Microcenter - i7 Intel Processors and Boards

Micro Center is becoming very competitive. I wish I had one closer than 15 miles.

Yeah, the nearest one to me is about 40 minutes away, but it's well worth it now IMO. Their prices do rock sometimes. I'm eagerly awaiting their Black Friday ad. Hopefully something good is in it.

But I'm glad Microcenter has carried these top notch products on their first release date. Finally I have a B&M near me that actually knows how to run a computer retail business. <3 Microcenter. Instead of waiting 2+ days for something from Newegg, I can go right away and get it from Microcenter. :) The gas money cancels out the shipping costs, lol. :p

wow sexy... too bad it's like 45 minutes away by car...
wish I had the money to afford something like this... knew I should've waited on building my computers...

oh well... i can have 2 core2 systems for roughly the price of 1 decent core i7 system... but that doesn't mean I still don't want an i7 system... *sigh :(

Micro Center is becoming very competitive. I wish I had one closer than 15 miles.

They really are becoming competitive on processor pricing. Their memory selection isn't all that great and their motherboard pricing is still hit or miss.

I had no idea the i7 launch prices were going to be so cheap o_O

I was sure I was going to get a used q6600 or 9550 when I build after xmas, but that i7-920 is cheap!

I was sure I was going to get a used q6600 or 9550 when I build after xmas, but that i7-920 is cheap!

Yeah, and yet a lot of people were bitching at the price of the 965 EE - which is very reasonable given where the previous generations of Extreme CPU's started out at (~$1500).

And the best part is, that $300 920 will overclock extremely well too!!!

The existance of a $300ish CPU at release's been widely discussed here and elsewhere for a few months. Serves you right for not paying attention. Ram+mobo prices will still make a c2q system several hundred bucks cheaper though.

The existance of a $300ish CPU at release's been widely discussed here and elsewhere for a few months. Serves you right for not paying attention. Ram+mobo prices will still make a c2q system several hundred bucks cheaper though.

Yeah...i7 6gb ram/mobo/cpu comes out to around $900....Core2 4gb ram/mobo/cpu can be done for $300.

And don't forget the slim difference seen in the [H] articles between a C2Q and i7...

And don't forget the slim difference seen in the [H] articles between a C2Q and i7...

Sure, for games... not everything else in any other article I have seen. Also, quadfire or trisli gets unleashed by these cpu's.

I had one near me in TX, and I gotta say that I never would have considered 15 miles all that far. Sure it was less than 15 miles away, but the Garland Fry's wasn't, and once it opened up, I passed up MC on the way to Fry's at least once a week.

That said, I liked it even better when the Plano Fry's opened, which was maybe 5 miles away (though the history of plano isn't nearly as good as Cowboys and Cows :D)

wooooo

off to MicroCenter to pick up my Core i7 Extreme :D :D

are they the only retailers in SoCal selling them a day early for in-store pickup? either way, I can't resist the low prices either. be back in an hour or so.

wooooo

off to MicroCenter to pick up my Core i7 Extreme :D :D

are they the only retailers in SoCal selling them a day early for in-store pickup? either way, I can't resist the low prices either. be back in an hour or so.

are you going the one in tustin?

let's us know what mobo and ram do they have

thxxx

I had one near me in TX, and I gotta say that I never would have considered 15 miles all that far. Sure it was less than 15 miles away, but the Garland Fry's wasn't, and once it opened up, I passed up MC on the way to Fry's at least once a week.

That said, I liked it even better when the Plano Fry's opened, which was maybe 5 miles away (though the history of plano isn't nearly as good as Cowboys and Cows :D)

You've also got another Fry's on 635 heading toward Irving and Grapevine. On that note, in this city 15 miles isn't squat. :)

For anyone who cares... The Microcenter in Chicago on Elston has A TON of i7 CPU's and MB's. They had about 10 Asus PQT boards, and 8 Intel boards. They had at least 30 processors sitting on the same table as the MB's. They also had a boatload of DDR3 ram. It didn't look like they have sold too many at all.

My guess is that this is just too pricey for most people, cause stuff usually sells out like crazy at that Microcenter.

You've also got another Fry's on 635 heading toward Irving and Grapevine. On that note, in this city 15 miles isn't squat. :)

Sure, but like the Arlington Fry's, that one's a bit out of the way. I only went to the one in Irving when going to, or coming from, DFW.

are you going the one in tustin?

let's us know what mobo and ram do they have

thxxx

Yep, I just got back from the one in Tustin. :D They had 10 Core i7 965 Extreme's and 25 Core i7 920's in stock (well, 9 and 24 now :cool:). However, they only had 3GB and 6GB Patriot 1600MHz memory kits, so I grabbed them for now just to get my rig up and running for launch. :) They were also supposed to have the 6GB Corsair kits, which I was originally going to buy, but after the employees searched their stock for over 20 minutes they simply couldn't find any in their inventory.

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Looks like someone at Intel screwed up when they misplaced this sticker. :eek: Meh, it's not the end of the world, I'll just peel it up with a blow dryer.

IMG_0579.jpg

They really are becoming competitive on processor pricing. Their memory selection isn't all that great and their motherboard pricing is still hit or miss.

I've talked to the manager - why only PM on CPUs? You get 0% attach rate if people only come in to buy the processor. Manager was a dick and refused to listen to me.

I've talked to the manager - why only PM on CPUs? You get 0% attach rate if people only come in to buy the processor. Manager was a dick and refused to listen to me.

Their corporate offices no doubt set the prices. They are hit or miss on their motherboards like I said. Hard drives they are often quite competitive on and they are competitive on a few other products as well.

Their corporate offices no doubt set the prices. They are hit or miss on their motherboards like I said. Hard drives they are often quite competitive on and they are competitive on a few other products as well.
Ram is pretty decent if you are ok with MIR's. I'm more likely to do it when there is a physical store involved but still...
RE: mobos, I wish they stocked more. The last time I was in there they only had one Intel-based ASUS board, and only 4 or 5 other intel cpus mobos. Just too few for that kind of place.

Yeah I got my Corsair rebate back a few weeks ago. When you consider that dead RAM means lost time. Paying for "same-day shipping" by driving to a store only 10miles away? Not so bad. The same can't be said of their $300+ prices for boards that are selling for half of that on Newegg. Mind you this store has a relatively large selection, I'd say the back wall stretching for at least 15-20', and 3 or 4 rows high.

Yeah mobo selection is pretty weak, and the prices even weaker. When I got my C2Q there during the famous $199 sale, I grabbed a asus P5K for like $160 I believe. Got home and found it on newegg for significantly cheaper. Still, can't beat it if you've got to get it in your grubby little mitts the same day.

Ram is pretty decent if you are ok with MIR's. I'm more likely to do it when there is a physical store involved but still...
RE: mobos, I wish they stocked more. The last time I was in there they only had one Intel-based ASUS board, and only 4 or 5 other intel cpus mobos. Just too few for that kind of place.

Their selection of memory isn't the best. Not by a long shot. Fry's has them beat hands down in that area.

When I bought my Q66000 there (on the $199 sale as well) I bought nothing else. Just the CPU. Ordered all of the other components from Newegg.

I'm famous for the zero attach thing :)

all i have around here is frys....too bad theres no micro center around the bay area :*(

Back