through clear. Setup is more important here than the gear, sure if the gear is not working no good. But you still need to check your levels, top of the line gear will still sound awful if you clip your levels.

I used to use the Zalman exclusively. The mic quality is definitely not bad but there is a gigantic difference in clarity when compared to a BLUE or even something such as this (what I currently use):

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM

Some may say that for games it is overkill, but I'll tell you what - When someone is talking through a webcam, I want to literally smash their webcam through their skulls about 47 times because I don't care to hear their echo/feedback, their static, or their AGC'd transmission if they were not aware of their webcam having that on as default.

The better the sound quality the less you have to worry about transmission failure and communication error. Simple as that.

And sometimes people do more than game even if initially they are only gaming. Expansion for the future is key, but at ~$10 for a Zalman you can't really go wrong to get you started at a low price hahaha. That Zalman will destroy any webcam mic sub $90.

I use a logitech webcam mic. I've used it for about 3 years, and generally use it on skype 4-8 hours daily. Using it with speakers, sound quality is perfectly fine, no feedback unless I turn everything WAY up, and PLENTY of overhead to turn the mic volume up further if needed. I've used it with 7-10 different people on skype, while playing games and watching TV..

It's about where you have it set up and the settings you have enabled on the PC. If you enable mic boost at +30DB, you're going to sound like ass, and pick up everything for 30 miles, even using a $200 mic.

I used to have a Zalman mic, it was alright. Altec Lansing mics are alright too, havent used one in 10+ years, but it was a desk mic and worked awesomely.

Desktop mics are the way to go. The Zalman clip on is okay, but it's pointless, especially if you say no headsets as a clip-on with headphones barely acts differently and it'll still tether you. Besides, what, do you need your mic to keep working when you get up to take a piss? Get a desktop mic and you can place it behind your speakers, aim it how you want, and get better quality sound especially if you use (even just sometimes) speakers and not headphones as it will reject more speaker noise due to better placement. Clip on mics are for convenience only - they are never placed well - but if you're not walking around with it then they are LESS convenient.

I use one of those $1-2 no-name desktop mics (from the 90s) on Skype, and I guarantee you it will sound as good (or very close) as your Zalman clip-ons with headphones in use, and a bit better when I use my speakers (which I usually do). Hell, I was thinking of replacing it with a more expensive microphone, but when I mention it to my Skype friends, they advise me not to bother because my mic sounds fine. I wouldn't record music on it, but not like the Zalman is good enough for that either.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATR-...56&sr=1-2&keywords=audio+technica+desktop+mic

Last edited:
I have this one as well. Surprisingly its a very very good mic. Comes with a really long cable too.

My only gripe is that it doesnt clip onto a shirt and the clip is too wide to clip onto the cable on my shures unless I clip it onto the cinch.

I do not have one, but seems like maybe you could pad the clip by wrapping a rubber band around one side of the clip.

Question for the folks with the Yeti and Snowball mics. How close should the speaker be to the mic? Seems like that style mic would need to be fairly close to the mic which would put it in front of desktop speakers. Is this the case or can you put the mic behind the speakers and still get good sound quality?

Back