Microcenter Ryzen 1600 $169

Especially if you luck out and get a 1600\1600x that is a reboxed 1800\1800x and get 2 extra unlocked cores as some people are reporting.

I love this pricing but can't justify an upgrade for either of my 2 boxes: (i7-4770k and e3-1240v3)

I'd have to go buy 16-32G of DDR4 as well...

Yes, the odds of having a problem because of the segfault issue is very low. You do almost need to go looking for it.

I did do the RMA with a 1400 I have. It's not a simple process though. First you contact AMD. They then request pics of your system to see that you have good cooling and a proper heatsink.
They ask for screenshots of some voltages, etc as well. Then if they are satisfied with what they see it's time for the next round of requests where they tell you to try increasing certain voltages and test again. After that doesn't work then you can let them know and you finally get approved for the RMA. They will send you a label so you can send in the cpu.
It's not a quick and painless process. There may be days between email replies.

So my RMA return 1400 is a new batch and segfault free so I'd hate to get a 1600 now which was an old batch and had the issue. It would just bug me. This price is really tempting though. Maybe I'll stop in to the store after work today to look at date codes. It seems like anything 1725 or later is OK from forums I have read. That is the main thing to look for if any of you are going to the store to get this.

Might consider a six core 6800 or 6850 on the microcenter closeout pricing for x99?

Should be about $75 to $100 more overall and have quite a few more bells and whistles, have more IPC, more PCI-E lanes, quad channel RAM, and overclock better.

That's the decision I made. 6850 hex core overclocked @ 4.2 on all cores with all auto settings, a Gigabyte x99 board, and four sticks of 4GB quad channel ram (8 slots), 40 PCI-E lanes, USB 3.1, all the fixings. My CPU was $300, and you can probably find a full featured open box, or closeout X99 board for $75 to $100.

Last edited:
Might consider a six core 6800 or 6850 on the microcenter closeout pricing for x99?

Should be about $75 to $100 more overall and have quite a few more bells and whistles, have more IPC, more PCI-E lanes, quad channel RAM, and overclock better.

That's the decision I made. 6850 hex core overclocked @ 4.2 on all cores with all auto settings, a Gigabyte x99 board, and four sticks of 4GB quad channel ram (8 slots), 40 PCI-E lanes, USB 3.1, all the fixings. My CPU was $300, and you can probably find a full featured open box, or closeout X99 board for $75 to $100.

Interesting Idea.

my local MC (IL/Westmont) has $100 off a combo & some x99 boards at $189-$199 NEW. the 6850k is $350, so that becomes $440 + tax...
Also seems 6850k is better than ryzen7 at gaming:
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1728?vs=2016

Dead socket vs one with legs. Westmont always has the fun stuff ;)
Not really a dead socket. There are all the way up to 24 cores in the Xeon line for x99. Sure they won't be making any new product going to x99, but as server machines are surplused on eBay there'll be a better upgrade path (and for cheap in a few years) for a multipurpose high core count X99 board in the future over the Ryzen 350 or 370 boards.

Last edited:
I really was considering it as a replacement for my Phenom 2 plex server which works but just barely. CPU and motherboard prices are pretty good and most have some rebates on top of that. Oh, I also need 16gb of DDR4... and a m.2 ssd... and suddenly I'm at $500 to replace a functional secondary system. Nah...

Anyway I suspect the price will only get cheaper as Intel fights to remind everyone they're still around, also Zen 2/+ (which is it? no one knows) is coming in Q1-Q2 18 I think.

I really was considering it as a replacement for my Phenom 2 plex server which works but just barely. CPU and motherboard prices are pretty good and most have some rebates on top of that. Oh, I also need 16gb of DDR4... and a m.2 ssd... and suddenly I'm at $500 to replace a functional secondary system. Nah...

Anyway I suspect the price will only get cheaper as Intel fights to remind everyone they're still around, also Zen 2/+ (which is it? no one knows) is coming in Q1-Q2 18 I think.

I mean 16GB RAM and M.2 SSD are pretty luxurious for a Plex server..

