Microcenter - Phenom II X4 840 - $49.99

Alyosha

[H]ard|Gawd
I got this in a regular Microcenter e-mail. The e-mail said the price was only good when bundled with a motherboard but you seem to be able to add it to your cart without a board. If you've got an MC in town, it may be worth a try.

Processor

Nice price! Too bad you still can't find a combo for less than $100, since the i3 2100 beats this in many tasks while using less power.

If you can overclock this a bit and unlock the extra cache, it might be a helluva deal.

Already oos at Tustin this morning. Last night there was 10+. Over the weekend when they were letting you combo this plus money off on mobos, looks like that is over.

Hmm. Its a good cpu, and that price is excellent. Until you remember, it used to be a "buy the cpu and get the motherboard free" deal. As late as last month, you spent $98 and got the cpu plus a choice of 3-4 motherboards.
Now if you only need the cpu, this is excellent.
IMHO, this should have been called an Athlon II, as it does not have the cache a Phenom II has.
I own one and bang for the buck, again, a good choice. Note: It is not a great overclocker, as it is a locked processor.

I thought the 800s *were* Athlon IIs. Guess I was wrong. Still a good price either way.

I thought the 800s *were* Athlon IIs. Guess I was wrong. Still a good price either way.

they are, but AMD called them Phenoms since the high end Propus cores were encroaching on Phenom territory.

EDIT: BTW FML, I just bought this CPU used for $75 >_<

That particular 800 actually is an Athlon II, but AMD opted to call it a Phenom due to clock speed, I believe. I have this chip as well, and it is very nice, especially at this price. But it definitely isn't a true Phenom.

That particular 800 actually is an Athlon II, but AMD opted to call it a Phenom due to clock speed, I believe. I have this chip as well, and it is very nice, especially at this price. But it definitely isn't a true Phenom.

still a very nice chip. regardless.

If the price with mobo comes out the same as I3/mobo combo then I would go the i3 otherwise this is a good deal.

You guys are a few days late. I got the email newsletter on Friday night and went to pick up a combo for my cousin on Saturday. The CPU plus a MSI 880G-E45 came out to $78 + tax before a $20 rebate on the motherboard (the CPU rang up at $48 for me). Other boards end up being free out the door or free after rebate.

This is showing as $49.99 again.....only after added to cart. Otherwise it doesn't have a price.

Also: Their advertisment on the front page says up to $80 off a board but that doesn't show up in cart....?

Last edited:
This is showing as $49.99 again.....only after added to cart. Otherwise it doesn't have a price.

Also: Their advertisment on the front page says up to $80 off a board but that doesn't show up in cart....?

Deals like these are instore only.

Deals like these are instore only.

Why can't I put in the cart for local pickup? I need an accurate price before I go to the store.

I've already selected my local store in the dropdown...

Does anyone know that if I "checkout" online for instore pickup, if they'll then take off $80 once I get to the store?

Why can't I put in the cart for local pickup? I need an accurate price before I go to the store.

I've already selected my local store in the dropdown...

Does anyone know that if I "checkout" online for instore pickup, if they'll then take off $80 once I get to the store?
when I add it to my cart at my local store it shows as $49.99

Well, I see it now again as $49.99 w/o motherboard.

If I check out like that will they give it to me w/o board? I'd rather buy a board elsewhere or use one that I have...

Well, I see it now again as $49.99 w/o motherboard.

If I check out like that will they give it to me w/o board? I'd rather buy a board elsewhere or use one that I have...
yeah they'll sell it to you for that price. They might ask you a lot of questions about why you aren't buying one of their boards though :)

good deal if you already have a board and a 64x2 cpu or athlon 2 x2 cpu that price is very good for a quad core cpu

I would get the free board with it and then sell the board.

I don't think you get a free board with it.

Their advertisment on the main page says:

$129.99 - $40 instant - $40 board = $49.99

But if you stick it in your cart alone it shows $49.99

If you add a board, you pay the full price of the board.

I don't think you get a free board with it.

Their advertisment on the main page says:

$129.99 - $40 instant - $40 board = $49.99

But if you stick it in your cart alone it shows $49.99

If you add a board, you pay the full price of the board.

The previous deal had the free board that showed full price in the cart, but it looks like they wised up. Just got the current promotion via email and it specifically excludes the 840 from getting the additional $50 mobo discount.

the board discounts are not working, got 2 cpu's and had the CS rep sit there and manually type in the SKU for each mobo to see if the discount would add. None would work with this CPU.

The CPU alone for this price is still amazing though. Houston store still had several left last night.

Back