I mean 16GB RAM and M.2 SSD are pretty luxurious for a Plex server..

Yeah I mean I guess I could just do 8gb and keep my old little 60gb ssd, but if I'm changing everything else out why not spend the extra $100-150

Yeah I mean I guess I could just do 8gb and keep my old little 60gb ssd, but if I'm changing everything else out why not spend the extra $100-150

I mean I guess you skip the extras if that's what tips you into "Nah...." .. :)

Temptation got to me, I picked up one of these just a few hours ago. I did ask if I could look at date codes and one sales guy let me look at a few. The first one off the shelf he grabbed was a 1726 so it should be fine. About 6 others we checked out were older.
What pushed me over the edge to pick it up was the fact that less than a week ago I picked up an open box X370 motherboard for about $77. I took my receipt back and they essentially did a return, then they added it back to the cpu and took off $30 for the special bundle discount. One manager didn't want to to that, but I said they have done it before, then another guy came out and said to go ahead and give me the deal. So I paid the $77 for the board before, now this time the cpu minus the $30, but with tax was $154 and change. Oh, and the board has a $20 rebate so I just filled out that stuff now and am ready to mail it off. It's Gigabyte so I'm pretty confident I'll get the $20 eventually. I haven't had trouble with them and rebates yet.
Can't beat Microcenter if you play your cards right and take advantage of open box!

I don't think you'd notice the difference in a Plex server. That's an extra $100-150 for extra HDD space.

I've tried to get combo discount on open box and they say no since open box already discounted.

I've tried to get combo discount on open box and they say no since open box already discounted.

Yeah I tried to do that too, in the past they would let you take a discounted open box mobo and still get the combo discount. No longer. Maybe if you go to the store and get in someone's face about it, but at that point is it really worth it to save $10-20.

I think I've decided to let my old Plex server limp along until Zen 2 (or + or whatever they're going to call it) comes out next year. I like to do top to bottom upgrades, but right now my 6600k main/gaming box isn't worth replacing... kind of screwed up my trickle down economics upgrade method.

Any reason to choose this over the $189 7600k for gaming?

If you game at 1080p\60hz Intel will be better. Anything higher and your more GPU limited than CPU.
You can likely use a cheaper MB with Ryzen but may need more expensive ram. So its a toss up.

Purely for gaming, I'd get a 8400 over either at that price point.

Any reason to choose this over the $189 7600k for gaming?

Not if you already have it. I have 6600k, same boat. Want to upgrade, but it would be more of a side-grade since I mostly just game on my main box.

If you game at 1080p\60hz Intel will be better. Anything higher and your more GPU limited than CPU.
You can likely use a cheaper MB with Ryzen but may need more expensive ram. So its a toss up.

Purely for gaming, I'd get a 8400 over either at that price point.
Hmmm if I could get my filthy mitts on one.

Not if you already have it. I have 6600k, same boat. Want to upgrade, but it would be more of a side-grade since I mostly just game on my main box.

well, I currently am rocking an i5 750 so any of these would be a pretty big upgrade. I might just hold off for a bit, I've waited this long, what's a few more months?

So slightly off topic, but I wanted this for my Plex server (old phenom 2 955) which was struggling... until I found a (sort of) hidden/buried option titled "enable hardware acceleration". Even with a lowly Geforce 610 this made a huge difference. I swapped that for a GT730 from another system (the cards look exactly the same, funny). Anyway fast forwarding or whatever now syncs up in 3-4 seconds instead of 60.

So I guess I'll be hanging on the old boy Phenom for a little longer.

Nice I'm going to see if this price is still available in November when I travel to Long Island.

Microcenter changed the deal. Now it's $50 off the bundle, instead of the normal $30 off the bundle plus the $30 off for the 1600x. And this appears to be across the board for Ryzen chips. So if you wanted the 1600 you are $10 higher, but if you wanted one of the other chips it might work out a little better in your favor. Kind of a wash.

edit - bundle price adjustments, $50 off for the bundle, is for Intel stuff as well

Back